Nice rifle. I own a civilian version.

RugervsTikka.jpg

What caliber is Indian getting? .308 or 6,5 Creedmoor? The 6,5 is better for long range, though a tad light for seal hunting, but outclasses the venerable .308 any day. I'm not sure if the Tikka T3x has the option of a .338 conversion though.
Nice gun, Most likely 308 version will be the one India picks, 338LM could be a possibility, creedmoor is doubtful, although is a wonderful round.

Reactions: Kvasir
via Shatrujeet

The NSG has adopted the SIG 716 G2 designated marksman rifle (DMR) variant in 7.62x51mm Nato. The 716G2 comes with a 16" Cold Hammer-forged barrel, 2-stage Matchlite Duo trigger group, 20-round polymer magazine and the one in use by NSG appears to have a customized flash hider.

Also, as per Shatrujeet, the SIG716 is also in service with the Special Group (SG), as well.

NSG2.PNG

r716g2-h16b-dmr_3port-right.jpg

SIG716G2 DMR

Can anyone ID the scope in the photo?

@Milspec @Hellfire @Kvasir @randomradio @Ashwin @Abingdonboy

Edit: I'm guessing these new DMRs are coming in as a replacement for the SIG SG550 Commando that was in service since before 26/11...

15737050_304.jpg

Last edited:
via Shatrujeet

The NSG has adopted the SIG 716 G2 designated marksman rifle (DMR) variant in 7.62x51mm Nato. The 716G2 comes with a 16" Cold Hammer-forged barrel, 2-stage Matchlite Duo trigger group, 20-round polymer magazine and the one in use by NSG appears to have a customized flash hider.

Also, as per Shatrujeet, the SIG716 is also in service with the Special Group (SG), as well.

View attachment 2918
r716g2-h16b-dmr_3port-right.jpg

SIG716G2 DMR

Can anyone ID the scope in the photo?

@Milspec @Hellfire @Kvasir @randomradio @Ashwin @Abingdonboy

Edit: I'm guessing these new DMRs are coming in as a replacement for the SIG SG550 Commando that was in service since before 26/11...

15737050_304.jpg

Brilliant choice,

I have long maintained AR10 platform with short stroke piston is the way to go. I even mentioned that in one of my replies to someone here.

Reactions: Parthu
Distance of 2-3 km is not small when you are in enemy territory, says Col Lalit Rai

Distance of 2-3 km is not small when you are in enemy territory, says Col Lalit Rai
During an Idea Exchange at The Indian Express office, Kargil hero and Vir Chakra recipient Col Lalit Rai (Retd) talks about the concept of surgical strikes, military preparedness and the geopolitical logic behind the regional conflict. He also reflects upon India’s preparedness with anti-missile systems.

lalit-rai-759.jpg

Col Lalit Rai (Retd) at an Idea Exchange programme at The Indian Express.

MANOJ MORE: How do you define surgical strikes?

If a body has tumour, how is it removed? It is done so with various surgical methods or radiation. It means whatever be the target-the tumor in the body or in this case the terrorist camps-it has to be removed without causing any damage to the rest of the body or surroundings. Hence, the soldiers are sent to a specific point either by helicopter or by secret routes without causing any damage on the way. The militants are targeted, and you exfiltrate troops without causing any collateral damage. Now, the exfiltration is tricky here, as the element of surprise, which is there at the time of attack, is now lost. So, others in the team divert the attention of the main target by striking the smaller targets while the troops come back.

MANOJ MORE: This involves crossing the border or LoC…

Yes it does. People have gone across even in the past and have hit targets. But in this case, there are differences. First, the very dynamic nature of the targets. They keep moving. If militants have been launched from one camp today, the same will not be used again. Also the size of targets, the level of support, the number of troops, the depth to which the troops have entered is of a different level in this case. We have done it in Myanmar of late. The distance of two to three kilometre is not small when you are in the enemy territory. It is through minefields, barbed wire, obstacles and enemy vigil.

ANURADHA MASCARENHAS: It is being said that political mileage is being taken by the Modi government out of this?

The government said they would do it and they have done it. The due credit must be given. Personally, one may not be happy or agree with so many things the government does, but on this subject, we need to be objective. The government declared it, gave a mandate to the Army and followed through while the Army delivered it. It takes guts for that. Things could have gone wrong.

MANOJ MORE: What do you make of certain parties like Congress to AAP raising questions?

