1562353732364.png

1562353757941.png

The logo in the first picture is this :
1562353910096.png

Here's the context :

As always, make of it what you will.

• Agree
Reactions: Gautam
I've avoided putting it out until now. But since mainstream media is reporting on it, I suppose its "official".

Swarms Of Indian Drones Being Designed To Take Out Targets Like Balakot

1562957469711.png
1562957501247.png

If I am to break down the infomation from the photos posted by the HAL test pilot, here's what I got :

The "CATS" here stands for Combat Air-Teaming Systems. Apparently its a ongoing program within HAL along with NewSpace which seeks to build/modify aircrafts and munitions in a way that they work as a team. Basically what the USAF would call sensor fusion along with the ability of sharing targeting/surveillance data in real time.

The "ALFA" is the name of a drone that NewSpace Research and Technologies is working with HAL named Air-Launched Flexible Asset-Swarm(ALFA-S)
1562957622488.png

The "NGCCM" means Next Generation Close Combat Missile. The missile look like a MBDA ASRAAM, which makes sense given the air force wants it as the standard CCM for the entire fleet.
1562958698601.png

The ALFA-S drones are carried in flight by an aerodynamic cowl to reduce drag in forward flight. This cowl is very similar to the one HAL Tejas uses albeit for much smaller payloads.
1562957897522.png

Also there seems to be a recce pod under the belly of the HAWK-i(marked by a red arrow). that is probably a RAFAEL Recce Lite as carried by the Tejas in the pic above.

Over all this seems very much an achievable task, everything we need is available. Only the ALFA-S drones need to be built. Flying the drones will be the easy part, prototypes were displayed during AeroIndia 2019. The AI software needed for the drones is the difficult part. We've traditionally always been strong in software domain, but its HAL so you never know.
1562959590362.png

Oh and here is him and his buddies flying prototypes in formation :

• Informative
Reactions: Proud_Indian
Continued from post #159 on page no 8 of this thread.........

It seems HAL has chosen the Hawk-i as the base aircraft for the CATS project. We know already that the Hawk-i is an improvement over the baseline BAE Hawk. Also, HAL and BAE want to arm the Hawk, so does the IAF.

For a little background these are all good reads :

https://www.livefistdefence.com/2017/02/exclusive-bae-hal-unveil-joint-advanced-hawk.html

https://www.livefistdefence.com/2017/09/iaf-wants-brimstone-asraam-on-its-hawk-trainers.html

https://www.livefistdefence.com/201...-set-to-fire-indian-anti-airfield-weapon.html

HAL launches Hawk-i aircraft upgraded with Indian-made equipment

All this and the fact that HAL license builds Hawk explains why the Hawk-i became HAL's choice for the CATS project.
1563099872636.png

Other than the modifications to the basic Hawk as is listed in the articles above, HAL is also working on Voice Activated Command System(VACS). It reads pilot's voice command, answers back a logical response & the displays activate the commanded function. HAL has apparently equipped the initial version of the VACS on the Hawk-i aircraft and handed it to the test pilots for validation and further development.

The final picture of the upgraded Hawk-i looks like this :
D-qzDa1UYAAzZ81.jpg large.jpg

The upgrade bucket list is comprehensive but very much realistic. For instance :

The Digital HUD for the forward cockpit is already integrated as a part of the Hawk-i upgrade.
The MFD for the rear cockpit is Samtel Avionics developed Panaromic Active Matrix LCD, originally intended for the Su 30MKI upgrade.
SAMTEL's PAMLCDs.jpg

The Laser Designation Pod could be the BEL developed LDP, first unveiled in Aero India 2013.
32-AeroIndia2013-BEL-031.JPG
33-AeroIndia2013-BEL-032.JPG

The tactical Recce pod is almost certainly the RAFAEL supplied RECCELITE tactical recce pod.
1563101949073.png

The SPJ pod is the IAI ELTA ELL-8222 Self Protection Jammer.
1563102180254.png

Almost all of the weapons displayed here are either in service or going to be in service(with the SANT coming up, don't know about the brimstone).

The only real engineering challenge is the AFLA-S swarming drones. More specifically the AI software that goes into the drones.

I like this new approach from HAL, planning well and promising within achievable limits. Not going for pie-in-the-sky kind to targets and failing to deliver later.

