Gaming & Consumer Electronics

Hey now:mad:! I'm married, have a toddler running around my house and work and travel frequently and even I can find a few hundred hours every year to dump into The Witcher 3 or Civ 6. And that's on top of Mario Cart of Mario Party on the Switch with friends and family. It's fun to game with your significant other if they're interested in it.

I was talking about the passion with which he described his gaming pc.:)

Just finished up RE7 for the first time last night. Short but sweet(y).

You tried fortnite or pubg?

Never. I'm honestly not a fan of multiplayer games and even less so when the other persons are people I don't know. Shooters never really appealed to me either. I like RPGs, strategy, stealth and horror genres. so sometimes I'll play Endless Legend, Endless Space or Civ 6 with friends or my girlfriend, but not with others unless they come over for the holidays or a party.

How? 100% achievements with only 70 hours put in? Sorcery.

That's skipping through some cutscenes after two playthroughs on GOG and doing both expansions in a single run. It's hard on Death March, but I find a bomb heavy build (Bomber of Blaviken?) is best once you move into Blood and Wine for crowd control and whittling down high level enemies. Dancing Star is life. Literally. And it seems Igni does critical DOT to enemies already on fire from a Dancing Star bomb! I love the The Witcher 3, enough to have started it for a fourth time:). 100% on my first run on Steam wasn't too bad given I'd played it before and 75 hours is reasonable if you skip every other cutscene. Half that time was probably spent playing Gwent anyway:LOL:.

I have roughly 300 hours on GOG in 2 playthroughs.

I'm about 75 hours in on my first Steam playthrough (3rd playthrough overall, two earlier ones on GOG) and I've just entered Novigrad in Act 1. Although I'll admit I love to play this game real slow (I walk in almost all quests that don't require running, just taking in all the sights. And I'm covering every single side quest and collectible).

I definitely sympathize with this. My first run was 150 hours. It's a gorgeous game. 75 hours before Novigrad though?!? Did you do every other questline first? Crones and Bloody Baron? Skellige too? I take Kera's quest right after hitting Velen to get the lamp, then head off into the swamp and do the Baron's work and sometimes for a while, but then move onto Oxenfort and Novigrad ASAP and finish the Baron's questline (I don't like his story honestly) before moving onto Skellige and even that doesn't take 75 hours with all the cutscenes, quests and collectibles (that includes the patience it takes to drop some of the Elementals and Golems guarding Witcher Gear or other loot that are level 20+).

Geralt needs the cardio though, so I run everywhere and get impatient when forced to walk:mad:.

Speaking of the Witcher, have you read the books? I actually took a break from playing W3 after I reached Novigrad (after I completed W2: Assassins of Kings for the 3rd time) and decided to not go any further until after I complete reading all the books. I'm about half-done on the 5th book, 3 more to go before I touch W3 again.

No, never read the books. I don't like reading:whistle: since I spend much of my day compiling code. It's too much for my brain. I've watched several episodes of the show though. The perks of being fluent in Polish.

Now The Witcher 1 and 2 I've played. Hated 1. The story is great, but like you, and coming from 3, everything just didn't work. If I played it first I'd have loved it, and I love oldschool RPGs even with their clunky UIs (I'm looking at you System Shock 2 and Deus Ex), controls and whatnot. 2 I never finished. I got to the Kayran and quit. I dunno why honestly, just wasn't really feeling it I guess.

Send pics! (of the PC, not Kat :p )

Kat will literally murder me if I start taking apart her PC to take pictures of its insides:oops:. Much easier to just take a picture of Kat instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Parthu
That's skipping through some cutscenes after two playthroughs on GOG and doing both expansions in a single run. It's hard on Death March, but I find a bomb heavy build (Bomber of Blaviken?) is best once you move into Blood and Wine for crowd control and whittling down high level enemies. Dancing Star is life. Literally. And it seems Igni does critical DOT to enemies already on fire from a Dancing Star bomb! I love the The Witcher 3, enough to have started it for a fourth time:). 100% on my first run on Steam wasn't too bad given I'd played it before and 75 hours is reasonable if you skip every other cutscene. Half that time was probably spent playing Gwent anyway:LOL:.

