Airborne Early Warning Systems - A-50EI Phalcon, DRDO Netra AEW&C, DRDO AWACS

India will add 2 more aircraft to strengthen AWACS capabilities

Armed with deep penetration and long-range radars, AWACS control the battle theatre in times of hostilities by providing advance information about movement of air assets of the adversary.
INDIA Updated: May 01, 2019 09:32 IST
Shishir0001-klw-U20768783376H2-250x250%40HT-Web.jpg

Shishir Gupta
Hindustan Times, New Delhi

_cd10a0ce-6bc5-11e9-9975-c8a46a094be1.jpg

The deal is worth around $ 2 billion, with the radar mounted on Russian platform.

A day before the February 26 air strike by India on a Jaish-e-Mohammed training facility in Balakot in Pakistan, the country’s defence ministry moved the Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) for acquisition of two more PHALCON airborne warning and control systems (AWACS) aircraft from Israel to match Pakistan’s growing capabilities, according to people familiar with the matter.

The deal is worth around $ 2 billion, with the radar mounted on Russian platform.

With the air strike, and the dogfight between Indian and Pakistani jets the day after, highlighting the importance of aerial supremacy, the Indian Air Force plans to approach the Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) after the new government takes over in late May, for the purchase of 21 upgraded MiG-29 air defence fighters from Russia to arrest the growing shortfall in fighter squadrons. This deal is expected to be worth around ₹4,500 crore. Russia has completely switched to Su-30 platforms and MiG 29 fighters have been lying mothballed with MiG-MAPO corporation.

Four people directly involved in the process said that the need for PHALCON AWACS was felt as Pakistan has seven of them in service as compared to five in service with IAF. After the Balakot strike, the requirement was felt more acutely with Islamabad deploying two AWACS round-the-clock in the north and the south, while India had AWACS up for only 12 hours a day along its northern and western borders. Both sides put AWACS to good use during the February 27 air skirmish in the Nowshera sector of Jammu.

Armed with deep penetration and long-range radars, AWACS control the battle theatre in times of hostilities by providing advance information about movement of air assets of the adversary as well as directing air defence to prevent any breach of home air space.

According to the people cited above, Pakistan has three SAAB-2000 and four Shaanxi Y-8 turbo-prop airborne early warning systems; it reportedly lost two SAAB aircraft in a terrorist attack on PNS Mehran in Karachi on May 22-23, 2011. The SAAB radars provide a 270-degree coverage of the enemy positions but the platform has height restrictions due to turbo-prop engines.

In comparison, IAF has three Israeli built PHALCON AWACS and two more DRDO built early warning systems mounted on an Embraer jet platform. The Israeli aircraft is fitted with the top-of-the-line Green Pine radar system that can look into enemy territory up to a range of 300 to 500km . It is this aircraft that successfully directed the air operations against a package of 24 Pakistan Air Force fighters on February 27 in Nowshera, the people added.

First Published: May 01, 2019 07:42 IST

India will add 2 more aircraft to strengthen AWACS capabilities

Americans have brought up E7 offer on the table, citing India operates P8I already. They think the possible needs are of around 10 E7 type aircrafts in IAF.

Where the hell is DRDO with its A330 based radar ??

Reactions: Sathya
Americans have brought up E7 offer on the table, citing India operates P8I already. They think the possible needs are of around 10 E7 type aircrafts in IAF.

Where the hell is DRDO with its A330 based radar ??

Have we really ordered additional 2 phalcons?

I read few days back, Iaf took over the 3 Rd netra, DrDo was using for research purposes.

2 AWACS, air-to-air missiles on agenda for Netanyahu visit

Top diplomats based in New Delhi and Tel Aviv said on condition of anonymity that an advanced security liaison team from Israel will land in Delhi on September 2 to prepare ground for the prime ministerial visit.