Status Update:

Medium Altitude Long Endurance (MALE) Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) ‘TAPAS BH’: TAPAS-BH, a multi-mission UAV is being developed with an endurance of 24 hours to carry out the intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR) roles for the three Armed Forces. It is being designed to operate at 30,000 ft Above Mean Sea Level (AMSL) altitude and is capable of carrying Electronic Warfare and Electro-Optic & Synthetic Aperture Radar (EO & SAR) payloads. It can carry a variety of other payloads weighing up to 350 kg. The flights with High Power Engine (HPE) commenced in February, 2018. During January, 2018 – March, 2019, 39 flight trials using airframe AF5 (with HPE) have been completed (total 50 flight trials completed since the maiden flight in November, 2016). Flight trials on airframe AF6 also commenced in January, 2019 and as on date, 9 flight trials have been conducted. Indigenous SATNAV INS system, indigenous payloads (GPA Mk-IV, MREO) and imported payloads (SATCOM, LREO, ELINT& SAR) has also been tested during these trials. The payload was able to localize radars successfully.

India-US ‘Tailoring’ Predator UAV For Multi-Service Buy

The Predator B's weapons, avionics and comms suites will all need to be specially configured to meet the needs of India's military.

By Theresa Hitchens on August 28, 2019 at 5:37 PM
76025095.jpg

MQ-9 Reaper drone flies from Creech AFB

WASHINGTON: The Pentagon and India’s Ministry of Defense are working together to “tailor” a standardized version of the Predator B Reaper attack drone for use by all three Indian armed services, with officials actively discussing how to finalize the long-planned sale.

Key to revising, and finalizing, export of the armed unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) is the ongoing effort by the Indian Army and Air Force to define their requirements, and the parallel work by India’s MoD to ensure that the sophisticated drone systems can work with current service platforms and systems, says Ben Schwartz of the Chamber of Commerce’s U.S.-India Business Council.

“The weapons systems, the avionics suite, the communications suite — they all need to be tailored to India’s needs, so it works with their other equipment,” he told me on Wednesday. “Then there is the issue of integration with their other platforms.”

AjayKumar.jpeg

File photo : Dr. Ajay Kumar, Defence Secretary of India.

Ellen Lord, head of Pentagon acquisition, confirmed to reporters at the Pentagon on Monday that the negotiations with India are ongoing. “We continue to work with India on that,” she said, adding that “Ajay Kumar was just over here about a month ago, and we continue to work through that.” Kumar at the time was the MoD’s secretary of Defence Production; he was promoted Aug. 21 to the post of Defence Secretary.

The Indian Embassy did not respond to a phone request. A spokesman for prime contractor General Atomics was unable to obtain an approved statement by publication time.

Lord oversees the activities of the Defense Trade and Technology Initiative (DTTI), a specialized organization formed back in 2012 to manage often complicated US defense exports to India.

The sale to India of the armed Predators was controversial when it was first mooted — with India asking for 22 Sea Guardian maritime variants for its Navy — way back in 2016. UAVs that can carry missiles fall under the Missile Technology Control Regime’s (MTCR) Category 1 classification, for which there is a presumption of denial of exports.

The 1987 MTCR is an agreement among 35 countries seeking to limit the spread of missiles and related technologies, especially those that can carry nuclear weapons. Specifically, MTCR Category 1 includes “complete rocket and unmanned aerial vehicle systems (including ballistic missiles, space launch vehicles, sounding rockets, cruise missiles, target drones, and reconnaissance drones), capable of delivering a payload of at least 500 kg to a range of at least 300 km, their major complete subsystems (such as rocket stages, engines, guidance sets, and re-entry vehicles), and related software and technology, as well as specially designed production facilities for these items.”

The MTCR guidelines state that exports of these items are “subject to an unconditional strong presumption of denial regardless of the purpose of the export and are licensed for export only on rare occasions.” Additionally, there is a ban on exporting production capabilities for all Category 1 items.

In order to facilitate the export (as well as other sales of sensitive US defense equipment), the Obama Administration designated India as a ‘Major Defense Partner’ — a totally new category for US-foreign relationships specific to India. The goal was to create a tighter defense partnership between India and the US to counter Chinese ambitions and to undercut Russia’s long hold on arms sales to Delhi.

India’s original plan to buy the Sea Guardian variant was part of a planned multi-year initiative to build up an arsenal of 5,000 UAVs between 2016 and 2026. India’s military already operates a number of Israeli drones, including the Harop attack drone and the Heron surveillance drone. The purchase of Predators would be its first of a US UAV system, experts said.