I definitely sympathize with this. My first run was 150 hours. It's a gorgeous game. 75 hours before Novigrad though?!? Did you do every other questline first? Crones and Bloody Baron? Skellige too? I take Kera's quest right after hitting Velen to get the lamp, then head off into the swamp and do the Baron's work and sometimes for a while, but then move onto Oxenfort and Novigrad ASAP and finish the Baron's questline (I don't like his story honestly) before moving onto Skellige and even that doesn't take 75 hours with all the cutscenes, quests and collectibles (that includes the patience it takes to drop some of the Elementals and Golems guarding Witcher Gear or other loot that are level 20+).

Geralt needs the cardio though, so I run everywhere and get impatient when forced to walk:mad:.

I'm doing EVERY LITTLE THING. All the side quests, all the witcher gear hunting, all the random question marks on the map, and I'm on a mission to collect all the Gwent cards. And I really do take my time playing Gwent and admiring each new card I acquire.

Every book & letter I find in the game I read fully, every cutscene I watch, every NPC who has something to say, I let them say it in full before making a move even though I know exactly what they're going to say. It's truly fortunate I was blessed with the patience for it all. :cool:

I've finished both the Keira storyline and the Bloody Baron line, met the crones and everything. Haven't touched Skellige. I go along the traditional path: Velen > Novigrad > Skellige.

For completing the base game, I'm easily looking at 200+ hours. Add in Hearts of Stone & Blood and Wine, 300 hours.

If you like Gwent, do check out the standalone game on GOG, there's also the new Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales on Steam, which is basically a Gwent game with its own RPG story. Haven't played it, but to someone who likes Gwent, it looks interesting. I'll pick it up once the price drops probably during Christmas sale.

2 I never finished. I got to the Kayran and quit. I dunno why honestly, just wasn't really feeling it I guess.

I have a friend who quit W2 at that exact spot. :LOL: Although in his case it was because he didn't acquire a silver sword and was left to fight the Kayran with a steel sword, he didn't have the patience to go back and do the right thing so he quit.

But I must say, if you ever get around to it, 2 is a great game that deserves to be completed. I have about 140 hours over 3 playthroughs, all on Steam. Each time I played 3, I had played 2 just before it. The first time, I actually bought 3 because I liked 2 so much.

Reactions: Valkyrja
Just finished up RE7 for the first time last night. Short but sweet(y).

Never. I'm honestly not a fan of multiplayer games and even less so when the other persons are people I don't know. Shooters never really appealed to me either. I like RPGs, strategy, stealth and horror genres. so sometimes I'll play Endless Legend, Endless Space or Civ 6 with friends or my girlfriend, but not with others unless they come over for the holidays or a party.

No, never read the books. I don't like reading:whistle: since I spend much of my day compiling code. It's too much for my brain. I've watched several episodes of the show though. The perks of being fluent in Polish.

Now The Witcher 1 and 2 I've played. Hated 1. The story is great, but like you, and coming from 3, everything just didn't work. If I played it first I'd have loved it, and I love oldschool RPGs even with their clunky UIs (I'm looking at you System Shock 2 and Deus Ex), controls and whatnot. 2 I never finished. I got to the Kayran and quit. I dunno why honestly, just wasn't really feeling it I guess.

Kat will literally murder me if I start taking apart her PC to take pictures of its insides:oops:. Much easier to just take a picture of Kat instead.

am I just dumb or did I assume you were a woman because a pic you said was yours was a girl's? :confused: . Anyway I also like strategy games but Cities skyline is too expensive for me (everything becomes 'too expensive' after you have bought a house).

Hey now:mad:! I'm married, have a toddler running around my house and work and travel frequently and even I can find a few hundred hours every year to dump into The Witcher 3 or Civ 6. And that's on top of Mario Cart of Mario Party on the Switch with friends and family. It's fun to game with your significant other if they're interested in it.

@Parthu @Bharath @randomradio

All this has gotten me thinking of getting into gaming. Did a bit of research today. Thinking of gifting myself a PC for the new year. Am anyways, adding couple of monitors, to the current setup. Currently have two 22 inch screens, besides the laptop. So thinking will add a Mi 55 inch UHD and a 19 inch screen vertically.

The system will be used for my work and for gaming. Still debating between a laptop and PC. Also, staying in Bangalore there are power cuts on and off. The PC should not drain out my inverter/ups. Have a 150 battery or something.

