Future Combat Vehicle Programs (FRCV and FICV)

Such air defence system in TATA whap might look good . Striker might be best example of variety of things that can be done with armored vehicle .

FmF7uyQXoAYKR7K.jpg

Such air defence system in TATA whap might look good . Striker might be best example of variety of things that can be done with armored vehicle .

View attachment 25933
I am not getting the pic now, but a prototype of Mahindra 4x4 platform with BDL licenced Starstreak missile was there.
I am not getting the pic now, but a prototype of Mahindra 4x4 platform with BDL licenced Starstreak missile was there.
Here it is.

What engine will these vehicles would use, 600HP one? I heard the Bharat Forge one will use 720hp, in that case why can't the t72 standard 780hp old engine be used? expensive/unsuitable?
There are work ongoing for 600Hp, uprated 1000hp and 1500hp , and we are still going ahead with the 1400hp MTU units for the upcoming arjun mark1 alpha units.

What engine will these vehicles would use, 600HP one? I heard the Bharat Forge one will use 720hp, in that case why can't the t72 standard 780hp old engine be used? expensive/unsuitable?
There are work ongoing for 600Hp, uprated 1000hp and 1500hp , and we are still going ahead with the 1400hp MTU units for the upcoming arjun mark1 alpha units.

The T-72's engine is ancient.

Doesn't make sense to replace Arjun's engine right away, need commonality with the first 124. The NGMBT should get the 1500HP engine first, although it will be tested on the Arjun.

Do the t72-t90 jugaad qualify as FRCV? :p 600 is a big number for the first phase. NGMBT & FRCV are different right?

FRCV is army's requirement . NGMBT is a project of DRDO to fulfill that requirement .

Not exactly.

NGMBT is meant to meet a different requirement, and DRDO is gonna offer it for FRCV as well.

It's kinda like the light tank project, where DRDO is making a regiment with L&T, but there will be a separate light tank project where DRDO can also participate in with its design.

Yeah, it's weird. IA seems to be de-risking future modernisation via DRDO's light tank and NGMBT. So even DRDO is now on a real deadline.

NGMBT is expected to enter its engineering phase this year or the next, for production before 2030, whereas FRCV is not expected anytime before 2035, 2040 is more likely. NGMBT is apparently in CDR. My guesstimate is the IA wants 500-700 NGMBTs (10 regiments) to plug the long gap between T-90/Arjun Mk1A and FRCV. It could be for just 200-300 tanks as well.

Attachments

• FRCV_(2).pdf
    317 KB · Views: 185
is the FRCV program going to be a tender process or is is strictly in-house development? Can private companies also pitch in their designs and compete or will this strictly be PSU driven development with private companies limited to manufacturing?

is the FRCV program going to be a tender process or is is strictly in-house development? Can private companies also pitch in their designs and compete or will this strictly be PSU driven development with private companies limited to manufacturing?

Indian bureaucratic language is difficult to understand . I think make 1 , make 2 , make 3 categories deal with development of product by various means and conditions . Army tender for procurement is separate . My assumption is based on Indian light tank development . The light tank development is under make 1 which means 90% funded by govt , but army ll buy only 59 of those . Rest of the requirement ll be filled through open competition .

Also DRDO is not a PSU . Its a research organization completely owned by govt .

Last edited:
Reactions: Ginvincible
Thanks very much, yeah saw tweets later. Lets hope Avadi also does not bid with their jugaad.

ps: I had seen that NGMBT pdf paper here in early pages somewhere, just was not sure if FRCV/ NGMBT would both get decent numbers AoN, and where does that lead to Arjun program.

Thanks very much, yeah saw tweets later. Lets hope Avadi also does not bid with their jugaad.

ps: I had seen that NGMBT pdf paper here in early pages somewhere, just was not sure if FRCV/ NGMBT would both get decent numbers AoN, and where does that lead to Arjun program.
2 more regiments in addition to the 118 on order should be a optimistic hope. But nothing beyond that.

Reactions: marich01

Indian companies, both public and private, they can do the R&D on their own or collaborate with each other or with a foreign partner. But IP will be owned by the govt.

• Informative
Reactions: Ginvincible