Para-SF operator with painted AK (FAB kit), quarter-zip shirt -

Indian Army Para-SF FAB Defense AKM.PNG

Pic from Garuda Shakti 2019 joint exercise with Indonesian forces, check it out - the Multicam QZCT shirts make another appearance:

Garuda Shakti 2019 joint exercise 7th Para SF Airborne Multicam QZCT.jpeg

By the way, @Gautam , here's the first appearance of a Multicam QZCT shirt in Para-SF use, from about an year or so ago:

Para-SF Multicam QZCT.jpg

Reactions: GuardianRED
Para-SF operator with painted AK (FAB kit), quarter-zip shirt -
I've never seen that pattern being used in India. Russians do that don't they ? The paint on the gun I mean. The camo on the shirt looks good too.
By the way, @Gautam , here's the first appearance of a Multicam QZCT shirt in Para-SF use, from about an year or so ago:

para-sf-multicam-qzct-jpg.6684
Looks brilliant. I suppose we would need some time to adopt our patches to fit this type of shirts. Look at this, it just looks oversized and awkward. What patch is that ? Garuds medic ?
1558274806532.png

So you were right, we are seeing more wider adoption of quarter-zips. They will probably become standard for Para SF and other SF units. They also seem to be playing around quite a lot with the type of camo. We have seen plain black(NSG, SG, SPG), Multicams and Digicams of different colours/shades(Para) so far. Let's hope they choose camo according to the terrain and not the "one size fit all" approach that we previously had.

Do you think the recent news about the Army altering the uniforms a bit has anything to do with Quarter Zips ? Or is it just ceremonial uniforms ? Also do you think the QZ shirts will become standard for non-SF units(Ghataks, RR) and regular forces ?

The game itself occasionally...mostly use the Virtual Arsenal tool to visualize such outfits & loadouts.

More than couple of reasons:

Identification - not necessarily unit identification alone but also flag patches (if we have the option, I'd reckon many troops would love to wear a flag patch).

Plus, there are certain models of tactical cameras, flashlights, IR strobes, NVG battery packs/Counter-Weights that make use of Velcro interface. Examples:

MOHOC_0726_300ppi.jpg

CORE_Survival_HEL-STAR_F2_Combat_Tactical_Helmet_Strobe_Beacon_Light_SOFIC_2016_David_Crane_DefenseReview..com_DR_3.jpg

products-BatteryPouch_Helmet.jpg

In short, Velcro on the helmet has myriad uses for the operator who learns to make proper use of it.

These Velcro-based attachments become all the more necessary if the particular model of comm headset you have uses the side rails for retention, occupying that spot.

The radio itself (which can be stored on the vest somewhere) doesn't matter, more than likely it will be indigenous one. The point in question is the headset that allows for comfortable push-to-talk communication without having to reach for the radio brick handset every now and then, and also affords a level of protection against shrapnel, hearing loss (common problem for soldiers) etc.

i.e. this part -

001__90527.1551144062.jpg

The headset is connected via the cables to whatever radio system you have, the radio itself is typically carried in one of the pouches on the vest like this (right-most pouch) -

ThB01u2.jpg

Or on the back -

Jeff_Gurwitch_Top_Tactical_Gear_for_Deployment_DefenseReview.com_DR_Pic_H.jpg

It's a welcome change in my opinion. Most important part would be if we remove the need to tuck in the shirts (a tradition we only carry forward as a hangover from old British Indian Army days).

The_Chief_of_Army_Staff%2C_General_Bikram_Singh_with_the_Central_Army_Commander_Anil_Chait%2C_on_his_arrival%2C_at_Gauchar%2C_for_a_day-long_visit_to_flood_affected_areas_in_Uttarakhand_on_June_28%2C_2013.jpg

Instead, I feel we ought to go in for the American approach of an untucked uniform, it would be far more comfortable for the wearer. The difference between the British & American styles is clearly visible here:

View attachment 6641

That, and the next major improvement would be if we change the camouflage patterns we have. It is clear that IA requires theatre-specific colors on their camo patterns. The Multicam pattern and its numerous color variants, in my opinion, would be the perfect replacement for the current camouflage.

qvo10-3.jpg
Is there a reason to why ranks /regiment ID moved from the shoulders to the center chest ?