It is stupid. When the announcement has been made, it is at the level of the Director General of Military Operations. He is the most important man as far as the military operations are concerned, the country must trust him. The Army is not a political party. Every army action is an extension of the political will of the country’s democratic leadership. The Army will never take arbitrary or unilateral action. We are an Army of a democratic country.

SUSHANT KULKARNI: Can you give us an outline of the preparations that are required for such strikes?

When the war is not on, we are constantly preparing ourselves through war-gaming exercises. We are constantly studying theories, maps, terrain, weather, enemy tactics, satellite images etc. We rehearse every day. Like they say, sweat during training avoids blood during war. We have hundreds of contingencies for battle scenarios. The strike, like the latest one, needs months of preparation. But because of years of preparation, we could do it in within two-three days, when the nation needed it and the leader gave the mandate for it. When you are entering the enemy territory, even one small mistake, even one of their sentry being aware of your presence can jeopardise the operation. So you can imagine how much was at stake.

SUNANDA MEHTA: Do you think the answer is going to end this? Because the rhetoric and thumping continues. Do you, as an Army man, think this will escalate into something bigger?

We teach our men that when you target the enemy, don’t target his physical form, his posts or position, target his mind. If you kill the enemy’s mind, the war is over. But to kill his mind, we have to do something spectacular. So today, when we are dealing with Pakistan, we are only treating the symptom. We are not treating the disease. The symptom is Pakistan and the disease is China.

GARIMA MISHRA: Some politicians are demanding that the footage of the surgical strike be made public. What’s your opinion?

If you will keep reacting to the propaganda, there’s no end to it. It should be made public but now is not the right time. It should be made public at the right time, in a right way. Don’t react to the propaganda now because if you start reacting to what Kejriwal and others, you will actually give in to the propaganda.

ANURADHA MASCARENHAS: Can you elaborate on China’s role?

The larger interest of China is supremacy in the region. But the real reason is economic. Its large part is landlocked, except the South China Sea. So they came up with the grand idea of CPEC– China Pakistan Economic Corridor. It is from the Xinjiang region in China to the Gwadar port in Pakistan. That gives them access to Arabian Sea. All the oil from Middle East will come in here. And at one-sixth the distance, consider what tremendous economic advantage they will get. China is already exploiting resources from almost half of Africa. All those resources can now come to them at a very low cost. Today, they have to take a long sea route. CPEC is a grand idea but here there are issues. It comes through the mountain ranges through Pakistan-Occupied Kashmir, a region held by Pakistan belonging to India, hence, the dispute. It goes down to Gwadar port, through Balochistan, which is a problem for Pakistan. That is why China is stopping our bid for security council, China is supporting Pakistan. Other big issue is the South China Sea, where they are currently receiving the resources from Africa, and the route passes through the sea choke point. There is theory that the world controlled by the choke points. One of them is the Malacca Strait, which is between Sumatra and Malaysia. China wants to control these routes by expanding its naval influence and the US does not want this to happen.

So the countries in this area, which were earlier peaceful, are now militarising. So it is a geopolitical game, it is about strategy, positioning and control. What we have with Pakistan is one issue that will arise from this geopolitical game. In politics, there are no permanent friends and in diplomacy, no enemies – the only thing permanent remains national interest. It’s the same with the US. Today, we are convenient; we are good friends for them. But sometime ago, it was Pakistan.

SUSHANT KULKARNI: There has been some infrastructure development and military upgrading in the Eastern theatre along the border with China. Where do we stand as compared to China when it comes to military power?

Their defence spending is three times ours. Their force much larger but so is their area. Another important issue with China is the Aksai Chin. It constitutes about eight per cent of the total area of Jammu and Kashmir on the east side. Back in 1949-50 China attacked and occupied the peaceful country Tibet, which shared boundaries with India. Hardly, anyone made a noise. But now, to reach Tibet they have made a road through Aksai Chin, which is considered to be an engineering marvel, can reach Tibet by road and railroad.

CHANDAN HAYGUNDE: Now after the surgical strike and India having given a message to Pakistan, do you think Pakistan will stop the terror activities or escalate them? Are we prepared for such terror strikes?

I would like to point one thing out. Internal security is not just the duty of military, paramilitary forces or police. It is also the responsibility of people. A terrorist striking within our country, cannot survive without local support. Every citizen has to be responsible enough to make sure that they do not get local support. So it’s not just the Army or police, it’s every person’s duty to make sure that terrorists do not get local support in terms of money, logistics or even people actually helping them.