Any advice is appreciated. Thinking of the below config, but, will need some help from you chaps for tweaking the components.

Processor - i9-9900k/9700k
RAM - 32/64gb. Now please advice on speed. Am slightly outdated on the new RAM speed specs.
MBB - No idea what to pick up.
HDD - 512 GB SSD
Secondary HDD - 1 TB SSD (I am assuming an SSD will result in less heat?)
Graphics card - 2080 Ti (Ya planning on splurging). Which company/model should I buy? Not interested in SLI.
Chassis - No idea
Cooling - No idea

Monitor - I will be adding a 55 inch Mi, because its the best bang for the buck for my work related stuff. For gaming, what monitor should I use? I can junk one of my current monitors and buy one.

I normally use a system for a minimum of 3 years. It needs to be able to handle 4 screens, besides the primary screen. Best is if the above is available in a laptop. Am ok with the 1 TB SSD becoming a 1 TB SATA.

Any recommendations, with costs? Objective : No upgrade for any game or software for 3 years.

@Parthu @Bharath @randomradio

All this has gotten me thinking of getting into gaming. Did a bit of research today. Thinking of gifting myself a PC for the new year. Am anyways, adding couple of monitors, to the current setup. Currently have two 22 inch screens, besides the laptop. So thinking will add a Mi 55 inch UHD and a 19 inch screen vertically.

The system will be used for my work and for gaming. Still debating between a laptop and PC. Also, staying in Bangalore there are power cuts on and off. The PC should not drain out my inverter/ups. Have a 150 battery or something.

Any advice is appreciated. Thinking of the below config, but, will need some help from you chaps for tweaking the components.

RAM - 32/64gb. Now please advice on speed. Am slightly outdated on the new RAM speed specs.
HDD - 512 GB SSD
Graphics card - 2080 Ti (Ya planning on splurging). Which company/model should I buy? Not interested in SLI.
Chassis - No idea
Cooling - No idea

Monitor - I will be adding a 55 inch Mi, because its the best bang for the buck for my work related stuff. For gaming, what monitor should I use? I can junk one of my current monitors and buy one.

I normally use a system for a minimum of 3 years. It needs to be able to handle 4 screens, besides the primary screen. Best is if the above is available in a laptop. Am ok with the 1 TB SSD becoming a 1 TB SATA.

Any recommendations, with costs? Objective : No upgrade for any game or software for 3 years.
looks like you are building a machine to either mine bitcoins or a mini mainframe. with that kind of suite I would love to use it on CAD and ANSYS software that does finite element analysis.

what games are you planning to get into - most games would be running with high specs on the rig you are building anyways - might even be overkill for some online games because of the Internet connectivity speeds.

looks like you are building a machine to either mine bitcoins or a mini mainframe. with that kind of suite I would love to use it on CAD and ANSYS software that does finite element analysis.

what games are you planning to get into - most games would be running with high specs on the rig you are building anyways - might even be overkill for some online games because of the Internet connectivity speeds.

Don't play online. Mainly Civ, Warcraft, CnC, Red Alert series, Racing. The rig should be able to handle VR when it comes or any other game which comes out for the next 3 years or so. I cannot upgrade, once my machine is up and running, its something to do with my work software. Once installed, the hardware should not be touched. I cannot risk it.

I have no idea what this is. But you are welcome to use it for 3-4 hrs a day. When I am sleeping. Remotely.

Don't play online. Mainly Civ, Warcraft, CnC, Red Alert series, Racing. The rig should be able to handle VR when it comes or any other game which comes out for the next 3 years or so. I cannot upgrade, once my machine is up and running, its something to do with my work software. Once installed, the hardware should not be touched. I cannot risk it.

The planned specs you have put up are beyond overkill for the games you seem to be interested in playing. If you are big on productivity (rendering, editing, workstation stuff) and less interested in games, I'd actually suggest you go the AMD Threadripper way. But if you want to stick with Intel and have no problem doling out cash, then you can't go wrong with i9-9900K. I'd suggest you pick up a high-end Z390 motherboard for it though, like MSI's MEG GODLIKE or Asus MAXIMUS XI.

For this processor I would suggest a strong 240mm liquid cooler like NZXT Kraken X62 (or the 360mm X72 if you want better cooling).