Operation Apache carried out on 19 November 2001 by 9 Para SF of the Army(Northern Command) response to Pakistani BAT operation along the LoC

1562583755257.png

NSG operator from 26 Special Composite Group (SCG), Mumbai Reginal Hub
1563817156421.png

@Parthu this has been bothering me for a while. Most of our troops use Monocular NVDs like this guy here. Notice how the helmet is tilted to the side ? That is caused by the weight of the NVD. If it was a Binocular NVD or dare I say a Panaromic NVD, this wouldn't be a problem at all.

How do we counter this problem ? except for obviously buying better NVDs.

NSG operator from 26 Special Composite Group (SCG), Mumbai Reginal Hub
View attachment 8334

@Parthu this has been bothering me for a while. Most of our troops use Monocular NVDs like this guy here. Notice how the helmet is tilted to the side ? That is caused by the weight of the NVD. If it was a Binocular NVD or dare I say a Panaromic NVD, this wouldn't be a problem at all.

How do we counter this problem ? except for obviously buying better NVDs.

From what I know, the monocular NVDs are simply not heavy enough to be a problem. A properly seated helmet with ample internal padding, and being securely fastened (the particular operative in the pic is obviously wearing it kinda sloppily) is more than enough (of course it starts with ensuring the helmets are the right size for the soldier's head). However, on an individual level, if a need is felt, the solution is as simple as adopting a helmet with velcro patches all around and employing a makeshift counterweight on the other side (can be made of anything, even a few rounds in a velcro pouch will do).

If it was a Binocular NVD or dare I say a Panaromic NVD, this wouldn't be a problem at all.

Binocular (and especially Panoramic) NODs create weight balance issues as well - though in their case the helmet tilts forward (droops over the forehead) instead of to a side. But again its a case-by-case basis, and when a particular user feels the droop is annoying, there exist established solutions: counterweights worn on the back of the helmet.

Busch-Counterweight-Cover.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Gautam
tweet is not visible. What was that ?
The Rashtriya Rifles has five divisions called, Romeo, Uniform, Delta, Kilo and Victor Forces. Two - Victor and Kilo are both in Kashmir Valley. It is Victor currently bearing the brunt of operations in South Kashmir. Why do you think I know chappa, chappa of South Kashmir... being said by hasnain sir.

• Informative
Reactions: Gautam

Great find (wish they'd actually show a room clearance drill, not just talk about how)! Not in agreement with everything said though:whistle:. Different training I suppose.

@Ashwin this is why you guys need to roll out video uploading!!! I have some great vids (and pics naturally) of MOBO, SIBO and CQB training both in country, with allied forces and as part of a training unit overseas (training Afghan and Iraqi special forces and special police). I can give you guys great written insight into CQB operations, but showing it would be awesome if we could get video upload capacity:).

Great find (wish they'd actually show a room clearance drill, not just talk about how)! Not in agreement with everything said though:whistle:. Different training I suppose.

@Ashwin this is why you guys need to roll out video uploading!!! I have some great vids (and pics naturally) of MOBO, SIBO and CQB training both in country, with allied forces and as part of a training unit overseas (training Afghan and Iraqi special forces and special police). I can give you guys great written insight into CQB operations, but showing it would be awesome if we could get video upload capacity:).
Check out the other videos in that channel :)

Reactions: Fafnir
NSG Training gear. Probably in Maneswar training facility. I do love their gear, except the saggy pouches.
1567869168464.png

Army in the China border with the venerable SVD Dragunov.
1567869338039.png