Indian Defense Industry General News and Updates

The Chinese do have better skills in this area or more focused or get the results , whatever you say.
They're ahead is because they had a near two decade start in economic reforms & their defense industry has had both the experience from extremely close collaboration with the former Soviet Union very early on , their single minded focus on developing better iterations, their later collaboration with western nations in this field which continued for nearly a decade after the Tiananmen Square massacre when that co operation officially ceased & their booming economy to facilitate such ventures.

You could add their various espionage activities & their compulsive need to copy to the list but I won't delve much on it .

Show me one single sector or field where they enjoy a more than 10 yr lead over India as of the present.

They're ahead is because they had a near two decade start in economic reforms & their defense industry has had both the experience from extremely close collaboration with the former Soviet Union very early on , their single minded focus on developing better iterations, their later collaboration with western nations in this field which continued for nearly a decade after the Tiananmen Square massacre when that co operation officially ceased & their booming economy to facilitate such ventures.

You could add their various espionage activities & their compulsive need to copy to the list but I won't delve much on it .

Show me one single sector or field where they enjoy a more than 10 yr lead over India as of the present.
I compare India's capabilities development and that of China's by the economy size. Our current size was China in around say like 2006.

Given we will have a more organic growth (and not overdo because of obvious reasons) , if we are at like 90% capabilities then that's more or less good.

Less than that, we are lagging.

We need to keep in mind that China after 2008 grew at upto 14% at times. We will be lucky to keep half of that continuously till 2030.

Your points are valid but they are ahead. We have and continue to miss oppertunities.

I compare India's capabilities development and that of China's by the economy size. Our current size was China in around say like 2006.
Yes & I also wrote in addition to the economy the kind of close co operation , technological tie up & hand holding, they received from the former Soviet Union & then from the West was of a different order as compared to us.
Given we will have a more organic growth (and not overdo because of obvious reasons) , if we are at like 90% capabilities then that's more or less good.

Less than that, we are lagging.

We need to keep in mind that China after 2008 grew at upto 14% at times. We will be lucky to keep half of that continuously till 2030.

Your points are valid but they are ahead. We have and continue to miss oppertunities.
There are 2 points in the larger context that I was making.

1.) Show me one single sector or field where they enjoy a more than 10 yr lead over India as of the present.

2.) That tweet raised 2 points - the first was about whether India had the kind of espionage capacities as China. The other point was even if we got all the related technology thru espionage of the F-35, would we be in a position to actually reverse engineer it? That tweet clearly said no in a very derogatory manner.

Do you sincerely think we can't & more importantly do you share the view of that tweeter?

• Haha
Reactions: Innominate
Yes & I also wrote in addition to the economy the kind of close co operation , technological tie up & hand holding, they received from the former Soviet Union & then from the West was of a different order as compared to us.

There are 2 points in the larger context that I was making.

1.) Show me one single sector or field where they enjoy a more than 10 yr lead over India as of the present.

2.) That tweet raised 2 points - the first was about whether India had the kind of espionage capacities as China. The other point was even if we got all the related technology thru espionage of the F-35, would we be in a position to actually reverse engineer it? That tweet clearly said no in a very derogatory manner.

Do you sincerely think we can't & more importantly do you share the view of that tweeter?
We can definitely do it, but again we will not reach their efficiency as their inherent operational model is different from what we have.

My views are mixed, we need to build a lot of infrastructure base then testing base then machine tools, etc. Once this base is complete then we can even outdo them. But as of now, mixed views.

We can definitely do it, but again we will not reach their efficiency as their inherent operational model is different from what we have.
Inherent in your answer is the acceptance of China's abilities to do a better job of reverse engineering of the F-35 than us, if they got their hands on it . They've been reverse engineering Russian military ware since donkeys years, yet it's only now they've reached a certain threshold.

My views are mixed, we need to build a lot of infrastructure base then testing base then machine tools, etc. Once this base is complete then we can even outdo them. But as of now, mixed views.

• Haha
Reactions: Innominate
I went through this article, and there are issues.

But the author is wrong.

Author is pointing out at fighter jet problems of IAF and Submarine problem of IN.

Neither of the two have been banned from import.

The negative import list only has things like artillery, IFVs, etc I suppose. Not fighter jets and submarines.

The author and this article is misleading. Its a All India Dalali employment scheme product.

IMG_20220910_211020.jpg

Reactions: Aditya b7777

Defence companies to fly high as MoD okays emergency buys sans imports​

Is this the Glidefire SSM? I know the suggested spec here exceeds Glidefires 180km range but in pvt industry made projects missiles are rare.

One of the proposals under discussion is a new tactical surface-to-surface missile, which will be a first of its kind project to be developed by the private sector. Being proposed by Economic Explosives Ltd, the 250 plus km range missile would be exponentially cheaper than the Brahmos and is fully indigenous.

Also mention of 150km guided pinaka. Does anyone know if DRDO or any other working on 300mm MBRL system or not? 214mm pinaka adds moderate firepower which can be improved well. Those proposed PGM by JSR Dynamics looked promising even if subsonic tbh.

Reactions: Chain Smoker

Defence companies to fly high as MoD okays emergency buys sans imports​

Is this the Glidefire SSM? I know the suggested spec here exceeds Glidefires 180km range but in pvt industry made projects missiles are rare.

One of the proposals under discussion is a new tactical surface-to-surface missile, which will be a first of its kind project to be developed by the private sector. Being proposed by Economic Explosives Ltd, the 250 plus km range missile would be exponentially cheaper than the Brahmos and is fully indigenous.

Also mention of 150km guided pinaka. Does anyone know if DRDO or any other working on 300mm MBRL system or not? 214mm pinaka adds moderate firepower which can be improved well. Those proposed PGM by JSR Dynamics looked promising even if subsonic tbh.

When talking about MBRLs people tend to focus only on range. But we should look at the payload too.

A 122mm rocket can reach 40km now, but the explosive payload it carries is very small compared to a 214mm pinaka.

Similarly we can have a 100km range 214mm pinaka, but it's payload in comparison to a 300mm Smerch type system is very small.

And the moment you want to make a payload like that of Smerch , fly to say 150km with less than 40 meters accuracy you start talking about a SRBM. Something like Prahar. And you can obviously have a quad launcher with Prahar type missiles, but not for artillery role.

Only US can afford to fire a ballistic missile like artillery rockets. China can only make posters about a 400km MBRL. That's a Ballistic missile.