32GB DDR4 should be more than enough, but again if you feel like spending, nothing wrong in taking 64GB, again you'll see some results in productivity-related workloads, for gaming, even 16GB is enough. Take 32 if you don't even want to open it ever in next 3 years. As of RAM speed & timings, again you'll only see results in productivity, there will be little to no change in gaming regardless of you taking 2400mhz or 4133mhz. For the money you seem ready to spend, something around 3200mhz might be a fair sweet spot.

There isn't any worthwhile change in heat between HDDs and SSDs. The difference is in read & write speeds. For your boot drive I would suggest going for an M.2 NVMe SSD like Samsung 970 Pro. Go with 240GB as minimum amount of storage, how high you go above that (or if you would like to put a relatively small (~240gb) M.2 SSD as the boot drive and a bigger 1TB SATA SSD for storage of files) is purely dependent on how much you're willing to spend. In terms of speed, M.2 NVMe are king, followed by SATA SSDs, followed by SATA HDDs (slowest).

Any 2080Ti will do, although I'd suggest steering clear of the Founders Edition (there have been issues with earlier batch FE cards dying lately). The MSI Gaming X Trio or the Gigabyte AORUS Extreme are some great higher-end 2080Tis out there.

As for the case, any higher-end Coolermaster, Fractal Design or Corsair case would be great. Look up CM's H500P/M (with front mesh), Cosmos C700P or Fractal Design Define R6.

A 55" Mi? You mean you'll be using a smart TV? What's the resolution? I suppose its a 4K TV? I'm still to get an idea of what kind of work you'll be doing, because if you're into photo/video editing, then smaller 27" monitors (monitors, not TVs) with high-end color accuracy would be the sweet spot. But anyway, to each his own and if you prefer working on the much larger screen, go ahead.

For gaming, best to buy a 27" or thereabouts 4K monitor with response times under 5ms. But if you're not into heavy online competitive games, then the utility of a superfast response time gaming monitor is lost, I'd actually suggest you to see if you like gaming on the Mi 55" screen itself. For offline/casual games, a smart TV is just fine.

I think you can connect 4 displays to a card like MSI 2080Ti Gaming X Trio. Although if you're planning on playing 4K games on one monitor and encoding 4K video on another at the same time, well....

I wouldn't suggest a laptop for any of this unless you value mobility above everything else. A desktop is infinitely better with respect to performance, cooling, upgradability & maintainability.

Price? Expect to splurge out around 3-4 lacs. It's gonna take a long time to calculate the prices for all the parts (as I'll have to compare from multiple sources like Amazon, Prime ABGB and MD Computers, not to mention your local vendors which often have the best prices) but with a build like this with i9-9900Ks and 2080Tis being talked about, you'd have to expect to keep your purse strings loose.

Something to get you started: System Builder - PCPartPicker India Choose your parts and see where you get.

EDIT:

P.S. I would suggest you make sure that whatever smart TV you plan to buy supports 4K at 60hz minimum. and if it has HDMI 2.0 connectors or DisplayPort 1.2 connectors. If the TV does not have DisplayPort or has only HDMI 1.4 connectors, then you will not be able to drive 4K at 60hz because you might need 2 x HDMI cables for it and most 2080Tis have only a single HDMI connector.

Another P.S. There can be no getting around it - just buy a good UPS with minimum ~1200 to 1500va rating (also check wattage). APC is a good brand. I use a 1100va (660-watt) UPS of their's myself (replaced my older 1000va 500-watt Intex model with it recently, as after 3.5 years of usage, the battery had gotten pretty darn weak).

Speaking of power, for the system you're looking to build, I'd suggest a 850W Fully-modular PSU with minimum 80+ Gold certified efficiency. Wattage-wise, even 700-750W should be sufficient, but if you want that extra headroom in case you decide to upgrade something in future, like SLI GPUs.

Last edited:
The planned specs you have put up are beyond overkill for the games you seem to be interested in playing. If you are big on productivity (rendering, editing, workstation stuff) and less interested in games, I'd actually suggest you go the AMD Threadripper way. But if you want to stick with Intel and have no problem doling out cash, then you can't go wrong with i9-9900K. I'd suggest you pick up a high-end Z390 motherboard for it though, like MSI's MEG GODLIKE or Asus MAXIMUS XI.