Updated: Aug 27, 2019 07:39 IST
Shishir Gupta
Hindustan Times, New Delhi
jerusalem-meeting-israeli-cabinet-minister-benjamin-netanyahu_ed1be730-c82b-11e9-80e5-a7e5951f3eba.jpg
While India has five AWACS platforms, Pakistan already has seven such with another three on order from China. (Reuters Photo)

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is expected to visit India for a day two weeks from now. On the agenda are the acquisition of two more Airborne Warning and Control Systems (AWACS) and extended range air to air Derby missiles by the Indian Air Force and joint projects in agriculture, water and waste management.

Top diplomats based in New Delhi and Tel Aviv said on condition of anonymity that an advanced security liaison team from Israel will land in Delhi on September 2 to prepare ground for the prime ministerial visit. While the exact date has not been decided, Netanyahu is expected to meet his friend Prime Minister Narendra Modi either on September 7 or 8.

Arriving in India a week before the September 17 general elections in Israel, Netanyahu is expected to endorse Modi government’s scrapping of articles 370 and 35 A in Kashmir as an internal matter and support the bilateral resolution of issues between India and Pakistan, the diplomats said.

Although the two allies typically play down the defence content of the across-the-spectrum relationship, India plans to order two PHALCON AWACS mounted on Russian A-50 platform (worth $ 2 billion) for better control of the war theatre .

The order is awaiting a green signal from the Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS).

While India has five AWACS platforms, Pakistan already has seven such with another three on order from China. Islamabad already has three SAAB Erieye and four ZDK-03 from China, which were deployed 24X7 after the Balakot air strike by the Indian Air Force on a terrorist facility in Pakistan. Given this differential, IAF deployed AWACS for only 12 hours a day.

The IAF is also looking towards the acquisition of extended range Derby air to air missiles from Israel after Pakistan used 70 km AIM-120 C 100 kilometre beyond visual range missiles against Indian jets in its February 27 retaliation to the Balakot strike.

IAF wants to integrate the 70 kilometre range Derby missiles on the Su-30 MKI platform with upgraded radar equipped with data link to take the fight to Pakistani F-16s in future.

India and Israel are jointly developing the short, medium and long range surface to air missiles in collaboration with the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).

PM Modi meets Trump, says 'all issues between India-Pakistan are bilateral'

Prime Minister Modi met US President Donald Trump on the sidelines of the G7 summit in Biarritz, France. PM Modi said that India and Pakistan will resolve all bilateral issues on their own, while Trump said that PM Modi has the Kashmir situation.

Apart from the defence agenda, PM Modi is looking towards his Israeli counterpart to provide high-end technologies to provide potable water to each home as well as manage waste. Israel has mastered the technology to convert sea water into potable water with desalination projects in Ashkelon and Hadera through reverse osmosis.

Both countries are already collaborating the fields of start-ups as well as agricultural technologies focused on irrigation and productivity.

2 AWACS, air-to-air missiles on agenda for Netanyahu visit

The ‘eye in the sky’ project — an aircraft-mounted radar that can look deep into enemy territory and direct combat assets for a strike — is set to get a boost with the defence ministry likely to clear next week the acquisition of two Airbus A330 platforms that will be modified by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).

Officials said the air force has been unimpressed with the loitering time of the Phalcons. Though the aircraft have a wider range of coverage than the Netra, it is unable to stay airborne long enough to meet operational requirements.

DRDO will oversee structural modifications and adaptations for a 10m rotodome that will be mounted on the aircraft. The system will have an electronically scanned array radar that will give 360 degree radar coverage. The air force estimates that the two indigenous AWACS will be inducted into service by 2025 and will be a major force multiplier over the coming years.

1574432929379.png

Read the whole article here : After Balakot show, government to have more desi eyes in the sky

• Informative
Reactions: GuardianRED
I don't know. They were supposed to be signed when Netanyahu visited India. But the visit was delayed I think. So maybe they are waiting for that to officially announce it.
So, in effect what you're saying is that these 2 indigenous AWACS are different from the Phalcons. Doesn't seem that way though. If I'm not mistaken, the indigenous program was for anywhere between 6-10 AWACS & 18-20 NETRA type AEWs. @randomradio ; @Milspec

So, in effect what you're saying is that these 2 indigenous AWACS are different from the Phalcons. Doesn't seem that way though. If I'm not mistaken, the indigenous program was for anywhere between 6-10 AWACS & 18-20 NETRA type AEWs. @randomradio ; @Milspec
The Phalcon radars are to be mounted on the Il-78 as we use it now. We are just buying more of it. Where as the DRDO AWACS will use and Indian radar mounted on the Airbus A330.

