It's impossible that it's dry varient weighs 1180 without after burner. If u go by these specs with TWR of 7.8 at 81 kn it should weight 1059 kg.
I think the technical information shared in the tweet as opposed to the attached photographs are with the AB in both weight & Wet thrust categories.

Reactions: Chain Smoker
The specs you are showing is for the base Kaveri engine. The engine shown above is a derivative of the base engine. They are very similar but not the same. The derivative seems to be a refined version of the dry Kaveri unveiled in Aero India 2013. For example the distortion tolerant fan & IGV should add some weight. There would be some weight discrepancies until the initial certification is completed.
Then weight increase makes sense bcz new fan looks heavier but seems like flutter issues on the old fan have been solved. Any idea about OPR or is it still same?

Older kaveri engine already uses IGV in HPC but seems like new one will use it in LPC too.

Any idea about OPR or is it still same?
It should increase. The previous value of OPR was pretty poor. Increasing OPR increases SFC too. And the SFC seems to have marginally increased.
Older kaveri engine already uses IGV in HPC but seems like new one will use it in LPC too.
The cooling channel design were supposed to be revised. No idea why.

Reactions: Chain Smoker
Just before I get involved in the day's activities & forget , there's a very good opportunity for us to exploit utilising the core ( be it the Kabini or M-88 ) by producing a high bypass turbofan for the various civilian aerospace projects we're planning . Further to this there's the marine & railway application to be explored too .

Last edited:
Reactions: Aditya b7777
It should increase. The previous value of OPR was pretty poor. Increasing OPR increases SFC too. And the SFC seems to have marginally increased.

The cooling channel design were supposed to be revised. No idea why.
It means redesigned HPC . Do u have any idea where the 1300 cr will be spent it is too much just for dry variant. Any way these all changes will require significant redesign.

Do u have any idea where the 1300 cr will be spent it is too much just for dry variant.
Tooling I think. The dry variant is meant to be manufactured in scale. That would require development of tooling and manufacturing processes.
Any way these all changes will require significant redesign.
I believe the fan is the most significant redesign. The rest should be manageable. I think the Ghatak will have some sort of low observable exhaust pipe. That might be significant as well.

Tooling I think. The dry variant is meant to be manufactured in scale. That would require development of tooling and manufacturing processes.

I believe the fan is the most significant redesign. The rest should be manageable. I think the Ghatak will have some sort of low observable exhaust pipe. That might be significant as well.
Yes ghatak will have 2D exhaust with fluidic thrust vectoring.

@Gautam did u noticed shrouded LPT . It is not present in baseline kaveri.
images (30).jpeg

So dry variant is a significant redesigned.

Reactions: Aditya b7777
Based on the recent developments and the single crystal blades manufactured by MIDHANI, as well as based on the system engineering DRDO did in building a 4.5+ gen LCA though it was evoulutionary in TD and took longer than expected ; building UTTAM AESA - almost there, what is the realistic expectation that a version for Kaveri would be ready when for use in LCA Mk 1/2 and/or AMCA?

Based on the recent developments and the single crystal blades manufactured by MIDHANI, as well as based on the system engineering DRDO did in building a 4.5+ gen LCA though it was evoulutionary in TD and took longer than expected ; building UTTAM AESA - almost there, what is the realistic expectation that a version for Kaveri would be ready when for use in LCA Mk 1/2 and/or AMCA?

The LCA bus is long gone for the Kaveri. The F404 and F414 are suitable for use for the entire service life of the jets. And the AMCA will get a hybrid Indo-UK/French engine that will be 5th gen, while others develop next gen engines for their own programs, like FCAS and Tempest. Maybe the jet after AMCA will get an Indian-designed engine.

We will use drones with Indian-designed engines though.

The LCA bus is long gone for the Kaveri. The F404 and F414 are suitable for use for the entire service life of the jets. And the AMCA will get a hybrid Indo-UK/French engine that will be 5th gen, while others develop next gen engines for their own programs, like FCAS and Tempest. Maybe the jet after AMCA will get an Indian-designed engine.

Single 404 for entire life cycle of LCA ?

That is not a very promising statement :( . Don't you think that by whatever means India needs to be in the league of building next-gen engines for war machines and for civilian use purpose.

Similar to the need for building the latest gen Silicon devices to manufacturing the end products.

I think this could happen in the next 10-15 years.