For this processor I would suggest a strong 240mm liquid cooler like NZXT Kraken X62 (or the 360mm X72 if you want better cooling).

32GB DDR4 should be more than enough, but again if you feel like spending, nothing wrong in taking 64GB, again you'll see some results in productivity-related workloads, for gaming, even 16GB is enough. Take 32 if you don't even want to open it ever in next 3 years. As of RAM speed & timings, again you'll only see results in productivity, there will be little to no change in gaming regardless of you taking 2400mhz or 4133mhz. For the money you seem ready to spend, something around 3200mhz might be a fair sweet spot.

There isn't any worthwhile change in heat between HDDs and SSDs. The difference is in read & write speeds. For your boot drive I would suggest going for an M.2 NVMe SSD like Samsung 970 Pro. Go with 240GB as minimum amount of storage, how high you go above that (or if you would like to put a relatively small (~240gb) M.2 SSD as the boot drive and a bigger 1TB SATA SSD for storage of files) is purely dependent on how much you're willing to spend. In terms of speed, M.2 NVMe are king, followed by SATA SSDs, followed by SATA HDDs (slowest).

Any 2080Ti will do, although I'd suggest steering clear of the Founders Edition (there have been issues with earlier batch FE cards dying lately). The MSI Gaming X Trio or the Gigabyte AORUS Extreme are some great higher-end 2080Tis out there.

As for the case, any higher-end Coolermaster, Fractal Design or Corsair case would be great. Look up CM's H500P/M (with front mesh), Cosmos C700P or Fractal Design Define R6.

A 55" Mi? You mean you'll be using a smart TV? What's the resolution? I suppose its a 4K TV? I'm still to get an idea of what kind of work you'll be doing, because if you're into photo/video editing, then smaller 27" monitors (monitors, not TVs) with high-end color accuracy would be the sweet spot. But anyway, to each his own and if you prefer working on the much larger screen, go ahead.

For gaming, best to buy a 27" or thereabouts 4K monitor with response times under 5ms. But if you're not into heavy online competitive games, then the utility of a superfast response time gaming monitor is lost, I'd actually suggest you to see if you like gaming on the Mi 55" screen itself. For offline/casual games, a smart TV is just fine.

I think you can connect 4 displays to a card like MSI 2080Ti Gaming X Trio. Although if you're planning on playing 4K games on one monitor and encoding 4K video on another at the same time, well....

I wouldn't suggest a laptop for any of this unless you value mobility above everything else. A desktop is infinitely better with respect to performance, cooling, upgradability & maintainability.

Price? Expect to splurge out around 3-4 lacs. It's gonna take a long time to calculate the prices for all the parts (as I'll have to compare from multiple sources like Amazon, Prime ABGB and MD Computers, not to mention your local vendors which often have the best prices) but with a build like this with i9-9900Ks and 2080Tis being talked about, you'd have to expect to keep your purse strings loose.

Something to get you started: System Builder - PCPartPicker India Choose your parts and see where you get.

EDIT:

P.S. I would suggest you make sure that whatever smart TV you plan to buy supports 4K at 60hz minimum. and if it has HDMI 2.0 connectors or DisplayPort 1.2 connectors. If the TV does not have DisplayPort or has only HDMI 1.4 connectors, then you will not be able to drive 4K at 60hz because you might need 2 x HDMI cables for it and most 2080Tis have only a single HDMI connector.

What is the kind of power backup I would need to run this for 7 hours, in case of a power outage?

What is the kind of power backup I would need to run this for 7 hours, in case of a power outage?

This -

DG6500%20Front-306-653-680.jpg

Kidding aside, most consumer grade UPS systems for desktops are designed so as to allow you to safely shut down your PC without losing any of your work. Obviously, the higher the va and wattage ratings, the longer it will last, although each case depends on how many watts the PC is actually drawing, which depends on what kind of workload it's running. Don't expect to play games or get rendering type work done on a UPS-powered system for more than an hour or so on the best models.

If you wish to get work done with power outages lasting several hours, then laptop it is for you, preferably one with a very good battery (although even that depends on what kind of work you're doing and for how long). However everything is relative, a laptop will never get you the kind of performance a desktop can, even if you get a model with the mobile editions of the same processor & GPU.

