Indian Missiles and Munitions Discussion

So now can anyone clarify for me that if IAF and DRDO is conducting joint user validation trials of HELINA which is also witnessed by IA , where does Dhruvastra comes into the picture?

I previously had the understanding that Army will go for HELINA for its attack helicopters and IAF will go for Dhruvastra.

I think HELINA is the project name and Dhruvastra is the actual name. Like LCA and Tejas.

Reactions: Chain Smoker

So now can anyone clarify for me that if IAF and DRDO is conducting joint user validation trials of HELINA which is also witnessed by IA , where does Dhruvastra comes into the picture?

I previously had the understanding that Army will go for HELINA for its attack helicopters and IAF will go for Dhruvastra.
Yes, Dhruvastra is for IAF. its trials will come 😒

I think HELINA is the project name and Dhruvastra is the actual name. Like LCA and Tejas.
There are some differences in the exhaust vanes , some member posted a pic comparison somewhere here. Will tell the post number when I find it.
Yes, Dhruvastra is for IAF. its trials will come 😒
Inke nakhre kam hi nahi ho rahe. Kisi ko namak jyada lag raha kisi ko kam.

Too much complications for a not so complicated system.

There are some differences in the exhaust vanes , some member posted a pic comparison somewhere here. Will tell the post number when I find it.

Inke nakhre kam hi nahi ho rahe. Kisi ko namak jyada lag raha kisi ko kam.

Too much complications for a not so complicated system.

Couldn't find the post.

It seems jet vane control for TVC was induced instead of flexible nozzle in HELINA. This will maybe allow IAF attack helicopters to launch atgm while flying extremely low and target a tank which is in very close vicinity in top attack mode. (This is just my Guess)

Trials of Helicopter-launched Nag Missile (HELINA), now named Dhruvastra anti-tank guided missile in direct and top attack mode. The flight trials were conducted on 15&16 July at ITR Balasore (Odisha). This is done without helicopter.
View attachment 16891
View attachment 16892
Dhruvastra trials video.

Parallelly, an Air Force version Dhruvastra was also under development for which some trials had already been conducted. It would have an Air to Ground role other than anti-tank role, Dr. Sood added.

Dhruvastra trials video.

So basically Dhruvastra will be kind of Brimstone missile. Only difference being as brimstone has millimetres wave radar homing, so it has longer range. Multipurpose air to ground missile.

Reactions: Aditya b7777
All tests done for Nag were declared in 2019. Similar claims were made in a press release for Helina. But here we are doing endless tests without production orders.

As of now underwater tests are pending. Once that is thru production will commence.
Army alone will have now 100 Rudra , and for all of them the plan now is to go for 40 launchers and 500 Missiles.

AoN has not been achieved till now. It's really pathetic.

Local products showing results should be accelerated like HELINA, LUH , LCH , HTT40, etc .

Reactions: Sathya
Army alone will have now 100 Rudra , and for all of them the plan now is to go for 40 launchers and 500 Missiles.

AoN has not been achieved till now. It's really pathetic.

Local products showing results should be accelerated like HELINA, LUH , LCH , HTT40, etc .
I suspect a great deal has to do with the respective services budgets apart from the usual bureaucratic inertia .

I remember having this conversation with @Hellfire some time back .

IIRC it was centred on the LCH & the same procedural rigmarole involved . He detailed those steps & it took some 3-4 yrs , if I'm not mistaken , between issuance of AoN & a firm order for the initial lot .

• Haha
Reactions: Innominate