Gaming & Consumer Electronics

My new baby:love:!

20200322_103418.jpg

Specs.
Capture.PNG

59C Max temp under load on The Witcher 3. Ultra graphic across the board.

20200302103922_1.jpg

20200310093532_1.jpg

Same on MHW. Look how stupid my character looks:ROFLMAO:.
20200217081730_1.jpg

20200217081154_1.jpg

20200217080919_1.jpg

Reactions: Parthu
Some more shots from my current play-through of DS3.

20200207223615_1.jpg

20200208092846_1.jpg

20200208093242_1.jpg

20200209092005_1.jpg

20200209092019_1.jpg

20200209144537_1.jpg

20200209150659_1.jpg

Never played DS2 though... is it any good?

Just spent $999.00 for a Valve Index VR Kit. Bought it this morning. Estimated shipping 8 weekso_O!!

Capture.PNG

Valve-Index.jpg

Half-life Alyx is the main reason I bought it, but my birthday is in a few days so I thought I'd spoil myself a bit while under lockdown.

HalfLifeAlyxScreens_5.png

valve-half-life-alyx-scaled.jpg

Worth it.

Last edited:
Right, I forgot this thread existed. My old laptop(12 years old now) was giving me a lot of trouble. The battery went out a long time back. The mouse trackpad works but in very patchy manner. A few months back I had to travel due to a family emergency and I took my lappy with me. After I came back home I discovered the hinges of the laptop was hit during the travel. The hinges carries the flex cable for the display and thus the display wasn't working right anymore. This would be third time I am repairing the display of the laptop, figured I might as well get a new one & turn my old lappy to a home PC.

After some "debates" with the family, bought a new one. Still haven't started working on converting the old lappy to a home PC.
photo_2020-09-05_11-14-51.jpg

The new one is from the HP Pavilion series replacing my old HP Envy m6 series laptop. Its not a really gaming laptop, the specs aren't bad though.

CPU is an AMD Ryzen 5 with integrated graphics :
Screenshot (49).png

The base speed is 2.10 Ghz although the CPU can really over-clock itself when presented with a workload. I've seen the CPU run comfortably at over 3.50 GHz without the fan running. The fan will kickstart when the workload is extended especially during the noon time. Don't know if it can hit 4.0 GHz speeds though, never seen that happening.

GPU is the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050. Not the latest & greatest but can still do the job no problem. Dedicated GPU memory is 3GB and Shared GPU memory is 3GB, Combined 6GB memory.
Screenshot (48).png

Then of course there is the other GPU, yes there are 2 GPUs. The AMD Radeon VEGA 8 comes integrated with the Ryzen 5 CPU. Dedicated GPU memory is 2GB and Shared GPU memory is 3GB, Combined 5GB memory.
Screenshot (47).png

The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 and the Radeon VEGA 8 together gives out a 11GB GPU memory. More than enough for most of my work. Infact, I've never seen the GTX 1050 reaching above 5% utilisation till date. The VEGA 8 takes precedence as it comes integrated with the CPU, its only when the VEGA 8 can't handle a load that the GTX 1050 comes into action.

The computer has 2 internal drives. One is a Non-Volatile Memory Express (NVMe) m.2 Solid State Drive(SSD) with 250GB on storage capacity. This is my system drive i.e. C: drive. It looks something like this :
1599287779403.png

The other internal drive is a mechanical SATA 3 HDD with 1TB storage capacity. That is my D: drive. There another external mechanical SATA 3 HDD made by Seagate with 2TB storage capacity.

I also bought a new 2.5 inch SATA 3 external SSD with 500GB capacity. Haven't used it yet.

The only problem is the memory. Its just 8GB :
Screenshot (50).png

There are 2 slots with 2 SK Hynix 4GB 2400MHz DDR4 SODIMM RAM cards in it. My hardware eats up 2GB of it leaving me with just 6GB to work with. Also notice in the pic above the CPU is hitting 3.60 GHz with 23% utilisation, I was just copying a file while listening to music while checking my internet connection. I think it can hit 4.0 GHz, but I have never seen it happen.

So in summary, I have 11GB graphics memory and 6GB of RAM.
1599288801459.png

Going to need to upgrade the RAM. At least I have to get more RAM in the system than graphics memory. But DDR4 RAM is still pretty expensive. So I am waiting for DDR5 RAM to appear in scale in the market, thus causing a drop of price of DDR4 RAM. Then I'll buy.

