Indian Ballistic Missile Defence Programme - Updates and Discussions

A Paxtani perspective of our BMD .
That's a very.....amateurish article!! Its pretty evident by the boastful language, and the extremely poor understanding of Indian Missile Systems. Some fanboy wrote it after taking a look at wikipedia articles. I'm not an expert on indian strategic systems, and even then i can see the poor quality of research done.

Hilarious Example:
Another program known as the Akash system for missile defense and SAM role was developed but was rejected by the Indian armed services because of a high failure rate, excessive system malfunctions and falling short of the required velocity.

Literally Today:
India To Export Akash Missile With $5 Billion Defence Export As Target

1609346915994.png

1609346935633.png

1609346951650.png

That's a very.....amateurish article!! Its pretty evident by the boastful language, and the extremely poor understanding of Indian Missile Systems. Some fanboy wrote it after taking a look at wikipedia articles. I'm not an expert on indian strategic systems, and even then i can see the poor quality of research done.

Hilarious Example:

Literally Today:
India To Export Akash Missile With $5 Billion Defence Export As Target

View attachment 18937

View attachment 18938
View attachment 18939
When ever you read Pakistani sources, know for a fact however much they spice it up, you've to sit with a bagful of salt. It's always informative to see how much your enemy underestimates you trying to undermine your achievements more so when they've little to nothing to boast of in so far as indigenous development goes. He wrote a lot on Ababeel. All this after only 1 test conducted till date.

Hilarious Example:

There's a lot of hilarious stuff in the article.

Both these Indian BMD systems employ hit-to-kill interception would have less than 30 seconds (less than 18 in case of the Ashwin) to track and fire at tens of Pakistani decoys and warheads travelling at Mach 20+ speeds. - Simply lol.

any BMD system can be saturated - That requires money.

Pakistan could, for example, fire 300 ballistic missiles - They will be lucky to have a dozen.

that too if the Prithvi missiles were fuelled up beforehand - Simply lol. Both BMD missiles are solid-fuelled.

Pakistan can also use this same scenario in a massive counterforce strike and first neutralise Indian BMD and early warning sites and then continue with a countervalue strike. - Facepalm. And the S-400 was entirely skipped.

I remember sometime back I posted on how for the same mileage & capacity of the warhead at times inferior in both cases our BMs , pound for pound, were very bulky compared to similar class missiles in the inventory of any nation across the board including China.

I also recall that since precise & comprehensive information of this nature is classified I had to rely on Wiki for it which attracted a fair amount of flak, ridicule & attendant controversy. Well here's another infographic capturing pretty much the same details albeit this time of our BMD program.

Last edited:
i think vls will come in different length according to package.
Yep.
Why we don’t focus on cold launch system ? Is it that complex system to design a Cold Launch type launcher ?
A cold launch set up is generally more complex & elaborate than a hot launch set up. Cold launchers are preferable on heavy multistage missiles especially when the 1st stage is a solid fueled. Hot launchers are preferable when there is a need for high rate of fire.

Tactical SAMs need a high rate of fire for point defence roles.
I’m curious because I can see a lot of advantages in having Cold launch set up in space constrained areas like Naval ships , subs, Road mobile launchers and even in Airforce.
Both set ups have their advantages. For road mobile missiles remember you would also have to carry the additional weight of the gas cannisters for a cold launchers.
I believe its safer and more friendly to the plateform too.
Not always safer. Say a Brahmos missile is ejected from the launch tube & somehow the solid boosters fail to ignite. Then the 3 ton missile will fall right back on the ship that launched it. There will be serious material damage & possibly even fire damage.
Anyway, the IN has made no mention of continuing the use of Barak 8 for future ships.
True. But if Barak-8 is removed we would need the Akash-Ng to replace it. Barak-8 ER can be replaced by XR-SAM. XR-SAM is a derivative of the Akash-NG also the NG has AESA seekers as opposed to the PDR seekers of the Barak-8.
So I am also assuming NGD and NGF will have new fangled UVLMs for everything.
I hope so.
The same S band radar on Dhruv, resized to fit, could be used on new ships along with indigenous missile systems. Hence a possible quad pack option.
Radar of the INS Dhruv or INS Anvesh ? DO we what band the LR_MFR operates in ?

