General News, Questions And Discussions - Indian Navy

I dont see the use case for BMD on Indian Navy ships - USN needs it to create a mobile BMD capability that can be positioned anywhere in the world.

Why would I need to place BMD on a ship to protect Bombay? A shore based facility will be much better.

I dont see the use case for BMD on Indian Navy ships - USN needs it to create a mobile BMD capability that can be positioned anywhere in the world.

Why would I need to place BMD on a ship to protect Bombay? A shore based facility will be much better.
I also feel there is lesser need for BMD on our capital warships but there is a looming threat of ASBM so may be the NGD will carry some sort of interceptors for the CBG protection.

I am more interested in the development and procurement of Longer Rage SAM and LR-LACMs.

Huge debris & possible secondary explosion both are a threat. Now its up to the respective Govt choice, we Rus etc who have vast land usually do not mind debris falling off within the land. Heck usually cities are not protected as well, only the important locations & assets like radar stations. Islands like Japan don't want to take that chance, even smaller hit would be taboo to them due to past experience.
Then it comes down to how much you can afford, can your economy afford just 2-3 BMD dedicated ships or more?

2023-03-23_12h19_16 (2).png

Orders have nothing to do with it . It has everything to do with the advance payment received. If they don't receive the advance , the order is counted against next year's target.
payment is given in stages for development contracts, and there are very few advances paid initially now in most cases if its not a development contract, for instance if its delivery contract after T0+certain months after the first delivery schedule depending on structure of payment 30-50% are paid. then another 30% then final delivery clears the rest. Otherwise if single lot delivery its cleared in one go, or 90%.
Now different labs probably have their own structure, RCI clears whole after final delivery, while the likes of BEL, the shipyards specifically etc receive payment in stages after certain delivery/progress completion. DRDL does slightly different depending on delivery, if one lot delivery.
So what happens even if contract is signed today, the order & payment will likely be counted in next years book, this also helps improve next years book forecast.

1680155511099.png

1680155784000.png

1680156019616.png

1680156146563.png

Reactions: Ashwin
That's almost 0.25 Billion per boat, what could it be of sensitive nature, that is the key question.
I don't think it refers to 9 vessels per say. 9 schemes can be 9 projects. Some funds for Varsha, some funds for SBC, some funds for development of SSN sub systems, maybe a spy ship/missile tracking ship....

• Agree
Reactions: RISING SUN