I don't really play games anymore. Really wanted to buy the new CoD: Modern Warfare game, don't have any money though. What are you guys playing these days ? @Parthu @Milspec @randomradio et al.

I wonder where @Fafnir is these days. She was working in a medical unit during the pandemic wasn't she ? Hope she is doing alright.

Right, I forgot this thread existed. My old laptop(12 years old now) was giving me a lot of trouble. The battery went out a long time back. The mouse trackpad works but in very patchy manner. A few months back I had to travel due to a family emergency and I took my lappy with me. After I came back home I discovered the hinges of the laptop was hit during the travel. The hinges carries the flex cable for the display and thus the display wasn't working right anymore. This would be third time I am repairing the display of the laptop, figured I might as well get a new one & turn my old lappy to a home PC.

After some less than civil "debates" with the family, bought a new one. Still haven't started working on converting the old lappy to a home PC.
View attachment 17595
The new one is from the HP Pavilion series replacing my old HP Envy m6 series laptop. Its not a really gaming laptop, the specs aren't bad though.

View attachment 17593
The base speed is 2.10 Ghz although the CPU can really over-clock itself when presented with a workload. I've seen the CPU run comfortably at over 3.50 GHz without the fan running. The fan will kickstart when the workload is extended especially during the noon time. Don't know if it can hit 4.0 GHz speeds though, never seen that happening.

GPU is the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050. Not the latest & greatest but can still do the job no problem. Dedicated GPU memory is 3GB and Shared GPU memory is 3GB, Combined 6GB memory.
View attachment 17592

Then of course there is the other GPU, yes there are 2 GPUs. The AMD Radeon VEGA 8 comes integrated with the Ryzen 5 CPU. Dedicated GPU memory is 2GB and Shared GPU memory is 3GB, Combined 5GB memory.
View attachment 17591
The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 10150 and the Radeon VEGA 8 together gives out a 11GB GPU memory. More than enough for most of my work. Infact, I've never seen the GTX 1050 reaching above 5% utilisation till date. The VEGA 8 takes precedence as it comes integrated with the CPU, its only when the VEGA 8 can't handle a load that the GTX 1050 comes into action.

The computer has 2 internal drives. One is a Non-Volatile Memory Express (NVMe) m.2 Solid State Drive(SSD) with 250GB on storage capacity. This is my system drive i.e. C: drive. It looks something like this :
View attachment 17597
The other internal drive is a mechanical SATA 3 HDD with 1TB storage capacity. That is my D: drive. There another external mechanical SATA 3 HDD made by Seagate with 2TB storage capacity.

I also bought a new 2.5 inch SATA 3 external SSD with 500GB capacity. Haven't used it yet.

View attachment 17594
There are 2 slots with 2 SK Hynix 4GB 2400MHz DDR4 SODIMM RAM cards in it. My hardware eats up 2GB of it leaving me with just 6GB to work with. Also notice in the pic above the CPU is hitting 3.60 GHz with 23% utilisation, I was just copying a file while listening to music while checking my internet connection. I think it can hit 4.0 GHz, but I have never seen it happen.

Going to need to upgrade the RAM. At least I have to get more RAM in the system than graphics memory. But DDR4 RAM is still pretty expensive. So I am waiting for DDR5 RAM to appear in scale in the market, thus causing a drop of price of DDR4 RAM. Then I'll buy.

I don't really play games anymore. Really wanted to buy the new CoD: Modern Warfare game, don't have any money though. What are you guys playing these days ? @Parthu @Milspec @randomradio et al.

I wonder where @Fafnir is these days. She was working in a medical unit during the pandemic wasn't she ? Hope she is doing alright.
laptop ram will not decrease in price. As less ppl use it more rare it becomes & gets more costly. Unlike desktops , no one custom builds a laptop once they stop using ddr4 ram, supply will also dwindle. Get a stick of 16gb ram its worth it. Even chrome uses a ton of ram, for average use case you will never hit cpu bottleneck but for every tab you open theres more RAM that gets consumed.

laptop ram will not decrease in price. As less ppl use it more rare it becomes & gets more costly. Unlike desktops , no one custom builds a laptop once they stop using ddr4 ram, supply will also dwindle. Get a stick of 16gb ram its worth it.
But it did decrease in case of DDR3 RAM. Bought 1 ADATA DDR3 1600MHz SODIMM RAM card for just Rs. 2000 a few months back for my old laptop, just before the display went kaput. Bought it offline, few stores had it. Nobody was buying it so they just wanted to get rid of it.

