DRDO QRSAM and SPYDER Air Defence Systems

20201117_185929.png

9th successful test.

Last edited:
Akash mk2,akask ng, wuick reaction missile & vlsam all having similar range of interception. Dont know why we are duplicating things.
Akash ng is canisterized and advance version of akash MK1 and will replace it and akash MK2 is extended range version of it both are installed at a place like air force base and is non movable. Akash MK1 itself has much longer range than QRsam.

QRsam is mobile moves along with its radars with the armed unit and has faster reaction and is meant for point protection and will have extended range version once Astra MK2 is ready.

VLsam is vertical launched Sam and is mostly used to safeguard ships and provide 360 degree coverage ideal for ships it will replace Israeli Baraks. So all have different roles and different uses.

I hope you have got some clarity...😊

Akash ng is canisterized and advance version of akash MK1 and will replace it and akash MK2 is extended range version of it both are installed at a place like air force base and is non movable. Akash MK1 itself has much longer range than QRsam.

QRsam is mobile moves along with its radars with the armed unit and has faster reaction and is meant for point protection and will have extended range version once Astra MK2 is ready.

VLsam is vertical launched Sam and is mostly used to safeguard ships and provide 360 degree coverage ideal for ships it will replace Israeli Baraks. So all have different roles and different uses.

I hope you have got some clarity...😊

Akash mk1 also mobile right..

Photo s with carrier taking 3 akash missile.

However testing photo s show laucher without the vehicle.

720kg heavy missile it is , compared to QRSAM it's almost 3 times the wt.

Reactions: JustCurious
I don't know, some one with technical knowledge can be shed some light on it.
@safriz
Pointless my friend.
If I confront forum members with good logic and technical arguments and the can't prove me wrong, the 1971 switcharoo gets pulled out..and I get thread banned and comments get deleted.
So I rather save my time and energy and keep being a silent reader.
Good luck.

Akash mk1 also mobile right..

Photo s with carrier taking 3 akash missile.

However testing photo s show laucher without the vehicle.

720kg heavy missile it is , compared to QRSAM it's almost 3 times the wt.
Engagement altitude of Akash is much higher too.

Reactions: Sathya
True that Boranes in rocket fuel produce green flame. But so does evaporation of copper which is used as a plug for sealng the solid booster nozzle.
Boranes are used as starter for ignition of the rest of the rocket fuel and not as the main fuel.
Boranes are very toxic and not suitable for use with people around. Such as the staff of the missile launcher, and there are other limitations too.
However there are some exceptional cases, such as Meteor BVR . On that missile Boranes are used as the main fuel, but with plenty of tricks .

Reactions: Hydra
Pointless my friend.
If I confront forum members with good logic and technical arguments and the can't prove me wrong, the 1971 switcharoo gets pulled out..and I get thread banned and comments get deleted.
So I rather save my time and energy and keep being a silent reader.
Good luck.
These type of fallacy i have seen from both sides in all defence forums, but it should not prevent some one going technical.

Reactions: JustCurious
Next 3-4 years are going to be critical for our Missile capabilities to mature and getting inducted. It includes, SAM's, AAM's and Anti Tank missiles. I hope all the current projects come to their logical and successful conclusions with the induction to our Armed forces. We are at the brink of self reliance with missiles and now should focus on our Naval needs. Replacement for Exocet, Klub & Sub launched torpedoes, with a 5-7 year plan to replace all existing imported Naval missiles / torpedoes.

Indian government now have to invest more on DRDO, so that the various labs can hire younger talents in the country. We should also focus on missile export, especially in the Air Defense segment as we have some platforms maturing, namely Akash & QRSAM. Exports have to be encouraged with the defense attaché's across the world should market it to friendly countries.

Reactions: Proud_Indian

Indigenous quick reaction air defence system to be ready for production next year

Laser beam technology ensures missile cannot be jammed

The indigenous Quick Reaction Surface to Air Missile (QRSAM) being developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) is expected to complete user trials in the next six months and be ready for production next year, according to a defence official.
The QRSAM is a critical requirement for the Army, which has been looking to replace existing air defence systems.
“The QRSAM is the country’s first indigenous mobile air defence system and meant for the Army’s Strike Corps to be mobile on vehicles. The development activity is complete and preparations are on for user trials. The Defence Acquisition Council has given conditional approval,” an official said. “In the next six months we want to finish user trials and by next year we will be ready by production,” the official added.

As per Chapter 4 of the new Defence Acquisition Procedure (DAP) 2020, if items are developed by a production agency there are single-stage user trials, which will further speed up the development process, the official stated.

90% indigenous

The QRSAM has a range of 30 km and can target an altitude of up to 10 km. The system is currently 90% indigenous and will reach 99% incrementally. The whole software is indigenous and the code and logic everything built here, the official said.
The radar and control systems are manufactured by Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL), launcher by Larsen & Toubro (L&T) and the missiles by Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL). Some electronics like IC, electro-optic system and detector are currently imported. “They will also be indigenised,” the official added.
The DRDO carried out two successful test firings in November after which it said the missile precisely hit a Banshee target and destroyed it completely. “This was achieved with a new indigenously developed technology of Laser Proximity Fuse (LPF) for pin-pointed accuracy of hit. Till date, all missiles used Radio Proximity Fuzes,” said another official. “The LPF was developed by Instruments Research and Development Establishment (IRDE) in the last two years with a specific push by [DRDO] Chairman Satheesh Reddy,” he added.
The first official explained that the laser beam ensures the missile cannot be jammed. Akash was the country’s first automated air defence system and QRSAM is the first indigenous on-the-move air defence system, he observed.
The system gives 360 degree coverage and has been customised on domestic Ashok Leyland 8x8 vehicles. The launcher has six missiles and can target six different targets in 360 degrees, the official said, adding that all components, the radar, launcher and support vehicles are mobile.
In November, the first test achieved the milestone of a direct hit while the second test proved the performance parameters of warhead, the DRDO had stated. The flight test was conducted in the deployment configuration of the system comprising of launcher, fully automated command and control system, surveillance system and multi-function radars.

Interesting development , Kudos to DRDO (y)

“This was achieved with a new indigenously developed technology of Laser Proximity Fuse (LPF) for pin-pointed accuracy of hit. Till date, all missiles used Radio Proximity Fuzes,” said another official. “The LPF was developed by Instruments Research and Development Establishment (IRDE) in the last two years with a specific push by [DRDO] Chairman Satheesh Reddy,” he added. The first official explained that the laser beam ensures the missile cannot be jammed

Reactions: Sathya
Interesting development , Kudos to DRDO (y)

“This was achieved with a new indigenously developed technology of Laser Proximity Fuse (LPF) for pin-pointed accuracy of hit. Till date, all missiles used Radio Proximity Fuzes,” said another official. “The LPF was developed by Instruments Research and Development Establishment (IRDE) in the last two years with a specific push by [DRDO] Chairman Satheesh Reddy,” he added. The first official explained that the laser beam ensures the missile cannot be jammed
The same fuse goes to Astra mk2.

• Informative
Reactions: TARGET