The Indian press, including reputable publications such as the Times of India, has widely reported that Delhi now hopes to buy a total of 30 Predator Bs,10 for each service, at a price tag of some $6 billion.

It remains unclear when the deal will be finalized, Schwartz said, noting wryly: “It’s India.”

Indian projects are notoriously slow and complicated, often accompanied by internal shenanigans within the Indian government over budgets, requirements, and timelines.

India-US ‘Tailoring’ Predator UAV For Multi-Service Buy

• Informative
Reactions: Ashwin
Rustom-II has apparently crashed while testing in Chitradurga. Why is that some twitter handles blowing this up, isn't the purpose of testing is to avoid it crashing while in actual operational deployment, better now than after induction.The crash happened 175 km from the Chitradurga Test facility.

Last edited:
MALE UAV loss a setback for New Delhi

The recent loss of a 'Rustom II' medium-altitude, long-endurance (MALE) unmanned air vehicle (UAV) during experimental flight trials is a setback for an ambitious programme of India’s Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO).

A developmental prototype of the formally named Tactical Advanced Platform for Aerial Surveillance Beyond Horizon-201 (TAPAS-BH-201, or TAPAS 201), crashed soon after it took off from the DRDO’s Aeronautical Testing Range located at Chitradurga, approximately 135nm (250km) northwest of Bengaluru.

According to the DRDO, a new configuration of TAPAS 201 was being flight tested when the crash took place. Flight data is being analysed to ascertain the causes of the loss.

GetAsset.aspx

New Delhi's Rustom II represents great ambitions

Images circulated in local media of the crash site showed a badly damaged UAV with ‘TAPAS-04-19’ markings.

India's development of a MALE type to meet a tri-service requirement is an ambitious undertaking, considering that the DRDO’s earlier efforts at UAV development have been less than stellar.

TAPAS 201 features lofty specifications, such as an operating altitude of 30,000ft, a service ceiling 32,000ft and the ability to take off from runways as high as 11,000ft. The 2t-class MALE UAV will be able to carry a payload of 350kg (770lb) and undertake intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance missions for the Indian army, air force and navy.

As part of developmental trials, TAPAS 201 prototypes have demonstrated a maximum endurance of 1.25h, a range of 21nm and an altitude of 14,200ft. Testing of a higher powered engine commenced in February 2018, as user configuration flight trials started.

There are thought to be a total of six TAPAS 201 prototypes flying. The last of these, AF6, made its flight debut in January. A first research and development prototype made its maiden flight in November 2016.

Vijainder K Thakur (@vkthakur) Tweeted:
Is this the Ghatak UCAV? The Ghatak is @DRDO_India 's worst kept secret. Yes officially, the project is secret! So DRDO won't confirm or deny that this artwork, plugging DRDO's simulation capabilities displayed at #AeroIndia2019 represents the Ghatak Vijainder K Thakur on Twitter ( )

Assuming this is the Ghatak, it is indeed an impressive design representing advanced aerodynamics and signature reduction that would need to be backed up with equally advanced materials and manufacturing techniques. ( )

IDP Sentinel members can read more about the Ghatak project at Google Sites ( )

Aerodynamic analysis of the Ghatak flying wing UCAV technology demonstrator has been completed and a wind tunnel model is being built for design validation Google Sites ( )

Reactions: Shekhar Singh
Is this the Ghatak UCAV? The Ghatak is @DRDO_India 's worst kept secret. Yes officially, the project is secret! So DRDO won't confirm or deny that this artwork, plugging DRDO's simulation capabilities displayed at #AeroIndia2019 represents the Ghatak Vijainder K Thakur on Twitter ( )

Assuming this is the Ghatak, it is indeed an impressive design representing advanced aerodynamics and signature reduction that would need to be backed up with equally advanced materials and manufacturing techniques. ( )

IDP Sentinel members can read more about the Ghatak project at Google Sites ( )

Aerodynamic analysis of the Ghatak flying wing UCAV technology demonstrator has been completed and a wind tunnel model is being built for design validation Google Sites ( )
point being ? poster is from AI 2019. How is these things so secret ? We know they are developing scale model to check aero dynamics.

point being ? poster is from AI 2019. How is these things so secret ? We know they are developing scale model to check aero dynamics.
You've got an issue. Take it up with Vijainder Thakur for regurgitating outdated info.
Another PoV is not everyone had the good fortune to attend AeroIndia 2019 or keep track of the developments there.

