Airborne Early Warning Systems - A-50EI Phalcon, DRDO Netra AEW&C, DRDO AWACS

I was speaking your language. 

You mean you're an adult now. Congratulations.

That's only comparing to a jetliner like the A330. This goes even more to show that Netra is even more useless.
Yet they were used. In the aftermath of Balakote. Without any fear of it getting shot down & was appreciated too.

I see you consider good the enemy of better. Just like the IAF or the rest of the armed forces. You speak like one of those in the staff of ACM N.A.K Browne. Why aren't we surprised?

Yep. 2 Phalcons, 8 A330s, and then 6 more A330s, which will come in by 2030.
Hmm. 5-7 years from today is 2024-26 & it was 10 brand new AWACS as per you a few posts earlier.Now, as per you, it's 2030 . In a year, your 5-7 years, would get to be 2032 . Then 2034. And on & on. Meh (?) Just when I thought you think like an IAF officer, you become a babu.

If Netra is the alternative. But there are many more aerostats coming, especially indigenous ones.
You mean if more NETRA's are built, you'd eat your shoe. Don't throw it back to me. I'm not so insistent on NETRA's induction as you're so vehemently opposed to it. Recall the HTT v/s Pilatus episode. Where you flipped sides so casually & nonchalantly that Sharad & Ajit Pawar would've blushed.

Damn! You so consistently defy being pigeonholed.

Pls do it.

Last edited:
Short points:

1. P8I's AN/APY-10(I) has an A2A mode with an open source range of 200 miles. It is fairly good. IAF did not order P8s because it is primarily meant for anti-submarine/surface warship operations and A2A mode was added on Indian variants only. These will be the backbone AWACS for any potential amphibious operation which shall be supported by Navy and the Naval Air Arm.
2. _Netra_ are complimentary to AWACS and in no ways equivalent or replacement of Phalcons.
3. A330 variants remain stalled for the next couple of years as the GoI is not willing to allot money for the same. The priority right now is to replace Avro HS748s and upgrade the IL-76s and An-32s to enhance their service life. I do not see money even for the proposed 114 fighters from a foreign OEM right now and hence this can explain the rather 'go slow' approach on MRCA 2.0.

You mean you're an adult now. Congratulations.

Yet they were used. In the aftermath of Balakote. Without any fear of it getting shot down & was appreciated too.

I see you consider good the enemy of better. Just like the IAF or the rest of the armed forces. You speak like one of those in the staff of ACM N.A.K Browne. Why aren't we surprised?

Hmm. 5-7 years from today is 2024-26 & it was 10 brand new AWACS as per you a few posts earlier.Now, as per you, it's 2030 . In a year, your 5-7 years, would get to be 2032 . Then 2034. And on & on. Meh (?) Just when I thought you think like an IAF officer, you become a babu.

You mean if more NETRA's are built, you'd eat your shoe. Don't throw it back to me. I'm not so insistent on NETRA's induction as you're so vehemently opposed to it. Recall the HTT v/s Pilatus episode. Where you flipped sides so casually & nonchalantly that Sharad & Ajit Pawar would've blushed.

Damn! You so consistently defy being pigeonholed.

Pls do it.

Dude, you are getting more and more tedious as the days go by. Been missing your pal, GND?

I didn't flip anything on Pilatus and you do not understand much about the military. I think I'm gonna ignore you from now on.
Sir my only point is that p8 radars are not better than phalcon in terms of Airborne Early Warning aircraft (AWACS).

Sure. Phalcon is a more dedicated early warning system while the P-8's radar is primarily meant for fire control. When it comes to AWACS, the IAF is interested in early warning with greater targets tracked much more than fire control, since they already have a lot of fighter jets for fire control.
Short points:
3. A330 variants remain stalled for the next couple of years as the GoI is not willing to allot money for the same. The priority right now is to replace Avro HS748s and upgrade the IL-76s and An-32s to enhance their service life. I do not see money even for the proposed 114 fighters from a foreign OEM right now and hence this can explain the rather 'go slow' approach on MRCA 2.0.

Are you sure the A330s need a lot of money for development? AFAIK, the radar's development has already started.

I agree with the fighter jets being delayed, considering the state of the economy.

Reactions: _Anonymous_
Are you sure the A330s need a lot of money for development? AFAIK, the radar's development has already started.

I agree with the fighter jets being delayed, considering the state of the economy.

I am talking of the status of A330 program right now.....

As for RADAR development ..... that has been going on for sometime. Nothing new there.

@_Anonymous_ one more thing - the only limitation in Phalcons today is the crew changeover, for which the craft needs to come down ... otherwise, it can be up forever except for some spare issue. Has airborne refueling capability.

As for RADAR development ..... that has been going on for sometime. Nothing new there.

@_Anonymous_ one more thing - the only limitation in Phalcons today is the crew changeover, for which the craft needs to come down ... otherwise, it can be up forever except for some spare issue. Has airborne refueling capability.
Any reason why a spare crew can't be accommodated in the IL -76 ? Space issues or something else. Perhaps that's what the article I've quoted, posted by @Gautam was hinting at when they mentioned not much endurance.

I was surprised to note that as I believed the IL -76 to have aerial refuelling capabilities. Was wondering how could they be categorized thus unless there were other technical issues which the post didn't hint at.

I was also thinking

what advantage would A330 bring if everything is fine with Il76 .

I think I read in past that we went for C17 because of the availability.

And by multiple cancellation s to buy tankers cast doubts on what's happening. Capabilities vs Cost factor swinging the decisions.

Surely military people will have better judgement than civies.
We have to raise the points to get more understanding.

Okay, so we can't afford to pay for the two aircraft and modify them. But I think we are all up for the deal with the US for 1+4 ISTARs though. I guess priorities. The govt probably thinks those 2 Phalcons will make do for now.

I suppose there is some room to wait. In the meantime, it's possible that Airbus will make their own plans for AWACS, which will help us later on.

Do you think the IAF will show interest in Russia's latest creation?

1214229.jpg

Any reason why a spare crew can't be accommodated in the IL -76 ? Space issues or something else. Perhaps that's what the article I've quoted, posted by @Gautam was hinting at when they mentioned not much endurance.

I was surprised to note that as I believed the IL -76 to have aerial refuelling capabilities. Was wondering how could they be categorized thus unless there were other technical issues which the post didn't hint at.

Two rationale exist:

1. Too many eggs in a basket. If the nasket breaks, all eggs are lost.

2. Not all eggs are of similar capability. And crews can not be kept in an aircraft forever.

• Informative
Reactions: _Anonymous_
Okay, so we can't afford to pay for the two aircraft and modify them. But I think we are all up for the deal with the US for 1+4 ISTARs though. I guess priorities. The govt probably thinks those 2 Phalcons will make do for now.

I suppose there is some room to wait. In the meantime, it's possible that Airbus will make their own plans for AWACS, which will help us later on.

Do you think the IAF will show interest in Russia's latest creation?

1214229.jpg
The A-100 has a rotating radar dome.. not exactly cutting edge... as there will be a time gap when tracking an aircraft or missile.

Reactions: Abhay rajput
The A-100 has a rotating radar dome.. not exactly cutting edge... as there will be a time gap when tracking an aircraft or missile.

I was just throwing it out there. It's quite unlikely for us to go for it.

As for the radar, it's fixed. Look at the fixture.

I have a feeling by the time everything is get to go, rotodome is going to be out dated.. We ll be looking a fresh for aircraft s again.