Future Combat Vehicle Programs (FRCV and FICV)

T

Tarun

Some Basic Requirement of FRCV Tender

DOWDbvaUMAAB8By.jpg:large

DOVApUeX4AAGM0d.jpg:large

DOWC5nxU8AAt2-V.jpg:large

DOWC3uDVQAAiI5j.jpg:large

DOVAoi_WsAEcxer.jpg:large

DOVAoSaXcAA4eIN.jpg:large

DOVAnczXkAAcq0K.jpg:large

Future Ready Combat Vehicles (FRCVs) Will Not Discard Arjun Mk-II Tank: Lt Gen AB Shivane
Posted on November 15, 2017

Tender for Future Ready Combat Vehicles (FRCVs) is not a global tender but will be procured under strategic partnership. The new tank will be indigenous tank, in which IPR and technology will be owned by India. The tank will be India to replace old fleet of T-72, which were inducted in 1972. Life of a tank is 32 years, which can further be extended by 4-5 years. Then we have to look for another tank to plug gap in our security. Arjun Mk-I is already with Indian Army and under stabilization. The indigenous content is increased. We will look at Arjun Mark-II as MBT Arjun Mk-I become fully indigenous and stabilized. FRCV is not discarding Arjun Mk-II. Arjun Mk-II is under trial and orders are placed when trials get completed. Integrated trials with missile firing capability are yet to be conducted. T-72 was inducted in 1979 and T -90 in 2001. We are upgrading the fleet as itsgetting older. Many factor are being consolidated to make that battle ready as on date either on western front or on northern front.

Source: Future Ready Combat Vehicles (FRCVs) Will Not Discard Arjun Mk-II Tank: Lt Gen AB Shivane

This specifications r released by Russian dalals in army to suit Russian tanks.

Even a cursory glance at the document in question shows what care and diligence has gone into specific rejection of attributes of the Arjun. Look at (a), (b) and (c); it is the document saying clearly, "Don't tell us about the Arjun. We don't want it."

A disgusting betrayal.

Reactions: Aditya
This specifications r released by Russian dalals in army to suit Russian tanks.

Developing nationwide infrastructure to support the Arjun (and tanks in it's weight class) is a humongous task. So far infrastructure to support the Arjun (MLC-70 standard bridges, suitable broad gauge rail etc.) have only be developed & deployed in the specific theatres where the paltry number of 124 Arjun Mk-1s are used. Rest of the infrastructure can only support tanks of the T-72/T-90 weight class, which we use in massive numbers (thousands).

If a large order of tanks in the weight category of Arjun has to be placed, that has to go hand in hand with development of infrastructure to support them. Otherwise they'll just sit around unused, unable to get to the location where the fighting is. In other words, we need to shift the Army's MBT weight average from the current ~50T to about 70T. That is a massive change, and a very expensive one - which I don't see happening anytime in foreseeable future.

Little wonder then, that Army has no choice but to stick with tanks of lower weight...and as ALL Western standard MBTs are much heavier (65-70T), and so is Arjun, this leaves us with nothing but Russian & Ukrainian options for deriving the hull from. Leave Ukraine out - they are 10 times as unreliable as the Russians. That gives us a very good chance of any international offer for FRCV in a competitive tender ending up in a single-vendor situation and being cancelled because of that. Only way for us to get Armata platform for our requirements is probably if we go Govt-to-Govt.

t-14-armarta-1-large_1443273336.jpg

Personally - I support whichever tank can fight our wars better. I'm not one to support Russian dalals, but I'm neither someone who wants Arjun JUST because it was designed & made in India. If it's unsuitable for the infrastructure we have, then buying it in large numbers would amount to nothing but having scores of showpieces.

The Arjun was conceived as a counter for a then-plausible reality of M1 Abrams entering service with Pak Army. But that has never happened (and seems WILL NEVER happen, given how US-Pak relationship turned out)....so I think it's pretty realistic if one imagines the future Indian tank fleet's bulk to be made of up ~50T Universal Platform designs, and relatively small numbers of ~70T heavy MBTs deployed for the Western theatres.