I've avoided putting it out until now. But since mainstream media is reporting on it, I suppose its "official".

Swarms Of Indian Drones Being Designed To Take Out Targets Like Balakot

View attachment 8048View attachment 8049

If I am to break down the infomation from the photos posted by the HAL test pilot, here's what I got :

The "CATS" here stands for Combat Air-Teaming Systems. Apparently its a ongoing program within HAL along with NewSpace which seeks to build/modify aircrafts and munitions in a way that they work as a team. Basically what the USAF would call sensor fusion along with the ability of sharing targeting/surveillance data in real time.

The "ALFA" is the name of a drone that NewSpace Research and Technologies is working with HAL named Air-Launched Flexible Asset-Swarm(ALFA-S)
View attachment 8050
The "NGCCM" means Next Generation Close Combat Missile. The missile look like a MBDA ASRAAM, which makes sense given the air force wants it as the standard CCM for the entire fleet.
View attachment 8052
The ALFA-S drones are carried in flight by an aerodynamic cowl to reduce drag in forward flight. This cowl is very similar to the one HAL Tejas uses albeit for much smaller payloads.
View attachment 8051

Also there seems to be a recce pod under the belly of the HAWK-i(marked by a red arrow). that is probably a RAFAEL Recce Lite as carried by the Tejas in the pic above.

Over all this seems very much an achievable task, everything we need is available. Only the ALFA-S drones need to be built. Flying the drones will be the easy part, prototypes were displayed during AeroIndia 2019. The AI software needed for the drones is the difficult part. We've traditionally always been strong in software domain, but its HAL so you never know.
View attachment 8053

Oh and here is him and his buddies flying prototypes in formation :

Continued from post #159 on page no 8 of this thread.........

It seems HAL has chosen the Hawk-i as the base aircraft for the CATS project. We know already that the Hawk-i is an improvement over the baseline BAE Hawk. Also, HAL and BAE want to arm the Hawk, so does the IAF.

For a little background these are all good reads :

https://www.livefistdefence.com/2017/02/exclusive-bae-hal-unveil-joint-advanced-hawk.html

https://www.livefistdefence.com/2017/09/iaf-wants-brimstone-asraam-on-its-hawk-trainers.html

https://www.livefistdefence.com/201...-set-to-fire-indian-anti-airfield-weapon.html

HAL launches Hawk-i aircraft upgraded with Indian-made equipment

All this and the fact that HAL license builds Hawk explains why the Hawk-i became HAL's choice for the CATS project.
View attachment 8118

Other than the modifications to the basic Hawk as is listed in the articles above, HAL is also working on Voice Activated Command System(VACS). It reads pilot's voice command, answers back a logical response & the displays activate the commanded function. HAL has apparently equipped the initial version of the VACS on the Hawk-i aircraft and handed it to the test pilots for validation and further development.

The final picture of the upgraded Hawk-i looks like this :
View attachment 8119

The upgrade bucket list is comprehensive but very much realistic. For instance :

The Digital HUD for the forward cockpit is already integrated as a part of the Hawk-i upgrade.
The MFD for the rear cockpit is Samtel Avionics developed Panaromic Active Matrix LCD, originally intended for the Su 30MKI upgrade.
View attachment 8120

The Laser Designation Pod could be the BEL developed LDP, first unveiled in Aero India 2013.
View attachment 8121View attachment 8122

The tactical Recce pod is almost certainly the RAFAEL supplied RECCELITE tactical recce pod.
View attachment 8123

The SPJ pod is the IAI ELTA ELL-8222 Self Protection Jammer.
View attachment 8124

Almost all of the weapons displayed here are either in service or going to be in service(with the SANT coming up, don't know about the brimstone).

The only real engineering challenge is the AFLA-S swarming drones. More specifically the AI software that goes into the drones.