SUNANDA MEHTA: How can we tackle the issue of terrorists getting local support from local villagers along the border?

That support is not very big but a small proportion of the population keeps making noise. There are other people who do not want to support the terrorists or separatists. Some people do it because of threats to their life. Terrorists come with guns, torture women in front of family members. And why are separatist leaders supported by our own politicians?

CHANDAN HAYGUNDE: There is a debate on whether to allow Pakistani artistes in India. What is your take on it?

Why just art, humanity too has no boundaries. But there are sentiments which are running high. There are people who are dying at the border. I believe, our fundamental rights have limits and that is the sovereignty of the nation. Sometimes, I feel our nation has been too much of a
soft state. This softness is at times misunderstood as weakness. So this surgical strike has proved to some extent that we are not weak.

GARIMA MISHRA: Is it the first time that the Army has got such strong support from the Central government?

To a large extent, yes. Though I have not witnessed what support they have got but from whatever I have seen and observed, I feel yes, they have got a strong support from the Central government. However, I feel that in circumstances such as these, Army officials are made ‘in-charge’. But once the work is done, his presence is questioned. There’s an old poem which says, ‘In times of war and not before/God and the soldier we adore/But in times of peace and all things righted/God is forgotten and the soldier slighted.’

MANOJ MORE: There is also a threat of nuclear arms? How do you look at it?

Have you heard about the air defence systems like Pradyumna and Ashwin. These are anti-missile systems. When a missile fired from an enemy country, there are radars which detect them, command and control is activated and then these air defence systems are launched to destroy the missile midair. India has signed the no-first-use treaty, Pakistan has not.

MANOJ MORE: Tell us your Kargil story.

They had captured a mountain in the Batalik sector and we had to get back the centre point of it. We were being fired upon every day.

Advancing even an inch was not possible. That was the time when I volunteered on behalf of my battalion. I did not know, whether I would come back alive. I took 600 people with me and decided to attack from behind. We passed through intense fire, -32 degrees temperature, heavy snowfall, extreme altitude. Every time a soldier was hit, I would put him on my lap and say sorry, and that I have to move ahead. By the time we reached there, there were eight of us and the rest were left behind or died. No sleep, no water no food. We fought for three nights and four days. My general officer asked me to return, because even I had a bullet injury. But I refused to do so. We finally managed to capture the point and others back. After this, people ask why does one join the Army, it saddens me

Reactions: suryakiran
Indian Kids checking out a Sako Tika TRG T3 TAC Bolt-Action 7.62mm NATO Sniper Rifle :

1539979388297.png

MARCOS Weaponry on a Buffet Table ( besides them are NCC cadets ) :

1539979477493.png

From what I can figure out the weapons are :
1. AK-103 with GP-25/30
2. GTAR-21 with ARSENAL 40mm UBGL
3. MP-5 Variants
4. Some briefcase like thing which might be a Ballistic Case
5. Negev SF LMG
6. OSV-96 Anti-Materiel Rifle ( the only pic available on net of OSV-96 in Indian Service )
7. Galatz DMR

Bravest of the Brave-9 PARA SF A.K.A "Mountain Rats": India's best warfighters combating terrorism in the high reaches of Kashmir, scaling peaks and doing impeccable operations even behind the enemy lines. No Indian Special Operations Unit come close to the legend that 9 PARA commands in terms of experience and battle record with their noteworthy operations being the Mandhol Gun Raid, Defence of Poonch and Akhnoor, the capture of Zulu Ridge in Kargil and the latest being the 2016 Surgical Strikes in PoK. It is the first unit to gain "Commando" status in the Indian Army, first to gain "Special Force" status, has exercised with almost 40+ Special Operations Teams around the world like SAS, SEALS, DELTA, Green Berets, Sayeret Matakal, Spetsnaz and more.

Their motto "Who Cares, Who Wins" and the war cry is Durge Mata ki Jai , Mangla Mata ki Jai and Jai Baba Bholenath. They are India's Best of the Best with the most number of Ashok Chakras (4) in the Parachute Regiment Family. It has also borne some of the legendary Special Forces Operatives like Major Walia, Captain Jasrotia, Paratrooper Sanjor Chetri and more. 9 PARA also created other Special Operations Teams in India like secretive Special Group, 10 PARA, 3 PARA, 11 PARA, NSG and 31 Rashtriya Rifles ( Commando ).