Don't play online. Mainly Civ, Warcraft, CnC, Red Alert series, Racing. The rig should be able to handle VR when it comes or any other game which comes out for the next 3 years or so.
the rig you are proposing can probably handle all those games running together and then some more. Not required.

And VR too - unless you are doing some real heavy visuals, VR can be done on a much lower spec rig. For software development: you are ok with an i3 and 8GB RAM so that shouldnt affect your work (I do dev work too).

This -

DG6500%20Front-306-653-680.jpg

Kidding aside, most consumer grade UPS systems for desktops are designed so as to allow you to safely shut down your PC without losing any of your work. Obviously, the higher the va and wattage ratings, the longer it will last, although each case depends on how many watts the PC is actually drawing, which depends on what kind of workload it's running. Don't expect to play games or get rendering type work done on a UPS-powered system for more than an hour or so on the best models.

If you wish to get work done with power outages lasting several hours, then laptop it is for you, preferably one with a very good battery (although even that depends on what kind of work you're doing and for how long). However everything is relative, a laptop will never get you the kind of performance a desktop can, even if you get a model with the mobile editions of the same processor & GPU.

I am a trader. Equity and commodities. Which is why, once my system goes up, no upgrades till I need to shut it down for good or a serious hardware failure. The more complex the algo, the quicker the system needs to respond and process. Gaming is only during free time. But, when I do game, I want it to be good. No breaks, no stutter. No drop in fps or drop in settings. I worked out the costs from the website you mentioned + checking a few sites. Works out to between 3.5 to 4.

I will need the system to run for 7 hours from 915 to 330. This may increase to 530. Without fail, come what may. I currently have a Luminous ecoVolt 1050 inverter (756 watts) connected to a 150 aH battery. I don't mind adding couple of more batteries, if that will solve the problem?

the rig you are proposing can probably handle all those games running together and then some more. Not required.

And VR too - unless you are doing some real heavy visuals, VR can be done on a much lower spec rig. For software development: you are ok with an i3 and 8GB RAM so that shouldnt affect your work (I do dev work too).

Not a developer, buddy. Not opened a developed environment in like 15 years, now.

I am a trader. Equity and commodities. Which is why, once my system goes up, no upgrades till I need to shut it down for good or a serious hardware failure. The more complex the algo, the quicker the system needs to respond and process. Gaming is only during free time. But, when I do game, I want it to be good. No breaks, no stutter. No drop in fps or drop in settings. I worked out the costs from the website you mentioned + checking a few sites. Works out to between 3.5 to 4.

I will need the system to run for 7 hours from 915 to 330. This may increase to 530. Without fail, come what may. I currently have a Luminous ecoVolt 1050 inverter (756 watts) connected to a 150 aH battery. I don't mind adding couple of more batteries, if that will solve the problem?

Ah, then you simply don't have any need for a high end workstation level PC. For your needs (even for gaming), a laptop should be sufficient. As I said for the games you mentioned, a system of the spec you suggested is an absolute overkill.

I'll suggest you some laptop models with a good GPU tomorrow, going to sleep now it's past 2 am. You might want to do some research in the meantime yourself if you want.

am I just dumb or did I assume you were a woman because a pic you said was yours was a girl's?

I am a woman. I'm also married to one:p.

HDD - 512 GB SSD
Chassis - No idea
Cooling - No idea

Cooling is easy. Just put in a few case fans, three is sufficient and a CPU cooler. Nothing fancy is needed generally and most high-end or gaming cases come with in-build fans. My Fractal R5 has three built in and great airflow regulation and I added a Noctua CPU cooler on top of that. I heartily recommend checking out Fractal Design if you're building a desktop, though as @Parthu noted you probably don't need one for trading.

Define R5 Black

Above 32gb RAM anything additional is going to offer negligible benefits at best. Really you don't need 64 gigs of RAM. My work computer has 256gbs, and even that doesn't get close to being maxed out and I'm running a multitude of advanced military simulations and design software, usually simultaneously. If you're looking for speed for trading applications then CPU or GPU are better alternatives to poor money into. RAM ensures you can run applications, not always run them faster though. And again, anything above 32gb offers negligible benefits unless you're planning to run an entire suite of processes at once.

