Rafale DH/EH of Indian Air Force : News and Discussions

Even clipping each other at 50 knots would see significant amount of damage, that's like two cars clipping each other at 180 Kmph and that's the slowest speed for the Rafale.

TVC would have saved them. :p
About the same force as applied by Rajnath Singh hitting Rafale with a coconut 😁

20220526_192908.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Bon Plan
good on paper, actual implementation not so good.
Rafale deal: India imposes penalty for delay in offsets duty
It is not Dassault that is penalised, it is MDBA, which is not even part of the export team that includes Dassault Thales and Safran. And we're talking about a multi-billion dollar contract and a million dollar penalty. When we negotiate we agree on the main principles and then when we apply them there are always details that get stuck. In my opinion, this is just an incident that the Indian media has made a big deal of, but it will be negotiated and no one will hear about it again.

not at this stage unless the indian mods have advanced it. f4 and new missiles may do it

The Indian mod comes with the addition of low band jammers, which is the band where surveillance radars operate. Currently, older Rafales can simply fly below horizon and take out the radar with Hammers. The addition of the jammer would allow the use of ARMs from higher altitudes at closer distances, like the Growler does.

F4 simply takes it to the next level with radar + EA combined into one single system, plus GaN. And across more bands, like MMW.

Currently, older Rafales can simply fly below horizon and take out the radar with Hammer.
I can tell you why it can't. Do you want to try to tell me why it can?
AEW&C. Tower radar with SAMs, with a layered distributed defense.
GPS Hammer has a 15km range low. Rafale also has to use its radar for ground following, so the RWR will also get a hit.
The Indian mod comes with the addition of low band jammers, which is the band where surveillance radars operate
The addition of the jammer would allow the use of ARMs from higher altitudes at closer distances, like the Growler does.

did India get an anti-radiation missile from Israel? I don't know that much about the jammer you got from Israel, but enough to know it's not a GROWLER.

Last edited:
I can tell you why it can't. Do you want to try to tell me why it can?

The Rafales have already done it since 2011.

AEW&C. Tower radar with SAMs, with a layered distributed defense.
GPS Hammer has a 15km range low. Rafale also has to use its radar for ground following, so the RWR will also get a hit.

None of those are really a problem.

As far as the IAF is concerned, with enough Rafales in service, dedicated aircraft like Growler will not be necessary, although we seem to have plans there too.

did India get an anti-radiation missile from Israel? I don't know that much about the jammer you got from Israel, but enough to know it's not a GROWLER.

We have our own. It doubles the range of the AGM-88E with more modern electronics.

This is apart from the KH-31P equipped on MKIs.

We have Russian jammers like SAP 518 (5-18GHz) and SAP 14 (1-4GHz) since the late 2000s. They pretty much do what the Growler does, although these fit on the standard Flanker airframe, not modified.

MKIEA.jpeg

MKIEW1.jpg

The second pic is a Russian prototype of the Indian MKI. Those are some really big jammers there.

We are replacing SAP 518, the wingtip jammers, with our own GaN based jammer. It's unclear what we have to replace SAP 14, but we have programs across the board. The latest news is the 12 MKIs we are placing an order for are dedicated EW aircraft based on more modern avionics.

Due to advances in wireless technologies, a lot of problems faced in the creation of Growler equivalents were solved. So a lot of countries are coming up with Growler equivalents.

Here's the Chinese Growler:
82034_51524881639_e73e3f0d14_3k_153604.png

The Russians have one based on the Su-34.

But the difference between what these aircraft do versus Rafale/F-35 etc is the latter can move in closer, so they don't need large podded jammers. Their internal suites alone are enough to do what the Growler does. They use a combination of stealth and/or low jamming power to get the job done. This is next gen SEAD/DEAD.