INS Vikrant (IAC1) & INS Vikramaditya - News & Discussions

A few years back, there were several reports stating that IN Mig-29Ks were suffering from low serviciability rates(14 - 22%), and that the Navy wanted these jets to be further roughened up... Then a couple years ago, I saw a news article that said that the CNS has stated that all problems regarding the jets had been resolved. So what is the availability rate now, 70-75%? Because if Vicky carries its full complement of 30 Migs and 10 Hepters, we'll have 21-23 jets available for offensive strike missions and defensive CAPs at any given time...and I guess that's pretty good for a STOBAR carrier(?) @vstol Jockey, @Gautam, @randomradio, @Ashwin??

The earlier serviceability issues were resolved.

Anyway, out of 45 jets, the carriers will only carry up to 24 available jets during peacetime, so the issue wasn't as serious as people imagine it to be. For operational needs, the availability only has to be 55%.

The real problem will come when the Vikrant enters service and we won't have a second fleet of Mig-29s for it.

E4syo5xVIAAW1tz.jpg

1624595100080.png

Pics from Rajnath Singh's visit to Cochin Shipyard Ltd.

After 12 long years. Anyway Pretty fast for a country who take 5-7 years to construct a destroyer.
Reasons are publically available. From gear shaft to steel. Phase 3 funding was approved only in 2019. Then covid hit.

Update yourself. Frigates and destroyers take 4-5 years which is normal even as per European standards. We do not have a civil ship building industry.

Reasons are publically available. From gear shaft to steel. Phase 3 funding was approved only in 2019. Then covid hit.

Update yourself. Frigates and destroyers take 4-5 years which is normal even as per European standards. We do not have a civil ship building industry.
Thats why i said its impressive time frame ( obviously with a condition ).
INS Visakhapatnam, the latest Destroyer is launched in 2015, and when it started sea trial? Roughly 7 years after. The lead ship of Nilgiri class frigate is expected to finish in five years.

We're in June 2021 & we already have the 2nd good news of 2022 - confirmation that 2022 is going to live up to it's promise of being a happening year .

What's the 1st good news you ask ? Good question . Come what may , we'd definitely immunize what's left of our population by Dec 2022 in the worst case scenario. I've already shared the 2nd good news with you .

Plenty more to come hopefully viz : ATAGS deal being signed , full complement of the Rafales recieved & an agreement for another similar qty signed ( hey , it's 2022 , okay , anything's possible ) , etc

Thats why i said its impressive time frame ( obviously with a condition ).
INS Visakhapatnam, the latest Destroyer is launched in 2015, and when it started sea trial? Roughly 7 years after. The lead ship of Nilgiri class frigate is expected to finish in five years.
Nilgiri class is the first ships with fully modular construction. Both shipyards took two-year break just to modernize which was after P15B. There will be obvious delays because of covid as the entire supply chain was disrupted. Unlike armchair generals, this is real-world work.

Nilgiri class is the first ships with fully modular construction. Both shipyards took two-year break just to modernize which was after P15B. There will be obvious delays because of covid as the entire supply chain was disrupted. Unlike armchair generals, this is real-world work.
Come back and quote me the day we finish construction of a destroyer class ship with in a short time like 2-3 years . And don't brag like a failed blacksmith blaming his tools, planned time frame for most of the Nilgiri class is 4+ years.

FYI , despite of being the new design & a revolutionary concept,USS Zumwalt finished with ina short time of 3-4 years.

Come back and quote me the day we finish construction of a destroyer class ship with in a short time like 2-3 years . And don't brag like a failed blacksmith blaming his tools, planned time frame for most of the Nilgiri class is 4+ years.

FYI , despite of being the new design & a revolutionary concept,USS Zumwalt finished with ina short time of 3-4 years.
Well our shipbuilding isn't really at first world levels. The Brits constructed the QE class within 3 years and commissioned it too. Same for the second QE class. Shows how much behind we are in shipbuilding..

Well our shipbuilding isn't really at first world levels. The Brits constructed the QE class within 3 years and commissioned it too. Same for the second QE class. Shows how much behind we are in shipbuilding..
This is what I am also telling. We are taking hell lot of time for construction. And 12 years is an impressive time for an AC in India's way of shipbuilding.

HMS QE’s construction started in 2009 and commissioned in 2017, so ~8-9 years for a country which has years of experience of building aircraft carriers. HMS Prince of Wales also took the same amount of time but was intentionally delayed sine Royal Navy was unable to absorb 2 carriers at the time so probably would have taken 6 years if it was inducted on time.

• Informative
Reactions: Lolwa