I figure the same might happen for DDR4 too. Right now online one 16 GB DDR4 2400MHz SODIMM RAM card is around Rs. 8000, two cards is Rs. 14000. Don't know about offline. If I get a 16GB card for Rs 5000 offline/online, I'll buy 2 of it instantly.

I will probably buy have to buy RAM next year with or without the discount. Maybe when the online/offline sales discounts are on during the festive season.
Even chrome uses a ton of ram, for average use case you will never hit cpu bottleneck but for every tab you open theres more RAM that gets consumed.
This is why I stopped using chrome. Switched to Firefox and then Microsoft Edge. The Edge is pretty good though, Chrome like experience without the massive RAM drain.

As for bottlenecking, the old lappy bottlenecked due to the mechanical HDD. At one time I thought of shifting the OS from the old HDD to the new SATA 3 SSD. Then the pandemic hit, and I couldn't buy a SATA 3 to USB 3.0 Type A cable anymore. So that plan is hanging in air right now. Still I might do it in the future.

The new one has no such problems. The NVMe m.2 SSD is so incredibly fast that the internal/external mechanical HDDs feel very slow compared to The SSD. CAD softwares often slow down or stop responding due to the lack of enough RAM. Otherwise all is good.

What kind of system do you run ? PC or Laptop ?

After some less than civil "debates" with the family, bought a new one. Still haven't started working on converting the old lappy to a home PC.
View attachment 17595

View attachment 17593

View attachment 17592

View attachment 17591
The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 10150 and the Radeon VEGA 8 together gives out a 11GB GPU memory. More than enough for most of my work. Infact, I've never seen the GTX 1050 reaching above 5% utilisation till date. The VEGA 8 takes precedence as it comes integrated with the CPU, its only when the VEGA 8 can't handle a load that the GTX 1050 comes into action.

View attachment 17597

View attachment 17594

Nice. How much did you drop on it?

Can't help you there. Haven't gamed since 2017 actually, as per some of my last played numbers on Steam. Intermittently played CS GO once in a while, but that's about it. I think I might pick it up again once PS5 comes in.

But my friend's recommended two games to me, you should check those out if you want to. Death Stranding and Detroit: Become Human.

Nice. How much did you drop on it?
Combining the expenses on the old and new laptop + some accessories I'd say above Rs 80K so far.
Can't help you there. Haven't gamed since 2017 actually, as per some of my last played numbers on Steam. Intermittently played CS GO once in a while, but that's about it. I think I might pick it up again once PS5 comes in.

But my friend's recommended two games to me, you should check those out if you want to. Death Stranding and Detroit: Become Human.
Thank You for the suggestion.

You are buying a console ? Doesn't that limit your options in what you can do beyond gaming ? That's not an issue for you ?

I used to play CS a long time back. Gave up soon after. I've played multiple games of the CoD, Battlefield, Medal of Honour, Assassins' Creed, Prince of Persia etc series. I have a liking for FPS type games. That never translated to Online gaming for some reason.

You are buying a console ? Doesn't that limit your options in what you can do beyond gaming ? That's not an issue for you ?

I think the only way I'm going to go back into gaming is with a 4k or 8k screen. A console is likely cheaper than a PC with the needed performance. Then there's the benefit of playing PS exclusives, which have only been getting better and better. Then there's PSVR. VR has a very healthy market within the PS community now, and I'm sure Sony is planning big things there.

Of course, this also implies the cost of the PS5 and the games are affordable. And there are many PC games I am yet to finish playing.

Is it worth buying Samsung 65 inch Smart TV for 95,000 INR?

On Twitter, some random guy posted that the shelf life of these TV's are just 2 to 3 years and after that lines will come in display and it is not worth to buy them at such high prices. I don't know how genuine is his opinion and just want to know whether this claim is true or not because it appears to be false for me.

I think the only way I'm going to go back into gaming is with a 4k or 8k screen. A console is likely cheaper than a PC with the needed performance. Then there's the benefit of playing PS exclusives, which have only been getting better and better. Then there's PSVR. VR has a very healthy market within the PS community now, and I'm sure Sony is planning big things there.

Of course, this also implies the cost of the PS5 and the games are affordable. And there are many PC games I am yet to finish playing.
I guess that makes sense. Your usage seems very different from mine. To be honest mate I never quite understood the appeal of screens beyond 4K. Upto 4K is fine. It gives you a great deal of details and colours that older screens won't give you. Beyond 4K I don't follow the logic, can our eyes even pick up so much details as the screen presents. I don't know.