Credit @Tarun
FRCV – A Complete Details

1512881559095.png

Here is an article on India’s Future Ready Combat Vehicle program with detail informations. From here one can get an idea what actually India to get in near future.

Note:

1) Every info is taken from the Official Website of Indian Army

2) Images are just for representation

3) Image courtesy and credits to their rewpective owners

Information Source : Click Here

1512881594135.png

INTRODUCTION:
The Indian Army is planning to design and develop a new generation, state-of-the-art combat vehicle platform for populating its Armoured Fighting Vehicle fleet in the coming decade. This vehicle, which will be called the Future Ready Combat Vehicle (FRCV), will form the base platform for the Main Battle Tank which is planned to replace the existing T-72 tanks in the Armoured Corps. It is also planned to subsequently develop other need-based variants on this platform. The Indian Army is seeking development of futuristic combat vehicle for induction by 2025-27. The MoD , India , has decided to procure approximately 1770 Armoured Fighting Vehicles (in various kit combinations) in a Phased Manner, along with 10 Years Performance Based Logistics, Transfer of Technology Engineering Support Package, Personnel Training, Training Aggregates including Technical Training Simulators, Documentation and spares Package for replacing a part of its ageing Armoured Fighting Vehicle fleet as part of the Modernisation Plan.

1512881626780.png

SYSTEMS:
A ‘Future’ Combat Platform design must cater for ‘future’ battlefield environment and technological possibilities. To address the future battlefield scenario and the envisaged force profile in the coming years, the FRCV needs to be developed on a modular concept with a high degree of flexibility in a manner that, as a tank platform, it can address the varying requirements of different terrain configurations. At the same time it can provide the base on which a ‘Family of Vehicles’, catering to the operational needs of various arms of the Army, can be developed.
The following variants are planned to be developed on the FRCV platform:-
(a) Tracked Main Battle Tank – Primary variant.
1512881650767.png

(b) Tracked Light Tank.

1512881687703.png

(c) Wheeled Version.

1512881716866.png

(d) Bridge Layer Tank (BLT).

1512881743784.png

(e) Trawl Tank and Mine Ploughs.

1512881773798.png

(f) Armoured Recovery Vehicle (ARV).

1512881814862.png

(g) Self Propelled Artillery Gun/Howitzer.

1512881840114.png

Part 2 Credit @Tarun

(h) Air Defence Gun/Msl System.
1512881965502.png

(j) Artillery Observation Post Vehicle.

1512881986843.png

(k) Engineer Reconnaissance Vehicle.

1512882027521.png

(l) Armoured Ambulance.

1512882064412.png

CHARACTERISTICS:
1) Physical Characteristics:

(a) Basic Configuration-

(i) A Tracked Fighting Vehicle of Medium Weight Class (All up combat weight not to exceed 50Tons ± 15%).

(ii) All systems and assemblies including ammunition should be able to operate in an ambient temperature range of minus 30°C to plus 50°C, to include High Altitude Areas (HAA), after incorporating suitable modification kits.

(b) Dimensions-
The Physical Dimensions including its weight should be such that they do not impede its transportability by in-service Rail, Road (On Tank Transporters), Ship and Air, as also operational mobility within the theatre of operations.

(c) Crew-
The Crew Configuration should be 4/3 and should be able to perform their designated tasks in an Intense Operational Scenario efficiently and operate all on-board systems without hindrance.

2) Operational Characteristics:

1512882100181.png

(a)Main Gun-
Smooth Bore, 120mm/125mm.
(b) Secondary Armament-

(i) Coaxial Machine Gun:
The existing (7.62mm) or an improved Machine Gun in service. Minimum Range of 1000m.

(ii) Anti-Aircraft Machine Gun:
Minimum 12.7 mm capable of effectively engaging aerial targets up to Minimum 1500m and ground targets up to Minimum 2000m. It should be capable of being remotely operated (including cocking and firing) while closed down.

1512882122704.png

(c) Ammunition-
(i) KE (APFSDS).