I like this new approach from HAL, planning well and promising within achievable limits. Not going for pie-in-the-sky kind to targets and failing to deliver later.
@vstol Jockey @Falcon @Ashwin @BlackOpsIndia @Milspec @_Anonymous_ @randomradio @Sathya @Parthu @Volcano @Bali78 @Guynextdoor et al.
Guys you should see this. I found a graphical render of the proposed HAL/NewSpace Unmanned Wingman. I've resisted posting it so far because I assumed it was some fanboy stuff. But it was put out by a former IAF and now HAL test pilot. This guy is no uninformed fanboy. Here it is :

View attachment 7753

Weapons :

It seems to be armed with at least 4 DRDO Smart Anti-Airfield Weapon(SAAW). 2 internal & 2 external(1 not visible from this angle).
View attachment 7760

The internal payload will probably use a scaled down version of DRDO's single rack ejection system for SAAW which was designed to carry 4 SAAW instead of 2.
View attachment 7756

This is one of the graphic poster released by HAL/NewSpace during AeroIndia 2019 :
View attachment 7757
There is a discrepancy on that poster. The payload capacity is set at 250 kg. Each SAAW weighs 125 kg, so how can a drone with 250 kg payload capacity carry 4 of them ? Unless the 250 kg payload capacity given here is for internal carriage only, in which case it make sense.

Also the focus on carrying SAAW would seem to indicate an emphasis on SEAD/DEAD Ops. Not suprising given the dangers associated with these missions. Commanders would want to take humans out of these missions as much as possible, an stealthy well-networked UCAV is the way to go.

Engine :

Of course the weakest link in any of our air-breathing flying machine projects is the engine. So let's examine this closely.

The wingman in the graphic render seems to be powered by(as was previously reported) 2 HAL PTAE-7 turbojet engine(3.73 KN thrust). The HAL designed and manufactured PTAE-7 has been in continuous production since December 2000 and has proven to be a very reliable engine. In all these years of service the engine has never failed to deliver.
View attachment 7755
Initially designed for the Lakshya PTA, the engine has been chosen to power the under development Abhyas HEAT which is going to replace to British made Banshee target drone.
View attachment 7762

This is what ADE had to say about the PTAE-7's test flights in a document dated November 2006. Keep in mind these specs are dated and there has been significant improvement in the engines performance since it entered service. For example the weight of the engine today is about 65 kg instead of 69 kg which would obviously increase engine TWR.
View attachment 7754
Also the engine back in 2006 had and endurance of 20 max duration flights of the Lakshya PTA(30+ minutes). That has been increased significantly owing largely to breakthroughs in material research. Case in point the Abhyas HEAT has a max flight duration of 45+ minutes.

Each engine has a service life of more than (20x45)=900 min= 15 hrs. Even without any improvements we'd have the following numbers :
Targeted maximum flight duration for the HAL wingman= 80 minutes= (80/60)= 1.33 hrs.
Number of flights before needing an engine replacement= (15/1.33)= 11.27 flights ~11 flights

This is of course assuming there has been no improvements to the endurance cycles of the engine and that the drone flies maximum duration flights every time its launched. None of these assumptions are true and with proper maintenance practices the average number of flights before engine replacements can be pushed up further.

Also since the production line for the engine has been running since the early 2000s and given the service record of the engine I wouldn't be surprised if the ground staff are experienced with the ins and outs of the engine design, maintenance, replacement and if possible repairs. Experience of this kind would normally take years of training and operational usage to acquire. I am also not concerned about spares and services, tooling etc. as these things are always a concern with brand new production lines.

Now for the negatives. The MTOW of the wingman is targeted at 1,300 kg using two engines, the Lakshya PTA is approx 705 kg MTOW. Calculating overall TWR we have :

For Lakshya PTA : TWR= (3.73x1000)Newtons/(705x9.81)Newtons= 0.506
For HAL Unmanned wingman : TWR=(2x3.73x1000)Newtons/(1300x9.81)Newtons= 0.58496 ~ 0.585

A thrust to weight ratio of 0.585 is not that good really especially given the environment in which its meant to work. Needless to say it won't be dodging any SAMs or AAMs or at the right altitude even MANPADS. Incidents like the recent shoot down of the US drone by the Iranians might become our future. But for what its worth, it will have comparable maneuverability to an BAE Hawk. Quite the achievement !

There is of course the efficiency problem. The PTAE-7 is a turbojet, at subsonic speeds it will always be less efficient than a comparable turbofan. Problem is there is no comparable turbofan with us. The one that comes close is the Manik turbofan, but the Manik engine along with its auxiliaries will weigh around 130 kg each, which is twice the weight of the PTAE-7. There would be gain in thrust too(3.73 KN to 4.25KN) but it is not significant enough to justify such an increase in weight. The IAF after all, care more about TWR than efficiency.
View attachment 7778

On the other hand we came across this from January last year as Saurav Jha reported(DRDO And NAL Collaborate On A New Small Turbojet For UCAV Applications | Delhi Defence Review) :

Small Gas Turbine Jet Engine (SGTJE) collaborative project by DRDO’s Research Centre Imarat (RCI), Hyderabad and the Propulsion Division of the National Aerospace Laboratories (NAL), Bengaluru.