The two we are buying now are for prototype testing. Once its completed we will place a larger order of the A330.

The future of Netra looks pretty grim. Wasn't Embraer caught up in a corruption case and blacklisted ? The only hope for more Netra is lifting the blacklisting or making a newer AEW&C using the Airbus C295 platform.

The Phalcon radars are to be mounted on the Il-78 as we use it now. We are just buying more of it. Where as the DRDO AWACS will use and Indian radar mounted on the Airbus A330.

The two we are buying now are for prototype testing. Once its completed we will place a larger order of the A330.

The future of Netra looks pretty grim. Wasn't Embraer caught up in a corruption case and blacklisted ? The only hope for more Netra is lifting the blacklisting or making a newer AEW&C using the Airbus C295 platform.
I'm aware that the Phalcons use Il-78. I wrote what I did is coz there's no news of the Phalcons post approval by DAC or CCS on further orders & suddenly we've had this development of the DRDO - A-330 combination. Seems to me as if they've permanently dropped the Phalcons for these 2 prototypes.

Regarding the NETRA, I don't see the blacklisting of EMBRAER as a great impediment. Rather, the IAF was more keen on Phalcon type AWACS & as usual weren't too confident on DRDO's ability to deliver that they grudgingly decided to accept 3 AEW's from them, after a great deal of persuasion. Sort of like the via media MP worked out with the LCA - Mk1a before the definitive Mk2 / MWF materialized. Also this was part of the learning curve on DRDO's part.

There wasn't any follow up plan post delivery of the 3 by the IAF. Incidentally, the 3rd NETRA has been retained by the DRDO for further testing. For all you know, post the 26th & 27 th Feb developments, the IAF may just about revisit their stance on the NETRAs & ask for the next iteration. Fingers crossed.

I'm aware that the Phalcons use Il-78. I wrote what I did is coz there's no news of the Phalcons post approval by DAC or CCS on further orders & suddenly we've had this development of the DRDO - A-330 combination.
:cautious:
The plan to acquire Airbus A330 for this project was approved in 2015. Its been almost 5 years and you think its sudden.
Seems to me as if they've permanently dropped the Phalcons for these 2 prototypes.
I'll be the first one to sing good riddance. But I am quite sure we won't be able to compete the DRDO AWACS prototyping and testing in a year. As such the additional Phalcon will be needed to plug the hole for now.
Regarding the NETRA, I don't see the blacklisting of EMBRAER as a great impediment. Rather, the IAF was more keen on Phalcon type AWACS & as usual weren't too confident on DRDO's ability to deliver that they grudgingly decided to accept 3 AEW's from them, after a great deal of persuasion. Sort of like the via media MP worked out with the LCA - Mk1a before try definitive Mk2 / MWF materialized. Also this was part of the learning curve on DRDO's part.

There wasn't any follow up plan post delivery of the 3 by the IAF. Incidentally, the 3rd NETRA has been retained by the DRDO for further testing. For all you know, post the 26th & 27 th Feb developments, the IAF may just about revisit their stance on the NETRAs & ask for the next iteration. Fingers crossed.
Interesting POV. Do you think the AF would be interested in the NETRA based on the C295 ? I thought only the Navy/Coast Guards might be interested.

Interesting POV. Do you think the AF would be interested in the NETRA based on the C295 ? I thought only the Navy/Coast Guards might be interested.
Should be explored from my PoV. Wouldn't it be wonderful then. 2 sets of aircrafts for AEW & 2 sets of aircrafts for AWACS. Brazilians, French, Russians, etc.