Fun Fact: India procured C-130J Strategic Airlifters from USA after 9 PARA SF Officers advised the MoD and DAC during a joint exercise with British SAS where they realized its potential.

1540058787567.png

1540058817635.png

1540058837241.png

1540058851291.png

1540058865823.png

1540058878464.png

1540058892565.png

"Mustaffa of the Desert Warfare"- 10 PARA SF A.K.A "Desert Scorpions"

Known earlier as 10 PARA Commando (cdo) , 10 PARA was formed after splitting the "Bravo" Team of 9 PARA Commando to form a new Desert Warfare Unit on July 1, 1967 to carry out long-distance desert raids behind enemy lines paving way for Infantry Attacks in a similar way as the British SAS did in North Africa during World War-2. Based at Jodhpur, 10 PARA is now one of the most combat experienced units in Indian Army with a Detachment deployed in Kashmir for Counter-Terrorism and Counter-Insurgency Operations and an additional team in Delhi.

Some of the most notable operations by 10 PARA including the infamous Chachro and Islamkot Raid of 1971 which was led by Lt Col (Then) His Highness Bhawani Singh, King of Jaipur. 10 PARA has also contributed to multiple Counter Terror Ops in Kashmir for which it has won many accolades and distinctions.

1540205193525.png

1540205260448.png

1540205275516.png

1540205328094.png

Indian Army 10th Para SF when they won Exercise Airborne Africa outgunning their counterparts from the US, South Africa, U.K., France, hosts Botswana and a clutch of African nations in the Kalahari desert.

1540205362594.png

• Informative
Reactions: GuardianRED
India planning 'surgical strike' force for surprise attacks beyond enemy lines
The unit will carry out raids deep inside enemy territory, inflicting maximum damage and leaving the battle area in the shortest time.

In the midst of increasing threats via air and sea, the government is planning to set up a 'surgical strike' unit comprising the best soldiers recruited from the three branches of the armed forces, said senior government officials.

As per an NDTV report, this unit will undertake surprise attacks deep inside enemy territory with precision, inflicting maximum damage and leaving the battle area in the shortest time. The strategy will be more lethal than the cross-border strike carried out by the country's special forces in September 2016 as the government plans to use the air force in future operations.

"The government feels the need for a special group with enhanced skills, so a unit having the best officers from all the three branches of the armed forces is being planned," said the official, who wished to be anonymous.

A pet project of National Security Advisor Ajit Doval, the new commando group will have soldiers from Garuds, Marcos and Paras -- the special forces of the Air Force, Navy and Army respectively. Their skills must be on par with the US Navy Seals as they are required to manoeuvre in different terrains.

The force is being set up in the wake of regular infiltration attempts and ceasefire violations by Pakistani forces. "It's also a tactic of psychological warfare to put the enemy under stress," the official said.

"The team, which will be working under the direct orders of the Chief of Army Staff, will have two groups – planning which will have 96 members and assault which will consist of 124," he said, with the cabinet committee being notified.

Like every international special force, the assault group will have two sub-units, namely attack and support units, to ensure a smooth operation with flawless coordination.

Apart from having top fighting skills, the attack unit will be trained in field craft such as reading hi-tech maps and coordinating with air support. The support group will have local knowledge of the target area and can provide intelligence inputs to the assault unit.

"It's going to be a unified unit. And this group will have soldiers who have experience in handling counter-insurgency situations," the official said.

With a separate budget, the government temporarily plans to use any appropriate infrastructure to maintain this force, whose name is not yet known.

Link: India planning 'surgical strike' force for surprise attacks beyond enemy lines

This looks interesting, it seems like India is basically working on creating its own SEALs, which is a good idea. Hopefully some day we'll be able to put them to use for eliminating major targets in Pakistan and elsewhere.

There always was one such force. Only, that force is being openly acknowledged. And they are being allowed to re-start what they were always meant to do - albeit, more actively than earlier.

Hello Sir , Could you please Elaborate on your Nuanced Discussion with Oscar on PDF in that Nuclear Thread

What exactly were you hinting at

I am not good at Solving Mysteries

There always was one such force. Only, that force is being openly acknowledged. And they are being allowed to re-start what they were always meant to do - albeit, more actively than earlier.
Does this force have anything to do with the controversial TSD unit that was disbanded sometime in 2012? The inquiry did say they conducted at least 8 covert ops in foreign countries.

