Indian semiconductor ecosystem: News, Updates & Discussions.

There is one western analyst who said India should only focus on testing semi conductor products instead of trying to manufacture them.
Some local & foreign based desi dung heads are constantly pushing this narrative that India should focus only on producing more low level jobs like stitching undies & vests to increase employment.
Depends upon the skills that Indian workforce Present.
If we have skills for high tech manufacturing job, then we should go for it.
If not then, Indian workforce have to do these low level jobs.

Its not just skills also investment & environment that needs to change. how come very same Indian educated are hired by foreign companies but are not able to replicate the same inside the country? once an eco system established and nurtured it will gain pace over a period of time.
fairchild, intel, TI ...etc dint grown in a day or two it took them nearly 30-40 years of constant support from govt.

• Agree
Reactions: RASALGHUL
Incredibly short-sighted commentary by RRR, quite amusing to see the line of thought he has chosen to cling to, knowing fully well that his statements contradict universally followed policies and basic common sense.

What he wants the GoI to do, is akin to distributing freebies and money, instead of focusing on capacity-and-capability building. While we are pretty good in the chip-design and software part of things, it is critical that we get our chip manufacturing state in order soon. The article rightly points to the massive subsidies even the pinnacle of chip tech - the US, is providing, to stay ahead of its peers. Our plan is a smaller, but absolutely essential, start.

RRR thinks services are our strength, so we should double down on them, and abandon propping up our manufacturing sector? Its utter horsesh!t, and these vague arguments of his against the PLI and India's overall semiconductor push, is a continuation of the constant stream of banal baloney that has been escaping his black hole lately...... The article very rightly calls him out on his highly dubious views - we need to ensure that within this decade at least, we are firmly on track to become a major player in the ongoing global "chip wars".

As for RRR, maybe staying around Rahul Gandhi too much has reduced his IQ to below the room temperature of Ladakh....

Your views @Nilgiri, @randomradio, @_Anonymous_, @Gautam ?
Political ambitions clouds common sense.

Reactions: Bali78 and SammyBoi
US doesn’t have enough skilled manpower for latest fabs. TSMC’s Taiwanese employees are training US folks for the Arizona fab. Same thing can be done for India.

Can we provide 50billions USD in tax exemptions and other incentives to TSMC and other Fabs?
I don't think so.
TSMC is not getting 50B$ tax exemption. The whole chips act is 52B $. Rather TSMC is investing 40B $ in both fabs. As far tax exemption is concerned, Indian government is already lining up billions and getting TSMC to India is worth every penny!!

TSMC is not getting 50B$ tax exemption. The whole chips act is 52B $. Rather TSMC is investing 40B $ in both fabs. As far tax exemption is concerned, Indian government is already lining up billions and getting TSMC to India is worth every penny!!

Recently in a show hosted by S Jha , he claimed that tech for 15 nm was denied to India as per some sort of an unofficial ban by the west or let's just say the US . Subsequently he revised his statement to a 25 nm ban .

If we go down this path including R&D & mfg of the lithograph machines used to fabricate those chips in a fab , we'd have to have a project like the Tejas in mission mode & I suspect an equally long gestation time .

I don't see the west repeating the same mistake they made with China with us . If anything the tech denial regime would be more severe & stringently implemented .

Besides we've just taken baby steps towards tackling the problem. I just hope & pray , GoI stays the course . For that as I wrote earlier key technologies ought to be declared mission mode , brought under the purview of the PM , funded & monitored regularly in adequate measure.

Reactions: Abheer and SammyBoi
Recently in a show hosted by S Jha , he claimed that tech for 15 nm was denied to India as per some sort of an unofficial ban by the west or let's just say the US . Subsequently he revised his statement to a 25 nm ban .

If we go down this path including R&D & mfg of the lithograph machines used to fabricate those chips in a fab , we'd have to have a project like the Tejas in mission mode & I suspect an equally long gestation time .

I don't see the west repeating the same mistake they made with China with us . If anything the tech denial regime would be more severe & stringently implemented .