1512882147246.png

(ii) CE (HEAT, HE).

(iii) Gun Tube Launched Advance Anti-Tank Guided Missile.

(d) Lethality-
(i) KE. At least 800 mm (650 mm in other case) 2000 m at 60°
1512882164378.png

Angle of Attack on a RHA target.

(ii) CE. At least 1200 mm (1000 mm in other case) 2000 m at 60° Angle of Attack on a RHA target.

(iii) Anti-Tank Guided Missile. At least 1200 (1000 mm in other case) mm at 5000 m.

(e) Rate of Fire Minimum-
6-8 Rounds Per Minute.
(f) Angle of Firing (Main Armament)-

Armament Front

(i) Min Depression. 5°in the complete

Horizontal Envelope.

(ii) Min Elevation. 15° in the complete

Horizontal Envelope.

(iii) Traverse Angle. 360°
(g) Ready to Fire Rounds-

Minimum 10 Rounds in Ready Round Stowage System for rapid loading of the Main Gun

(h) Minimum Gun

Life-Minimum 600 Effective Full Charge
(i) Fire Control System-

Full Solution Fire Control System to have:

(i) Accuracy to achieve the First Round Hit Probability (FRHP) of Minimum 90%.

(ii) Multiple Operating Modes (Hunter Killer)

(iii) Minimum Identification Ranges (Standard

Tank Target under standard weather conditions)

(aa) By Day- 5000m.

(ab) By Night- 3500m.

(iv) Capability to carry out Indirect Fire.
(j) Ballistic Computer Electronic and DigitalDigital

1512882186680.png

(k) Image digitizer with video switcherIndependent Automatic Target Tracking from Gunner and Commander’s Station with Hunter killer included

(3) Vision/ Viewing Devices:

(a) Day and Night Vision

Devices-
(i) Commander. 2-Axis independently stabilised, 3600 FOV Panoramic, integrated day-cum-night sight, laser range finder, having day colour camera. It should have an Optical Channel as back-up.

(ii) Gunner. 2-Axis independently stabilised, integrated day-night sight, Multichannel with sighting and thermal channels laser range finder and built-in- laser missile guidance channel,having day colour camera. It should have an optical channel as back-up. There should be an Auxiliary/ Standby sight.

(iii) Driver. Day and night sight (viewing range at least 500m, upgradable up to 1000m), with at least 1500FOV.

(iv) Systems Operator (If Part of Crew). 3600rotatable day sight, with at least 600FOV.

(b) Monitoring/ Viewing Devices-Devices-

1512882225127.png

Rugged-ised Video Viewing Device with current technology Display unit. It should facilitate data input and operating of systems integrated with the FCS by both Gunner and Commander. It should have the facility of merging and displaying inputs from all systems on-board, like BMS, BITE, etc.

Part 3 Credit @Tarun

(c) Field of View and Magnification-

Adjustable to carry out their designated tasks both during day and night, in all weather conditions, without any add-on device/ measures for assistance.

(d) Parallel Sight Minimum Identification Range-
(i) By Day- 2000m

(ii) At Twilight- 1000m

(4) Other Capabilities:
(a) Built-In Test Facility-

‘On-board Monitoring and Diagnostic System’ which will be receiving inputs from sensors of various systems fitted in the tank and provide real time information on digital display regarding status of serviceability of the system.

(b) Mil Std-
1512882311688.png

All Electrical and Electronic System/Sub-Systems/Assemblies shall comply with latest version of JSS: 55555 (or the latest standard/ protocol in vogue), as applicable at the time of issue of Request for Proposal. Other components shall be of Military-Grade Standards to ensure the ReliabilStd-and Ruggedisation of the components.

(c) Bore Sighting Equipment-

Provision to carry out Bore Sighting of the Main Gun with error not exceeding ±0.1 milli Radian (m Rad).

(d) Gun Control System-

1512882365822.png

All-Electric-Drive System in all planesSystem-stabilisation in both vertical and horizontal planes. There should be a manual operation feature as back up, for both traversing and elevating mechanisms.

