Indian Missiles and Munitions Discussion

DRDO-developed Enhanced Range Pinaka rockets' user trials conducted at Balasore & Pokhran in past few weeks.
Comparing between the two videos , the launch angle is different for different ranges.
I guess enhanced range is the 45km version. Pinaka 2 75km and extended range is 90 km. guided pinaka 80 km.

From IAF presentation ,

Hammer, Mistral, Spike, and Spice at advanced stages of negotiation for local production apart from available indigenous options.

Screenshot (1).png

yesterday there was news BDL will locally manufacture Mistral, hopefully Spice & Hammer are done soon.

Reactions: Aditya b7777

DRDO’s conventional ballistic missile design ready, awaits signal for development​

With Chinese land-based conventional ballistic missile arsenal rapidly expanding, the Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) has finalized the design for a 1,500-kilometer range conventionally armed ballistic missile with an anti-ship variant.

While the DRDO is awaiting a green signal from the Narendra Modi government to move to the development stage, the still unnamed conventionally armed missile will deter any ship-based threat in the Indian Ocean, Bay of Bengal, and Arabian Sea. It will also counter any land-based threat from across the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in Xinjiang, Tibet, and Yunnan provinces.

While India has an arsenal of nuclear cruise and ballistic missiles up to 5000 km range from land and up to 3500 km range from sea-based deterrent, it does not have any conventional ballistic missile to tackle the adversary on land and on high seas. The missile will not only deter any carrier-based strike group from threatening India from the Indian Ocean but also provide land-based protection to its own aircraft carriers in the Bay of Bengal and the Arabian Sea through coastal deployment.

The PLA has a growing arsenal of conventional land-based missiles and launchers with a 4,000 km range Dong Feng 26, which is the first and only land-based missile capable of targeting an American air force base in the US territory of Guam in the Indo-Pacific. Called Guam killer by Chinese propaganda media, the DF-26 missile provides a deterrent to PLA against carrier-based strike forces and airborne invasion from a significant distance away from the east coast of China. The other Chinese conventional missile is DF 21 D with a range of 1550 km and with a maneuverable re-entry vehicle for greater accuracy. Dubbed as the world’s first anti-ship ballistic missile, the DF-21 D is referred to by Chinese propaganda media as a carrier killer to threaten US Navy aircraft carriers conducting freedom of navigation operations in the South China Sea.

With Chinese carrier-based strike forces expected to enter the Indian Ocean area by 2025 to match President Xi Jinping’s ambition to become global superpower, India needs a conventional intermediate-range ballistic missile to target any sea-based threat to the country 's over 7,000-kilometer coastline apart from island territories. The missile will add punch to India’s submarine based conventional ballistic missile like BA-02 with a range of over 700 km.

This was my gripe too, besides brahmos we do lack conventional weapon of our own making despite a very strong ballistic missile program. There should be some selected desi cruise & quasi ballistic missile programs with range varying between 300-2000km , all should be multi platform like air land & submarine launched. I hope multiple projects start before 2030, some of the money we give to a lot of countries as loan could be diverted into funding these projects. Even one base project can create spinoff multi projects.

Reactions: Bali78 and marich01
From BDL annual report, proposed possible future deals

+ BDL wants to establish manufacturing facility for various OEMs and is in discussion with them for the same.
+ Under the same proposal, BDL with Thales wants to make Laser Beam Rider Missile, and has proposed to Army
BDL plans to get TOT for the missile, in a planned and phased manner for maximum Indigenous content.
That Thales missile could be Starstreak or LMM
+ BDL with Rafael wants to develop and make a Anti Torpedo Decoy System for Indian Navy.

Reactions: Aditya b7777
Some context?
Check QRsam thread, there is an article posted which says everything is wrong with this qrsam system, just fails short of mentioning the tyres of the 8x8 truck on which launchers are mounted do not work well so the system is rejected by army sort of logic without any actual proof. very amateur written hitjob. :LOL:

This is ejector launch. A2A wvr missiles are usually rail launched? I guess you could do this because of significant range of mk2 , like meteor? or is it the dual pulse motor thing?

ps: Any word on the NGCCM that was supposedly ongoing? a desi python/R73 alternative in the pipeline? I guess the BVR project took priority, SFDR tech demo done so about 2 years before mk3 comes to trials stage. Surely a CCM project could take shape in between?
I don't mind BDL making Asraam here, but a desi product is preferable to me.

Last edited: