Indian Missile Transporter Erectors and Launchers (TEL)

I don't see an exhaust though. Or it could be tri-pack, with the 4th one being used as exhaust. There's definitely going to be a lot of exhaust gas.
I was thinking the space between the tubes can be used. Although using one tube for re-routing exhaust can be a good idea.

If you notice the top of the launch tubes, one of them looks different from the other 3.

I was thinking the space between the tubes can be used. Although using one tube for re-routing exhaust can be a good idea.

If you notice the top of the launch tubes, one of them looks different from the other 3.
Some thing like this.
images (49).jpeg

i think vls will come in different length according to package.

Reactions: Gautam
It seems a design study was conducted in 2017 for trying to fit a quad pack of smaller hot launched missiles into a naval cold launch set up.
View attachment 20948
The smaller hot launch missiles are the SAMs & the cold launch set up it like the Brahmos VLS or the upcoming UVLMs set up. The quad pack has a hot gas routing system at the bottom attached to it. In the pic above the gas can is shown in white colour. There are white coloured tubes rising up along side the launch cannisters. These tubes will re-route the hot gasses upwards when the missile is fires.

The tubes rising up seem quite thin. This type of quad packing will be restricted to smaller SAMs, so I guess there won't be a lot of gas to route up anyway. Also there are space & weight constraints so that might have played a role. You can also see coiled springs below the gas can. The springs are probably for damping the recoil force. The platform below the springs is a part of the cold launch set up. This is where all the launch tubes rests.

It is just a design study so there is no certainty of this being used. We might still end up with 2 separate launchers: a cold launch set up for AShMs/LACMs/heavy SAMs & a hot launch set up for tactical SAMs like Barak8/VL-SRSAM. I am not even sure if this is their own design or are they studying some foreign design.

But at least they are studying the possibility of quad packing tactical SAMs. So the probability of the DRDO's UVLMs being a truly universal VLS is high.
Why we don’t focus on cold launch system ? Is it that complex system to design a Cold Launch type launcher ?
I’m curious because I can see a lot of advantages in having Cold launch set up in space constrained areas like Naval ships , subs, Road mobile launchers and even in Airforce. I believe its safer and more friendly to the plateform too.

Yeah, that cap like thing is what made me assume that tube is meant for exhaust.

Anyway, the IN has made no mention of continuing the use of Barak 8 for future ships. So I am also assuming NGD and NGF will have new fangled UVLMs for everything. The same S band radar on Dhruv, resized to fit, could be used on new ships along with indigenous missile systems. Hence a possible quad pack option.

Reactions: Chain Smoker
Why we don’t focus on cold launch system ? Is it that complex system to design a Cold Launch type launcher ?
I’m curious because I can see a lot of advantages in having Cold launch set up in space constrained areas like Naval ships , subs, Road mobile launchers and even in Airforce. I believe its safer and more friendly to the plateform too.

Hot launch VLS are cheaper and simpler. Less possibilities of failure since there's no ejection mechanism. Plus the engagement time is much faster, which is important for SAMs, cold launch systems can lose as much as a second.

Accuracy and Time to Reload is more important

Damage assessment is done by UAVs or Satellites

Then it is fired again for completing the target destruction
MBRL/MRLS are area saturation weapons and not the precision strike weapon, so number does matter. Infact it matters a lot.
Imagine 40 Rockets of BM21 pounding an enemy position within seconds without giving them any chance to take defensive positions.
BTW BM30 has 12 and A100 has 10 rockets tubes per launcher. And looking at the launcher, there is a room to pack at least two additional tubes to make the tally 10.
That said I must say that the launcher seems pretty decent and perhaps focused on light weight for higher mobility and rapid reloading for sustained strike.
To its advantage the whole system is not as bulky as those of A100 and Smerch and is based on Tatra 6*6 chassis, which is pretty standard in IA and thus are less expensive to maintain.

Last edited:
MBRL/MRLS are area saturation weapons and not the precision strike weapon, so number does matter. Infact it matters a lot.
Imagine 40 Rockets of BM21 pounding an enemy position within seconds without giving them any chance to take defensive positions.
BTW BM30 has 12 and A100 has 10 rockets tubes per launcher. And looking at the launcher, there is a room to pack at least two additional tubes to make the tally 10.
That said I must say that the launcher seems pretty decent and perhaps focused on light weight for higher mobility and rapid reloading for sustained strike.
To its advantage the whole system is not as bulky as those of A100 and Smerch and is based on Tatra 6*6 chassis, which is pretty standard in IA and thus are less expensive to maintain.

Each Unguided Pinaka Rocket costs 25 Lakhs

If 8 have failed to do the job
Then 10 or 12 will make no difference

100 Kg warhead and 8 of them should be enough Provided it has fallen with a Minimum CEP -- Circular error Probability of 50 metres

Rocket production is Fixed at 5000 Rockets per year

Cannot waste them

Reactions: Chain Smoker