(e) Ammunition Stowage Capacity-

(i) Main Gun – At least 40 rounds per tank (including Anti-Tank Guided Missiles).

(ii) Anti-Aircraft Machine Gun – At least 800 rounds.

(iii) Coax Machine Gun – At least 2000 rounds.
(5) Survivability:
(a) Protection-
At least 1200 mm (800 mm in other case) RHA including ERA panel/ add on

1512882387304.png

armour in frontal 60° arc. The tank belly must be able to survive Improvised Explosive Device and mine blasts of up to 25 kgs (15 kgs in other case) of TNT.

1512882410161.png

(b) Active Protection System-

1512882439513.png

Active Protection Suite to contribute to the 360° all-round protection (including against top-attack). It should have both soft and hard kill capability, to destroy multiple CE and KE threats.

(c) Smoke Anti-Thermal Anti-Laser Smoke Discharger System capable of creating a smoke screen at distances ranging up to 60m from the place of firing, within 5-6 seconds of being fired.

1512882464037.png

(d) Mine Counter Measures System-

System should be modular and included in the all up combat weight and in addition capable of neutralising influence mines.

(e)Chemical Biological Reaction Nuclear Protection-

The Crew and all Systems should be protected against the effects of Nuclear Explosions, EMP attacks, Toxic Chemical Agents and Biological Warfare Agents and be able to operate effectively in a Chemical Biological Reaction Nuclear environment for Six Hours. It should also incorporate an automated digital CBRN warning system along with serviceability indication.

(f) Ergonomics-
The tank should have suspended seats for the crew members, capable of absorbing the energy of an explosion of up to 15kgs of TNT in the belly.

(g) Instant Fire-Detection and Suppression System

Incorporating environment-friendly, non-ozone depleting suppressant materials, and having an automatic activation response of not more than 100 milliseconds for the crew compartment and 01 second for the engine compartment along with serviceability indications.

(h) Ammunition Storage-

1512882488795.png

All ammunition should be stored in easily accessible containerised compartments, with suitable safety measures like Blow-Off Panels, to ensure Crew Protection from any accidental explosion involving blast, heat and fire.

(i) Signature anagement Technologies-

Incorporate Signature Management Technologies to suppress various signatures viz, Visual, Acoustic, Thermal and Electromagnetic, by at least 25% of the unsuppressed value.

(6) Mobility:

(a) Power to Weight Ratio-

Not less than 25:1 HP/Ton, with Full Combat Weight.

(b) Maximum speed-

1512882520023.png

(i) Forward.

(aa) Cross Country. At least 45 kmph.

(ab) Road. At least 70 kmph.

(ii) Reverse-

At least 20 kmph.

(c) Acceleration-

From 0-40 kmph in not more than 10 seconds on Flat Gravel Ground.

(d) Tilt At least 250
(e) Gradient At least 300
(f) Nominal Ground Pressure (NGP)-

Not more than 0.85 kg/cm2
(g) Operating Range Not less than 300km in Cross-Country/Desert Terrain and 500km on Road.

(h) Obstacle Crossing Capability-

(i) Minimum Fording Capabilities: –

1512882574857.png

(aa) Shallow Fording. 1.2m depth, without Tank Preparation.

(ab) Medium Fording. 1.8m depth, after 15 Minutes Preparation.

(ac) Deep Fording. 5m depth, for a Minimum Width up to 1000m.

(ii) Vertical Obstacle-
Not less than 0.85m (without external attachments).

1512882597889.png

(iii) Trench Crossing-
Not less than 2.6m(without external attachments).

(i) Suspension Dynamic Suspension System.
(j) Transmission system-

An Automatic Transmission System, with a Mechanical Redundancy.

Part 4 Credit @Tarun

(k) Engine-

1512882690846.png

1500 HP with the option of Manual Override by the Crew and Alternate Starting Mode. The life of the Engine (without overhaul) should not be less than 1000 hours.

(l) Tracks-

1512882718156.png

Quick-Fit and Detachable Rubberised Pads, incorporating a Dynamic And Automatic Track Tension Measurement and Adjustment System.

(m) Braking System-

Regenerative Braking System.
(n) Special Equipment

(o) It should have a facility for aligning the tank for negotiating a Bridge Layer Tank Railway Wagon/ Tank Transporter.The tank should have Self-Extrication Capability.

(7) Communication:
(a) Radio Communication-

Software Defined Radio. It should be integrated with the Inter-Crew Communication System and other Electronic Systems installed in the tank.

(b) External Communication and Inter Communication:

(i) External Communication. The facility to communicate with other stations on the external radio network should be available to all crew members.

(ii) Internal Communication. A digital Crew Inter-Communication System for all the crew members. There should be external sockets to enable communication with a person located outside the tank.

(c) Remote Communication-

The Commander should be able to communicate remotely with all outstations as well as on the Internal Communication while away from his tank up to a distance of 25m.

(8) Other Capabilities:
(a) Battlefield Management System-

To include an advanced Identification-Friend-or-Foe system. The Situation Awareness Data obtained from the Tactical Information Systems shall be displayed on a Geographic Information System, Military Grade based touch panel, located inside the Future Ready Combat Vehicle.

1512882769396.png

(b) Navigation-Navigation-
The Hybrid Navigation System, retaining the capability for incorporating satellite (Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System) and Inertial Navigation as and when it is Operationalized.

(c) Ergonomics & Crew Comfort-

1512882796241.png

(i) Improved Tank Helmets, incorporating Built-In Noise-Cancelling Headphones and Enabling Hands-Free Communication.

(ii) A 1500 Viewing Arc for the Driver while driving closed down. There should also be a provision for rear and side view display inside the driver compartment.

(iii) Provision for storing potable water at a scale of 20 litres per day per crew member and vehicle for 72 hours.

(iv) There should be a provision forEmergency Escape for the Crew in the Tank.

(v) There should be a provision of Individual Underwater Breathing Apparatus (IUWBA) for all Crew Members for Survivability during Deep Fording.

(d) Environment Control Unit-

With Minimum Temperature to be maintained at 25°± 05°C at Ambient Temperature 45°±5°C.

(e) Auxiliary Power Unit-

To operate Specified Systems (FCS, Viewing Devices, GCE, Communication Systems, Battlefield Management System, Navigation System, and Battery Charging) for up to Six Hours continuously with the Main Engine Off.

(f) Stowage-
The Future Ready Combat Vehicle should have suitable ruggedized containers and arrangements for the logistic needs of the crew so that they can be Self-Contained for 96 hours.

(g) Mil Std All electrical and electro-mechanical systems/sub systems/assemblies of Future Ready Combat Vehicle shall comply with latest version of EMI/EMC Test Standard 861 as applicable at the time of issue of RFP.

(9) Operation and Maintenance:

1512882815502.png

(a) Family of Technical Support Vehicles:

(i) Minimum two workshop-level Technical Support Vehicle, one as Workshop Repair Lorry (Chassis and Automotive, Armament, Electrical any other facilities) and second as Guided Weapon System and Communication System Repair Lorry (Missiles and Communication Requirements), based on the systems that can be diagnosed and repaired/replaced in Battle Conditions.

(ii) The Vehicle Platform should be in Service 8 x 8 Vehicle.

(b) Built-In Test Facility:

(i) The Future Ready Combat Vehicle should have an ‘On-board Monitoring and Diagnostic system’ which will be receiving inputs from sensors of various systems fitted in the tank and provide real time information on digital display regarding status of serviceability of the system.

(ii) Each system should incorporate a built-in diagnostic and test facility and will be displayed on the information unit of the commander. Driver will have a separate display system for systems related to Engine, Transmission, and Running Gear.

(c) Mil Std-
All electrical and electronic system/sub-systems/assemblies of Future Ready Combat Vehicle shall comply with latest version of JSS: 55555 (or the latest standard/ protocol in vogue).as applicable at the time of issue of Request for Proposal. Other components shall be of Military-Grade Standards to ensure the Reliability and Ruggedisation of the components.

