Indian Missile Transporter Erectors and Launchers (TEL)

randomradio

Nov 30, 2017
India
HTK with IIR seeker or RF seeker ? IIR seekers often need cooling for low altitude uses. That effects total weight. That uncooled IIR seeker seems to be coming along well. One of the spin offs from the Nag project.

Poentially need both, a dual-seeker set up is definitely going to be the future for such SAMs.

Also how much weight can be shaved off before the terminal phase ? Unlike the PDV Mk-2, an Astra based HTK won't do any stage separation.

It depends on the size of the warhead needed to push the threat away using just a proximity fuse. But the speed of such missiles is so high that we need nothing short of a direct hit to defeat it. Astra class missiles have a 15Kg warhead, so that's okay, as long as it still hits it. Barak 8 otoh has a 60Kg warhead, I suppose Akash NG will be the same. So replacing with HTK will do wonders. Of course, it will need a new airframe design that makes use of the weight reduction that comes with it. There's no point in just changing the warhead on the same missile. Who knows, we might end up seeing something like the Cuda in such a role.

Gautam

Team StratFront
Feb 16, 2019
Tripura, NE, India
Has the XRSAM been tested?
Not yet.
Poentially need both, a dual-seeker set up is definitely going to be the future for such SAMs.
We were studying a dual seeker set up. Wonder what's going on there.
It depends on the size of the warhead needed to push the threat away using just a proximity fuse. But the speed of such missiles is so high that we need nothing short of a direct hit to defeat it. Astra class missiles have a 15Kg warhead, so that's okay, as long as it still hits it. Barak 8 otoh has a 60Kg warhead, I suppose Akash NG will be the same. So replacing with HTK will do wonders. Of course, it will need a new airframe design that makes use of the weight reduction that comes with it. There's no point in just changing the warhead on the same missile. Who knows, we might end up seeing something like the Cuda in such a role.
Maybe use a smaller but more advanced warhead ? The BMD missiles use the directional charge warhead. That could be an option.

randomradio

Nov 30, 2017
India
We were studying a dual seeker set up. Wonder what's going on there.

Dunno about indigenous options, but Korea is offering it, with the K-SAAM.

Maybe use a smaller but more advanced warhead ? The BMD missiles use the directional charge warhead. That could be an option.

Sure. That would also do. But the fragments can still hit. I suppose we won't know the exact details though.

Gautam

Team StratFront
Feb 16, 2019
Tripura, NE, India
Dunno about indigenous options, but Korea is offering it, with the K-SAAM.
Yes. But we were also studying one. Not sure if we were going to make it though.
Sure. That would also do. But the fragments can still hit. I suppose we won't know the exact details though.
Apparently DRDO lacked confidence in a HTKs in the early years of the BMD program so they employed a warhead. As seekers, radars & DRDO's confidence improved they gradually shifted to lighter & lighter warheads.

But the missiles were designed for a certain weight of warhead. Completely removing the warhead requires a significant redesign. DRDO thought might as well make completely new missiles. That's how the AD-1 &AD-2 were conceived. Thais is what I picked up. Who knows we may see a similar change in tactical SAMs too.

SammyBoi

May 14, 2021
India
Tell me people, does China not have a BMD Shield in place? I find it hard to believe that the only countries having this highly strategic capability are the US, the Russians, the Israelis and of course... us(not being pessimistic). I remember reading some Chinese think-tank member say, "Can you believe it, India having this [BMD] and China not?"
@randomradio, @Gautam ?

randomradio

Nov 30, 2017
India
Apparently DRDO lacked confidence in a HTKs in the early years of the BMD program so they employed a warhead. As seekers, radars & DRDO's confidence improved they gradually shifted to lighter & lighter warheads.

But the missiles were designed for a certain weight of warhead. Completely removing the warhead requires a significant redesign. DRDO thought might as well make completely new missiles. That's how the AD-1 &AD-2 were conceived. Thais is what I picked up. Who knows we may see a similar change in tactical SAMs too.

AD-1 and 2 are enigmas. Let's see when testing actually begins.

Gautam

Team StratFront
Feb 16, 2019
Tripura, NE, India
Tell me people, does China not have a BMD Shield in place? I find it hard to believe that the only countries having this highly strategic capability are the US, the Russians, the Israelis and of course... us(not being pessimistic).
I don't keep track of Chinese missiles really. They have that SAM they sold to Pakistan didn't they. Also they have S400 so there is that.
I remember reading some Chinese think-tank member say, "Can you believe it, India having this [BMD] and China not?"
He was saying that they would also develop BMD.