Airborne Early Warning Systems - A-50EI Phalcon, DRDO Netra AEW&C, DRDO AWACS

AWACS detects threat way before it becomes a threat, and directs assets towards it.
It cannot outrun or out maneuver a fighter jet or a missile, no matter which plane is being used.

For Pakistan the Saab-2000 platform costs 800 usd per hour to run.
A jet powered same sized plane will cost 2000 usd per flight hour.
An IL-76 costs 15000 and above per flying hour.

So for us , finance is also an important factor for choosing the plane.

That's actually what I meant when I said it's an affordability problem.

On the other hand , small sized Awacs can also allow any Air force to have a 24 / 7 coverage

We should have tried to get more Embraers instead of forever waiting for Phalcons

Not really. Large AWACS can also do the same.

As already mentioned, Embraers can't do everything necessary hence the need for larger aircraft. Embraer is too small.

Where is the money

Actually, we are funding all that, that's why we don't have money for more fighter jets, like a second Rafale batch.

Anyway, the tweet's made an error. The second one's supposed to be 2 Phalcons. The AWACS based on A320 is now being called Netra Mk2, basically the successor to the now dead AWACS India. So the second one's not from DRDO.

Actually, we are funding all that, that's why we don't have money for more fighter jets, like a second Rafale batch.

Anyway, the tweet's made an error. The second one's supposed to be 2 Phalcons. The AWACS based on A320 is now being called Netra Mk2, basically the successor to the now dead AWACS India. So the second one's not from DRDO.
Can't u read properly it's clearly written AWACS India. DAC had also cleared acquisition of 2 such aircrafts.

Reactions: Shekhar Singh
Can't u read properly it's clearly written AWACS India. DAC had also cleared acquisition of 2 such aircrafts.

DAC sanctioned 6.

The team that developed the Netra AEW&C airborne system in service with the Indian Air Force has now been split into two expanded teams — one focused on the ISTAR program, and the other working on the Netra Mk.2, a program where the existing Netra radar system will be integrated with pre-owned Air India A320 passenger jets.

Netra Mk2 could also be a civilian name, not the official name. But it doesn't make sense to call this new program AWACS India since it was with the A330. The A320 program is new.

If you're still referring to the 2 based on A330 that DAC cleared years ago, then at this moment, consider it as dead. At the very least, the A320 deal has to get done with first. But at the same time, neither the Phalcon nor the A330 version have been officially declared to be terminated.

The infographic is referring to the first two A320s that will be converted instead of all 6 at once. And the tweet is misrepresenting it by dividing the same program into 2.

Reactions: Chain Smoker
E6oYL5gVEAAYlrq.jpg

Ex-Air India Airbus for DRDO AEW&CS

View attachment 20315
If I’m not wrong, currently DRDO uses Dornier turboprops test bed for radar and electronic subsystem testing. Considering we still don’t have anything for engine and supersonic flight testing What advantages this new test bed will provide over the Dornier we have right now?

Also it appears to me that it’s somehow related with P8is. Maybe part of offset deal by Boing.

View attachment 20315
VT-SCO is an A319. Wasn't the Netra 2 supposed to have A320-200s of AI?

I think it might be photoshoped..
If I’m not wrong, currently DRDO uses Dornier turboprops test bed for radar and electronic subsystem testing. Considering we still don’t have anything for engine and supersonic flight testing What advantages this new test bed will provide over the Dornier we have right now?

Also it appears to me that it’s somehow related with P8is. Maybe part of offset deal by Boing.
Why will an offset deal with Boeing include an Airbus aircraft?

VT-SCO is an A319. Wasn't the Netra 2 supposed to have A320-200s of AI?

I think it might be photoshoped..
It ain't photoshoped. This A319 is a 'testbed' for DRDO to test its Netra-2 AEW&C system, not the final product to be offered to the IAF. The final AEW&CS will be mounted on an A320-200, as you said.....

Reactions: Chain Smoker