Indian Army Artillery Systems : News and Updates

If requirment is 300, why dont mod placing order for 300 instead of 100?
Requirement is much higher.

We were earlier looking for 150 units for the plains and deserts right? 150 units of tracked SPH. Then there's the requirement of 180 wheeled SPH which supposedly got merged into the tracked SPH needs.

And then the new requirement of 200 units for high altitude cold weather.

Requirement is much higher.

We were earlier looking for 150 units for the plains and deserts right? 150 units of tracked SPH. Then there's the requirement of 180 wheeled SPH which supposedly got merged into the tracked SPH needs.

And then the new requirement of 200 units for high altitude cold weather.
My query is why we arent ordering 300 at once or what ever requirment is. Every time w place order, we need to issue new RFI & which results associated delay.

My query is why we arent ordering 300 at once or what ever requirment is. Every time w place order, we need to issue new RFI & which results associated delay.
Concerns are valid.

My concern is, if we have a requirement this big, why aren't we looking to revive the Bhim? Even if it's only 80% as good as K9, it will be under our control.

See as of today we are giving money to localise some LRUs of Cheetah helicopters. Not 20 years back, but today. LRUs for Kiran's. So that we may save a few crores and hopefully imbibe a culture of r&d.

If we are putting money on those things, I think we should put money on our own SPH.

• Agree
Reactions: Hellfire

Because we have a system that believes strongly in a penny wise pound foolish approach. And is backed by a political entity that seems to be deriving the wrong lessons from Ukraine - Russia war in the short term - that we can hedge against any potential conflict with China by relying on an assumption that it will find us automatically support from US led NATO.

While that is more or less likely, the costs will high ......

Under some new rule passed few years ago, the military can directly buy armaments from open market under emergency procurement ( without approval of dod) without bidding and the tender process if its a follow on order that already went through the process.

Second condition the new emergency order should be smaller ( a spares support order or just to maintain the numbers) compared to the initial order.

In other words if initially 100 guns weee ordered through bidding process. Army can order small batches or 70-80 guns again and again without any red tapes and buracratic hurdles.

Good news, we can see different trials last for certain period without which it would not be certified for induction. So the delays are part explainable.
About the foreign systems like M777, they also go through some trials but given they already have major certification which are accepted by army/MoD, the process is shorter.

In other words if initially 100 guns weee ordered through bidding process. Army can order small batches or 70-80 guns again and again without any red tapes and buracratic hurdles.
Right but what if they suddenly require certain other things under emergency procurement ?

He mentions in addition to ATAGS , Dhanush and Sharang, the Army has reached out to Local industry for a " Towed 155" gun.

I believe this can be Bharat 52. ATAGS at 18 tons and higher Procurement cost is overkill for lot of areas. Bharat 52 at 15 tons and cheaper cost will be a good solution.

Reactions: Aditya b7777
I think we would need more mobile artillery than towed ones. Any thing thats not on the move and with short range is going to be easy target for the enemy. Unless we are fighting an immobilized enemy or one with no air surveillance these will become sitting ducks.
Our bofors were hit by counter artillery fire back in 1999 and we expect that not to happen again in 2022. Its not the army but indian mindset thats fuvked.

Our bofors were hit by counter artillery fire back in 1999 and we expect that not to happen again in 2022. Its not the army but indian mindset thats fuvked.
Next time we fight a war we will discover more things, our military is stuck with old static mindset.

Reactions: Volcano
Next time we fight a war we will discover more things, our military is stuck with old static mindset.
Problems with military is its closed nature. In MNCs, there often a visit of outside consultancy agency to find out the lacuna or to find a scope of improvement. This thing is not possible now in indian military setups.

Reactions: Paro
Problems with military is its closed nature. In MNCs, there often a visit of outside consultancy agency to find out the lacuna or to find a scope of improvement. This thing is not possible now in indian military setups.
It's called CAG.