Reactions: RATHORE
NSG must have its own air wing, panel urges Centre

Special CorrespondentNew Delhi,December 12, 2018 21:45 IST
Updated:December 12, 2018 21:45 IST

TH13KRANSG

A Parliamentary panel has recommended that the Centre urgently take steps to ensure that the National Security Guard (NSG) — the country’s premier counter-terrorist and contingency force — is equipped with its own dedicated air wing.

The committee headed by Congress leader P. Chidambaram observed with anguish that the two Mi-17 helicopters procured by the NSG in 1988-99, were grounded and unavailable. While one of the helicopters met with an accident on February 22, 2002, and got damaged extensively; the second one was unserviceable due to want of spare parts.

The 215th Parliamentary Standing Committee Report on Home Affairs tabled in the Rajya Sabha on Wednesday recommended that the “Ministry of Home Affairs should make urgent and sincere efforts to commission a dedicated Air Wing of NSG and provide requisite types and number of air assets to strengthen the aviation capability of the force.”

The NSG’s delay in reaching Mumbai during the November 2008 terrorist attacks on the city had come under severe criticism, with the non-availability of dedicated aircraft hampering the force’s rapid reaction capabilities.

“The Committee observes that NSG has yet not tested its power to commandeer any aircraft in real-time circumstances and feels that, unless this power is used, the force would remain unaware of the response time and logistical challenges that it may face in operational situations,” the panel noted.

The NSG was raised in 1986 following the assassination of former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi and Operation Blue Star. The force, which is trained to operate as an elite urban anti-terrorist and anti-hijack force, doesn’t have a cadre of its own or direct recruitment and is instead dependent on personnel sent on deputation from the army and the central armed police forces (CAPF).

NSG must have its own air wing, panel urges Centre

Cannot agree more. Rapid deployment is the key. If we cannot deploy NSG rapidly in a crisis situation, there is no point in having the force. Considering the situation of our road infrastructure,even to move inside the city, Helicopters are the best choice.

Hello Sir , Could you please Elaborate on your Nuanced Discussion with Oscar on PDF in that Nuclear Thread

What exactly were you hinting at

I am not good at Solving Mysteries

Kaunsa thread bhai. Link do. Have dramatically reduced going there after its turned into a jihadi support forum.

This is all incorrect presentation of what occurred. The MARCOS were already on site & were preparing to go in. A PARA (SF) officer who happened to be in the hotel at the time of attack, did a quick survey (excellent presence of mind) and escaped, in the process, surviving to provide good intelligence to give a generalised picture. The MARCOS were asked to stand down.

The Government took time to decide whether to send the NSG or not. IL-76s remain on standby at Chandigarh airbase as also An-32s and then Avro HS 748. I won't even mention the ARC IL-76s at the New Delhi Airport which everyone and their dog sees everyday standing.

All covering their rears. Adequate assets were and are available.
Even civilian aircraft can be taken on by govt in such crisis situations and at that we had lots of aircraft available with crew at Delhi airport. Most flights which terminate at night in Delhi have pilots with adequate rest and flying hours left to undertake a two hr flight. And they don't undertake commercial flights after the last landing of the day. So it would not have caused any commercial loss to the airlines also.

This is an incorrect presentation of what occurred. The MARCOS were already on site & were preparing to go in. A PARA (SF) officer who happened to be in the hotel at the time of attack, did a quick survey (excellent presence of mind) and escaped, in the process, surviving to provide good intelligence to give a generalized picture (not much improvement took place even with NSG being inducted). The MARCOS were asked to stand down.

The Government took time to decide whether to send the NSG or not. IL-76s remain on standby at Chandigarh airbase as also An-32s and then Avro HS 748. I won't even mention the ARC IL-76s at the New Delhi Airport which everyone and their dog sees everyday standing.

All covering their rears. Adequate assets were and are available.

When Nasheed was overthrown in Maldives, the Il-76s were prepped immediately just on news from main channels and crews designated. Every unit of Indian Armed Forces acts on such principles. The Crews were put on standby, told to be in near vicinity of AFB and available on phone, and the PARA Brigade started putting it's teams into a ready mode. This, without even an official directive coming from GoI to prepare for a contingency. The synergistic planning was evident from the fact that the movement of aircrafts through Delhi (to pick up essential equipment as and if required; aircrafts and crews were designated, while rest would proceed directly to Agra) and on to Agra to pick up Para elements, were already worked out and ready even before the first official directives started coming in.
Never heard of this before. How did that para SF officers intel help?