Your processor wont need an upgrade for a while that's for sure. Me jealous:oops:.

SSD's do run cooler, yes, and overall they're a better, but more expensive versus HDDs. Highly recommended for gaming due to their transfer rates, and good in general for booting an OS.

No SLI? Blashemy.

blasphemy.jpg

I'm joking of course, that's a boss GPU. But two is better:p.

And remember the golden rule of PSUs. 200 watts of overhead minimum. More is better. Calculate the required minimum of power and get a PSU that's rated for 200 watts above that. For my desktop I use an 850 watt PSU.

@Parthu has some good advice though. For your needs that setup isn't really necessary. That's a hardcore gaming rig, or for development/simulation nerd. For a trader though? It's excessive. A nice laptop offers both strength and mobility, at the expense of future proofing as upgrades aren't often an option due to OPM designs.

Civilian PC architecture isn't my strong suit unfortunately and I don't have the liberty to talk defence computing in depth with you guys. I'll try to goad Kat into joining us here, she's a super computer geek and hardcore gamer. PC parts are more her thing.

Reactions: Parthu and Milspec
Damn, All of you here have some really fancy rigs (wish I had one too, but I doubt i need one). I just have a old desktop hooked up to some recording instruments.

Reactions: Parthu

Cooling is easy. Just put in a few case fans, three is sufficient and a CPU cooler. Nothing fancy is needed generally and most high-end or gaming cases come with in-build fans. My Fractal R5 has three built in and great airflow regulation and I added a Noctua CPU cooler on top of that. I heartily recommend checking out Fractal Design if you're building a desktop, though as @Parthu noted you probably don't need one for trading.

Define R5 Black

Above 32gb RAM anything additional is going to offer negligible benefits at best. Really you don't need 64 gigs of RAM. My work computer has 256gbs, and even that doesn't get close to being maxed out and I'm running a multitude of advanced military simulations and design software, usually simultaneously. If you're looking for speed for trading applications then CPU or GPU are better alternatives to poor money into. RAM ensures you can run applications, not always run them faster though. And again, anything above 32gb offers negligible benefits unless you're planning to run an entire suite of processes at once.

Your processor wont need an upgrade for a while that's for sure. Me jealous:oops:.

SSD's do run cooler, yes, and overall they're a better, but more expensive versus HDDs. Highly recommended for gaming due to their transfer rates, and good in general for booting an OS.

No SLI? Blashemy.

blasphemy.jpg

And remember the golden rule of PSUs. 200 watts of overhead minimum. More is better. Calculate the required minimum of power and get a PSU that's rated for 200 watts above that. For my desktop I use an 850 watt PSU.

@Parthu has some good advice though. For your needs that setup isn't really necessary. That's a hardcore gaming rig, or for development/simulation nerd. For a trader though? It's excessive. A nice laptop offers both strength and mobility, at the expense of future proofing as upgrades aren't often an option due to OPM designs.

Civilian PC architecture isn't my strong suit unfortunately and I don't have the liberty to talk defence computing in depth with you guys. I'll try to goad Kat into joining us here, she's a super computer geek and hardcore gamer. PC parts are more her thing.

You seem to be a very interesting person. Woman married to woman and military simulations. So you are both a computer expert and also a military expert with some fancy life story. Just noting my amazement.

Anyone have a good horror game recommendation? I just got through RE7 and it definitely was creepy early on, but really died off towards the end. Great game for the first 66%. Great atmosphere.

I've played the Stalker series (SoC is the best) and FEAR games. Again, excellent atmosphere and gun play, but not too scary either. Amnesia Dark Descent was nice until you realize the number of enemies or dangers in the game is minimal at best. Dead Space, System Shock 2, Bioshock, Alien: Isolation, Silent Hill, The Evil Within, nothing doing for me. All great games. Tense and creepy. But scary? Wasn't feeling it.

Someone suggest to me a good horror game. Something that'll keep me up at night.

Side note: Anyone else really looking forward to the Resident Evil 2 Remake? I can't wait.

just have a old desktop hooked up to some recording instruments.

Got any demos? What type of music?

Last edited by a moderator:

Define R5 Black

No SLI? Blashemy.

blasphemy.jpg

In your simulations is there anything about India? What simulation software do you use?