Gaming & Consumer Electronics

Really wanted to buy the new CoD: Modern Warfare game, don't have any money though.
CSGO is free and light on gpu. There are some games given for free you need to just keep watching.
Was/Is free until/thru 8th sept just check. This game needs a higher gpu.

Reactions: Gautam
Right, I forgot this thread existed. My old laptop(12 years old now) was giving me a lot of trouble. The battery went out a long time back. The mouse trackpad works but in very patchy manner. A few months back I had to travel due to a family emergency and I took my lappy with me. After I came back home I discovered the hinges of the laptop was hit during the travel. The hinges carries the flex cable for the display and thus the display wasn't working right anymore. This would be third time I am repairing the display of the laptop, figured I might as well get a new one & turn my old lappy to a home PC.

After some less than civil "debates" with the family, bought a new one. Still haven't started working on converting the old lappy to a home PC.
View attachment 17595
The new one is from the HP Pavilion series replacing my old HP Envy m6 series laptop. Its not a really gaming laptop, the specs aren't bad though.

CPU is an AMD Ryzen 5 with integrated graphics :
View attachment 17593
The base speed is 2.10 Ghz although the CPU can really over-clock itself when presented with a workload. I've seen the CPU run comfortably at over 3.50 GHz without the fan running. The fan will kickstart when the workload is extended especially during the noon time. Don't know if it can hit 4.0 GHz speeds though, never seen that happening.

GPU is the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050. Not the latest & greatest but can still do the job no problem. Dedicated GPU memory is 3GB and Shared GPU memory is 3GB, Combined 6GB memory.
View attachment 17592

Then of course there is the other GPU, yes there are 2 GPUs. The AMD Radeon VEGA 8 comes integrated with the Ryzen 5 CPU. Dedicated GPU memory is 2GB and Shared GPU memory is 3GB, Combined 5GB memory.
View attachment 17591
The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 10150 and the Radeon VEGA 8 together gives out a 11GB GPU memory. More than enough for most of my work. Infact, I've never seen the GTX 1050 reaching above 5% utilisation till date. The VEGA 8 takes precedence as it comes integrated with the CPU, its only when the VEGA 8 can't handle a load that the GTX 1050 comes into action.

The computer has 2 internal drives. One is a Non-Volatile Memory Express (NVMe) m.2 Solid State Drive(SSD) with 250GB on storage capacity. This is my system drive i.e. C: drive. It looks something like this :
View attachment 17597
The other internal drive is a mechanical SATA 3 HDD with 1TB storage capacity. That is my D: drive. There another external mechanical SATA 3 HDD made by Seagate with 2TB storage capacity.

I also bought a new 2.5 inch SATA 3 external SSD with 500GB capacity. Haven't used it yet.

The only problem is the memory. Its just 8GB :
View attachment 17594
There are 2 slots with 2 SK Hynix 4GB 2400MHz DDR4 SODIMM RAM cards in it. My hardware eats up 2GB of it leaving me with just 6GB to work with. Also notice in the pic above the CPU is hitting 3.60 GHz with 23% utilisation, I was just copying a file while listening to music while checking my internet connection. I think it can hit 4.0 GHz, but I have never seen it happen.

So in summary, I have 11GB graphics memory and 6GB of RAM.

Going to need to upgrade the RAM. At least I have to get more RAM in the system than graphics memory. But DDR4 RAM is still pretty expensive. So I am waiting for DDR5 RAM to appear in scale in the market, thus causing a drop of price of DDR4 RAM. Then I'll buy.

I don't really play games anymore. Really wanted to buy the new CoD: Modern Warfare game, don't have any money though. What are you guys playing these days ? @Parthu @Milspec @randomradio et al.

I wonder where @Fafnir is these days. She was working in a medical unit during the pandemic wasn't she ? Hope she is doing alright.

Racked up 65+ hours on Hitman 2, playing through each location multiple times to get all the mission stories and as many challenges as possible.

It's a pretty great game actually. A dozen different ways are presented to achieve your objectives, no two playthroughs will ever be the same. Also, Hitman 2 also provides a remastered version of 2016's Hitman campaign as well so its double the fun & double the stuff to do.

06_hitman.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Gautam
Polycab’s extensive range of electrical wires and cables are manufactured using the latest technology (Electron Beam/Buss Co-kneaders) with world-class materials under strict quality assurance procedures with total traceability of in-house or approved supplier materials throughout production processes. The Polycab R & D Center is the backbone for developing innovative compounds and materials to provide superior performance that assures compliance with all local and international standards validated by comprehensive testing at Polycab’s internal NABL accredited lab and external third-party labs.

I was a little surprised that in this topic the guys mentioned the processors of the FX line. These are still relatively good processors, unless you are a demanding user who uses a given processor in overclocking. Unfortunately, motherboards with an AM3 socket are already very outdated and do not allow you to use many modern features, but for a medium-budget computer, this solution is very good. As for my build, it's a two-processor "monster". I have two Xeon E5 v4 2699 (of course, overclocked), as well as two RTX 2080. I don't see any point in switching to RTX 30**, since the performance of my video cards is completely sufficient for me at the moment. Also, my system is distinguished by the fact that it has 256 GB of RAM installed. As for the permanent memory, so this is the usual bundle of HDD and ssd. All this power is necessary for me only for work, but sometimes I, when I have free time, I can play in Poe. I rarely play, but my latest achievement is the labryinth Poe. If you are interested in what I do, then I am a system analyst in the Ministry of Internal Affairs. Unfortunately, I had to buy this PC for my own money, but I do not regret it at all.

So whats up with 2080 ti owners , hows the feeling? Are you ppl planning to upgrade to 3070 :giggle:

Lol, nope. At least I have a card (and the 2080 ti is plenty powerful for the next 5-10 years anyway). Good luck getting any 30XX series cards in the coming year.

I'll jump into a new card once the 40XX drop.

Reactions: Shaktimaan
I just bought some new parts for my build - going AMD this time.

ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero Mobo.
9681_08_asus-rog-crosshair-viii-dark-hero-motherboard-review_full.jpg

Ryzen 5950x processor.
2020-11-05-product-3.jpg

Arctic 280 AIO CPU cooler.
9e5d4831c977e759691840d7e05e71f9_XL.jpg

2 Firecuba 2tb M.2-2800 SSDs.
edfDmjRPD8tzxfKxMtxawQ-1200-80.jpg

As normal I'll post pics of the parts and my build once everything ships.

I've been playing MHW and Rainbow 6 Siege recently. If anyone else plays and wants in let me know.

Reactions: randomradio

Ryzen 5950x processor.
2020-11-05-product-3.jpg

I've been playing MHW and Rainbow 6 Siege recently. If anyone else plays and wants in let me know.

How much did all this cost ya?

Ryzen 5950x processor.
2020-11-05-product-3.jpg

Great Mobo. I had x99 God like , cost me a fortune but lasted for a long time.
AM5 will be out end of this year or next year. Apparently it will be a LGA so no more backward compatibility.

seagate drive ?

My son bought an xbox series x for himself, with his own money.
I am the one gaming on it for an hour or two daily.
Joys of being a Desi dad. You can Rob your adult children off their stuff, without remorse 😅😅

850 USD for the processor, 120 for the AIO cooler, 450 for the MoBo and 450 a piece for the two Firecudas.

2300 USD total (give or take tax and shipping costs).

Shit like this is why I moved to consoles. Granted the visual quality is never at par with the PCs but I got tired of dropping 2-3 grand on a pc every other year and then having to buy other stuff like better monitors every 3 years.