On Twitter, some random guy posted that the shelf life of these TV's are just 2 to 3 years and after that lines will come in display and it is not worth to buy them at such high prices. I don't know how genuine is his opinion and just want to know whether this claim is true or not because it appears to be false for me.
The choice to buy or not is yours to make. But I don't agree that modern LED TVs have 2-3 years of shelf life, that's not true. Especially from reputed manufacturers like Samsung. Maybe somebody got a bad TV out of bad luck. But all TVs are certainly not like that.

Consumer electronics losses the "cutting edge" tag within a couple of years, but they still work just fine and will continue to sell beyond that time. As far as I know, lines in the display of LED screens is often caused by mechanical impact. This is especially the case with the ultra thin TVs where hitting the exterior case directly impacts the internal display board.

I bought an LG TV in 2011 and it's still functioning without problems. I suppose putting it up on a wall is the safest since no one's gonna walk/fall into it or nudge the screen when cleaning or something. I'm no expert on TVs.

Advertised shelf life is about 40,000 hours to 100,000 hours though. So a TV should last a decade easy.

My Benq LED monitor lasted only 4 years though.

I guess that makes sense. Your usage seems very different from mine. To be honest mate I never quite understood the appeal of screens beyond 4K. Upto 4K is fine. It gives you a great deal of details and colours that older screens won't give you. Beyond 4K I don't follow the logic, can our eyes even pick up so much details as the screen presents. I don't know.

Yeah. 4K is already more than enough.

Anyway, I need a very good PC as well, which is a priority, so I may end up with both options. Dunno what the future holds.

That is a terrible TV with awful contrast ratio and picture quality, Better look at Samsung Frame 2020 model, check out the reviews for TVs on Rtings.com. The upcoming Diwali sale will bring down price further for the Frame 2020 on Flipkart.

• Informative
Reactions: vvabhiram

View attachment 17595

View attachment 17593

View attachment 17592

View attachment 17591

View attachment 17597

View attachment 17594

Good luck changing over your laptop.
At this point in my life, I have zero PC games. The only PC I have in the house is used as a trading/investing PC by the wife. I rarely play any games, the ones I do are on PS4, right now, FiFA1 18, Titanfall II, CoD MWII re-released, COD WWII re-released. Upstairs I have my old PS3 hooked up to another TV in the loft and I will from time to time play CoD MW, MK vs DC univ on that.
Home Laptops are all light-duty Intel i5 type for browsing. I did need something for the garage, and i discovered Samsung DEX, and I am loving it, Works perfectly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gautam

View attachment 17595

View attachment 17593

View attachment 17592

View attachment 17591

View attachment 17597

View attachment 17594

I would suggest rainbow six siege.It is online tactical shooter video game and its cheap also. Similar to counter strike but much more fun.

But it did decrease in case of DDR3 RAM. Bought 1 ADATA DDR3 1600MHz SODIMM RAM card for just Rs. 2000 a few months back for my old laptop, just before the display went kaput. Bought it offline, few stores had it. Nobody was buying it so they just wanted to get rid of it.

I figure the same might happen for DDR4 too. Right now online one 16 GB DDR4 2400MHz SODIMM RAM card is around Rs. 8000, two cards is Rs. 14000. Don't know about offline. If I get a 16GB card for Rs 5000 offline/online, I'll buy 2 of it instantly.

I will probably buy have to buy RAM next year with or without the discount. Maybe when the online/offline sales discounts are on during the festive season.

This is why I stopped using chrome. Switched to Firefox and then Microsoft Edge. The Edge is pretty good though, Chrome like experience without the massive RAM drain.

As for bottlenecking, the old lappy bottlenecked due to the mechanical HDD. At one time I thought of shifting the OS from the old HDD to the new SATA 3 SSD. Then the pandemic hit, and I couldn't buy a SATA 3 to USB 3.0 Type A cable anymore. So that plan is hanging in air right now. Still I might do it in the future.

The new one has no such problems. The NVMe m.2 SSD is so incredibly fast that the internal/external mechanical HDDs feel very slow compared to The SSD. CAD softwares often slow down or stop responding due to the lack of enough RAM. Otherwise all is good.

What kind of system do you run ? PC or Laptop ?
I use both pc & laptop. PC is personal and company laptop.