"detailed design of a turbojet engine of 275 kgf class as per RCI specification and development drawings for components and prototype engine for ground tests considering flight mounting, fuel flow control, pyro starting, alternator and QT/AT testing requirements in participation of RCI. Efforts are to be made by RCI/NAL to realize components for functional testing based on preliminary design to verify the design analysis before closure of the present project. Based on the functional testing & design analysis, prototype engine and components drawings are to be finalized for ground testing."

The broad parameters for the SGTJE are given below:
View attachment 7779

With the requirements specified above in mind, NAL’s Propulsion Division will assist RCI in the following:

"Detailed design of turbojet engine is to be carried out meeting RCI specifications and qualification/acceptance requirements for airborne engine start for UCAV applications. Based on the literature survey & engine cycle analysis, engine configuration will be arrived at, using centrifugal/mixed flow compressor and axial turbine. After configuring the engine, the components like compressor, combustor, turbine, nozzle, bearings & seals, and rotor dynamic design and analysis will be carried out to meet the design and
qualification requirements. Based on the components structural & CFD
analysis, design optimization & redesign will be carried out."

Interesting times ahead.:)

Sensors :

There is a forward mounted radar which is most likely going to be a smaller lighter version of the UTTAM AESA radar. For some reason the render of the radar posted above reminded me of this :
View attachment 7761
Phase shifter array assembly of the Ragendra radar used in Akash SAM system.

For a drone this size it is disappointing to see no EO payload onboard this thing.

@nair @BlackOpsIndia could you move this post and the first two quoted posts to this thread, the third one is already there :

Ghatak and Rustom Indigenous UAV Programs

Bengaluru startup, HAL team-up for drone battle

Next-gen combat

By Akhil Kadidal, DHNS, Bengaluru, Oct 20 2019, 01:08am
1571554415089.png

Toiling in secret at the Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL), test pilots and engineers are working on a next-generation unmanned aerial vehicle project, which could see kamikaze drones destroy missile sites even as other aircraft-sized drones engage targets over the battlefield.

The technology might sound like the stuff of science fiction, except that it is just around the corner, according to Group Captain Harsh Vardan Thakur of HAL’s Flight Operations Unit. He was speaking about the project at a conference organised by the Synergia Foundation in Bengaluru on Saturday.

The programme, being run at HAL’s flight testing facilities in Bengaluru and in New Delhi, aspires to develop three distinct classes of drones, many of which are already in development in the West and China.

Among them is a glide bomb and an air-launched swarm drone system called the Alpha-S, a metre-long drone carrying 1.5 tonnes of explosives and designed to be air-launched from panniers carried aboard fighter aircraft.

When deployed, the drones fly in formation at speeds of 100 kmph, scouting for targets of opportunity, including missile sites. Once the target is identified, the swarm dives, kamikaze-style, to obliterate the target.

“The system is so compact that a Sukhoi Su-30 is capable of carrying 30 to 40 drones,” Thakur explained, adding that this is the future of warfare.

The programme, which is called the Combat Air Teaming System (CATS) began in 2017 and was the brainchild of the Bengaluru-based startup NewSpace Research and Technologies. Since then, the project has grown to include the involvement of medium and small industries and HAL.

Thakur said concern over China’s advances in drone technology had prompted the pilots, engineers and HAL to indulge in a crash-course to develop the new generations of drones.

“You have to understand that we are up against tremendous development in other countries, especially China, to the point that we cannot catch up. If you look at a recent Chinese military parade, you will see them wielding a massive amount of drones,” he said.

CATS’ most technically advanced creation, however, is a new robot wingman - an unmanned aircraft half the size of a regular fighter and armed with stealth features. Armed with AI, the drone is designed to fly nearly a 100 kilometers ahead of a conventional fighter to engage enemy threats.

Although CATs has been tested for the Indian Air Force in Pokhran, Thakur clarified that the technology still requires a lot of work from HAL, the National Aeronautics Laboratory and others, plus a few thousand crores to complete the programme.

“We can‘t afford to stop. What is frightening is that 50% of China’s combat forces in the next war will be autonomous,” said a project manager who did not wish to be named.

Bengaluru startup, HAL team-up for drone battle

Reactions: BlackOpsIndia