(d) Reliability:
(i) All systems and sub-systems, including ammunition, should be capable of operating between minus 30° and plus 50° C ambient temperature to include HAA areas.

(ii) The assemblies/sub-assemblies of all systems of Future Ready Combat Vehicle should have very high Mission Reliability and very high Mean Time Between Failures /Mean Time To Repair.

(e) Maintainability:
(i) The Future Ready Combat Vehicle should incorporate modular systems to enable quick replacement and repairs at Field Workshop level.

(ii) All sub-systems of the Future Ready Combat Vehicle should have high Mean Time Between Failures and low Mean Time Taken to Repair.

(f) Technical Literature/User Handbooks-

All the requisite technical literature and user handbooks, in bilingual form, should be provided along with the tank.

(g) Training Aids-
(i) Containerised Advance Training Simulators for Driving, Gunnery and Crew Integration.

(ii) Section-ised/ Working models, Technical Charts and Blow-Up Diagrams.

(iii) Computer Based Trainer packages.

(iv) Tactical-Cum-Firing Training system which can be integrated into the tank FCS.

(h) Driver Information System-

(i) A processor unit which will display vital performance parameters of engine and transmission unit. Based on the parameters, the processor should also display messages related to periodical maintenance tasks and have facilities to enter the date of carrying out the tasks for retrieval of information at later point of time.

(ii) Software being used in any of the systems/simulators must be developed as per procedure stipulated in IEEE 12207 or mutually agreed procedure which is better. The quality model used by the manufacturer/developer of software should be ISO/IEC 25010:2015 or better.

(10) Initial and Recurring Requirement:
(a) Prototypes-
03 tanks for user trials.
(b) Series Production-

Not less than 150 tanks per year

SOME KEY POINTS:
(a) Tank Urban Survival Kit (TUSK)-

1512882850322.png

The crew should be able to fit TUSK within Six Hours in Field. The sides and belly should have protection from CE weapons and IEDs of up to 25kg of TNT.

(b) Shooting Sensing-

Provision to incorporate Shooting Sensing Technology to sense the direction of firing by an Anti-Tank Weapon System.

(d) Stealth Technologies-

1512882905888.png

Stealth and Signature Management Technologies

as part of Survivability Measures, as and when

developed.
(e) Mobility-
(1) Active Suspension–

Active Suspension for sensing the terrain and providing a fully stable firing platform during move.

(2) Codificationand Standardisation

(i) All items of Future Ready Combat Vehicle down to component level must be codified with Bar Coded Identification.

(ii) In case of indigenous manufacture, the items shall be codified from the directorate of standardisation at the time of supply of Future Ready Combat Vehicle and part numbers mentioned in technical documents.

KEY CHARACTERISTICS OF SOME DESIRED SYSTEMS:

1512882933702.png

(a) Intelligent Power Management System to provide Distributed Power.

(b) Modular, Variable HP, intelligent engine with Minimum 1500 HP.

1512882962564.png

(c) Light Weight, High Hardness Composite Material for Passive Armour

These are what Indian Army wants in their new future armoured platform.

What do you think about this? Write in the comment section.

1512883014380.png

FRCV – A Complete Details

Yeah, but this is just a study.

The actual tank will not have DRDO as the designer. It will be a private company with a foreign partner. But DRDO will act as a technology partner.
For that MoD have to approve first. Army can make all import wishlist they want.
When we have already proven in designing and developing state of the art tank and insisting on importing won't cut it.

• Agree
Reactions: bonobashi
Yeah, but this is just a study.

The actual tank will not have DRDO as the designer. It will be a private company with a foreign partner. But DRDO will act as a technology partner.

I've read both documents and it was published before FRCV RFI and what i understood that we're going for revolutionary design rahter evolutionary design which could have been Arjun mk-3 FMBT. Paper said that DRDO can't design revolutionary,then FRCV was issued which stated FRCV will form base platform for MBT. DRDO had a project to develop an 1,800 HP indigenous engine while CVRDE proposed to develop an active suspension for FMBT by 2030. So it must be a plan for beyond 2030 in my opinion.