Besides we've just taken baby steps towards tackling the problem. I just hope & pray , GoI stays the course . For that as I wrote earlier key technologies ought to be declared mission mode , brought under the purview of the PM , funded & monitored regularly in adequate measure.
I seriously doubt that claim. I’m not aware of any company in India trying to establish 14/22-28 nm fab. That would have been a big news.

Regarding strategic investment in fabs, I agree with you. Earlier my opinion was not to invest in fabs consudering the size of investment. However, after seeing the current restrictions imposed by US, India must invest in this area ASAP. The sanctions will come. It’s not a question of “whether”, but “when”.

I seriously doubt that claim. I’m not aware of any company in India trying to establish 14/22-28 nm fab. That would have been a big news.

Well. In India you still have legacy nodes being planned for manufacturing . Who'd get into 14/,22-28 nm fabs right away . To the government's credit they're not being foolishly ambitious too . They're going about it in a step by step manner , playing it by the ear but tech restrictions would be in place just as a precaution.

This is a wonderful group interview of Ashwini Vaishnaw in Davos . Very informative not just about our initiatives but the way the world is reacting to current events & it's impact on the SMC industry.

Regarding strategic investment in fabs, I agree with you. Earlier my opinion was not to invest in fabs consudering the size of investment. However, after seeing the current restrictions imposed by US, India must invest in this area ASAP. The sanctions will come. It’s not a question of “whether”, but “when”.

Yup. We've no choice in the matter . With China gone , India's next on the radar. Already the media & academia there have created such a negative image of India especially since 2014 . How long do you think before it seeps down to the lowest common denominator & becomes part of the National discourse.

If anything , Ukraine has proven to the world that the west is greatly capable of demonising anybody & has the capacity to punish it . Old habits die hard .

Reactions: Bali78
Yup. We've no choice in the matter . With China gone , India's next on the radar. Already the media & academia there have created such a negative image of India especially since 2014 . How long do you think before it seeps down to the lowest common denominator & becomes part of the National discourse.

If anything , Ukraine has proven to the world that the west is greatly capable of demonising anybody & has the capacity to punish it . Old habits die hard .
Couple of weeks back I was having dinner with my Iranian and Chinese friends and the same topic came up.
China is still not gone and will not be gone. It might remain down for a while, but it will remain an economic super power for very long time. Eventually (post 2040) there will be 3 super powers I.e. US, India and China. Question is whether US wants to antagonize India ? Then it will be China + India vs US. That will be suicidal from US point of view. Please note US is able to retain it’s edge in innovation due to Asian immigrants. If that tap is closed, US economy would collapse.
Any kind of sanctions whether it’s $ or semiconductors can pull back a country for few years, but it can’t stop a country of 1.4 B progressing forward. This time India will ask the question to US, “ Are you with us or against us” 😊.

Reactions: _Anonymous_
Couple of weeks back I was having dinner with my Iranian and Chinese friends and the same topic came up.

China is still not gone and will not be gone. It might remain down for a while, but it will remain an economic super power for very long time.

I think it's commonly understood in both India & China that we've more in common with each other than we have differences especially when it comes to the west . The only jarring note is the CCP . It's in the very nature of the CCP to seek absolute power , the sharing of which they consider a loss . That's how paranoid they are . There used to be talk about how if the Kuomintang was still in power the Nationalists would have followed a different paradigm in their relationship with India. But there's no evidence to suggest the same . On the contrary it was always the stated aim of the Nationalist Kuomintang to annex Xinjiang & Tibet for they regarded these as legitimately part of the Chinese state . The CCP merely followed their lead in it . It's interesting to note that while both the Nationalist Kuomintang & the Communist CCP saw the Manchu / Qing as outsiders as do most in China , they've no qualms whatsoever from exercising their writ on the boundaries of that same empire even if it were set up by foreigners so to speak . Think of it as our relationship with the Mughals except that we were educated by design to believe the Mughals were our own thanks to you know who .

Frankly all those western notions of democratising China weren't all that far fetched , the calculation being that with enrichment comes prosperity & that would see the CCP loosen it's grip on power .

Where they underestimated the CCP was in it's resolve to hold on to it . From the CCP's PoV there were a few seminal events in the 80's & 90's which changed their world view & solidified their notion to keep a vice like grip on power at all costs .

The first one was the Tiananmen Square . The second was the way the USSR was dissolved overnight . The third was the reaction to Communism in the rest of the eastern bloc & the treatment meted out to the former leaders of the Communist bloc which in China would be 10 times worse i e shot at & buried in an unmarked grave. Then there was the first Gulf war & the spectacular firepower unleashed by the allies which drove home the fact that China was following archaic military practices using equally archaic weapons & tactics. Finally it was the Taiwan crisis of 1994 IIRC & Clinton rushing in a few Air Craft carrier flotillas to aid Taiwan & warn off China.

Eventually (post 2040) there will be 3 super powers I.e. US, India and China. Question is whether US wants to antagonize India ? Then it will be China + India vs US. That will be suicidal from US point of view. Please note US is able to retain it’s edge in innovation due to Asian immigrants. If that tap is closed, US economy would collapse. Any kind of sanctions whether it’s $ or semiconductors can pull back a country for few years, but it can’t stop a country of 1.4 B progressing forward. This time India will ask the question to US, “ Are you with us or against us” 😊.

I think it's too late to see India China & the US compete with each other in the 2040's & see some sort of blocs being formed with India being courted by both sides. The die was cast when Xi assumed power in 2012 & if there were any doubts his re election in 2022 for perpetuity should confirm it . We are heading for a cataclysm towards the end of this decade if not the beginning of the next decade which would completely upturn & re shape the world order for the rest of this century & beyond.

Ideally the Chinese should've kept silent on their intentions till 2040 & the US would've burnt itself out considerably in their own hubris of being the sole hyper power by then . Achieving all their goals would've been a cakewalk . Unfortunately for them & fortunately for the rest of the world , they forgot what their very own leader Deng had to say - Hide your strength & bide your time . They activated their strategies 2-3 decades before they should have . Hopefully India comes out of this relatively intact to press it's great power claims in the future world order . I don't think we can avoid conflict at this stage. I also hope China before going down does permanent damage to the US . As far as the EU goes , Russia & the US are grinding them good . With the US out of the equation next decade ( hopefully ) a falling economy & the glue ( US) holding their security arrangement together would've gone , undermining their economic arrangements & thereby igniting old tribal antagonisms across the board.

Like the ancient Chinese curse goes - We're living in interesting times.

Last edited:
There is no tech ban on India, Americans pass the law and then beg the Dutch to stop selling the ASML lithography machines, it is not done in darkness or conspiracy. so lets stop spreading these presstitutes propaganda.

Vedanta is opening a 28nm fab in Gujarat:

There is no tech ban on India, Americans pass the law and then beg the Dutch to stop selling the ASML lithography machines, it is not done in darkness or conspiracy. so lets stop spreading these presstitutes propaganda.

Vedanta is opening a 28nm fab in Gujarat:

There is no explicit ban, but co-operation & collaboration with companies/countries will not take off. There will be an invisible barrier created for any such movement to seek help from existing companies. Things will only become explicit & urgent once we reach the water mark that might threaten their market.

Will they sell equipment ? yes outdated ones. Given that FAB needs a lot of investment & long term approach, they can still sell you equipment and at the same time flood the market with their latest products. Unless the FABs get consistent orders from local industry it will just fade out.

When chinese started their "make in china" in 2014 policy for semi conductors not many in west took it seriously. Its only when they started nearly getting to that stage where they effectively manufacture on their own west took them seriously. Chinese now not only can manufacture chips but create an eco system which effectively threatens to take over market share. Its just we are not as capable as china they dont bother us.

• Haha
Reactions: RASALGHUL
New 75,000 crore investment in Semiconductor sector of Gujarat →By US-Based Micron Tech →3 lakh sq meters of land identified between Ahmedabad & Sanand →To manufacture storage devices along with ATMP →The team visited Gujarat 6 months ago Official announcement soon

• Love
Reactions: Bali78 and SammyBoi