We have managed to indigenize the float part of ship building. The sensor & weapons part will be indigenized soon. The propulsion part will remain out of reach for at least a decade. We have marine diesel engines manufacturers in India (Kirloskar-SEMT, Cummins & MAN). Nuclear engines are also being made by BARC-L&T-BHEL. But gas turbines are either imported from Ukraine, US or UK.

HAL has signed some deals with GE & RR for maintenance spares and supplies. But that's about it. Even if we manage to get the KMGT working at best we will get around 15 MW. That will be good for Navy's smaller ships, the larger ones will continue to rely on imports.

Wonder if we should just ready the CLWR-B1 for surface vessel use. At 83 MWe it is more than twice as powerful as the RR MT30. Of course there are constraints of price & nuclear fuel.

True. But if Barak-8 is removed we would need the Akash-Ng to replace it. Barak-8 ER can be replaced by XR-SAM. XR-SAM is a derivative of the Akash-NG also the NG has AESA seekers as opposed to the PDR seekers of the Barak-8.

Akash NG won't be enough though. Unless there's no time to develop something new. 'Cause we need to be able to stop hypersonic missiles. Hopefully XRSAM will perform that role.

Radar of the INS Dhruv or INS Anvesh ? DO we what band the LR_MFR operates in ?

It's easy to guess even without any offical confirmation. MFR = Multifunction radar. And such radars are primarily in the S band (or even C band). L band sucks at targeting and X sucks at volume scan, hence S band sits in the middle, which has earned it that moniker. Also the reason why ships carry an S band radar for both surveillance and targeting. Anyway, I was referring to Anvesh, not Dhruv, I don't believe the Dhruv carries S band. The NGD/NGF will require an X band radar as well, similar in set up to the new American ABs, with the X band sitting on the crown.

We have managed to indigenize the float part of ship building. The sensor & weapons part will be indigenized soon. The propulsion part will remain out of reach for at least a decade. We have marine diesel engines manufacturers in India (Kirloskar-SEMT, Cummins & MAN). Nuclear engines are also being made by BARC-L&T-BHEL. But gas turbines are either imported from Ukraine, US or UK.

HAL has signed some deals with GE & RR for maintenance spares and supplies. But that's about it. Even if we manage to get the KMGT working at best we will get around 15 MW. That will be good for Navy's smaller ships, the larger ones will continue to rely on imports.

Wonder if we should just ready the CLWR-B1 for surface vessel use. At 83 MWe it is more than twice as powerful as the RR MT30. Of course there are constraints of price & nuclear fuel.

For one, we need to improve the refuelling cycle to 25 years (4th gen reactors) from 10 years (2nd gen). And we also need to introduce electricity in lieu of steam. Anyway, as per BARC, the sub nukes apparently cannot be used on surface ships because they are not marinized to the level required.

As for price, yeah, although there are immense savings in terms of fuel costs, we can't afford to pay higher upfront costs at this stage of our economy.

Akash NG won't be enough though. Unless there's no time to develop something new. 'Cause we need to be able to stop hypersonic missiles. Hopefully XRSAM will perform that role.
The NG's seeker can target TBMs which do go hypersonic in their terminal phase. Whether AD against TBMs translates to AD against hypersonic cruise missiles that remains to be seen. It seems the XRSAM is the Akash NG with a solid booster.
It's easy to guess even without any offical confirmation. MFR = Multifunction radar. And such radars are primarily in the S band (or even C band). L band sucks at targeting and X sucks at volume scan, hence S band sits in the middle, which has earned it that moniker. Also the reason why ships carry an S band radar for both surveillance and targeting.
Fair enough. It would also make sense to replace the S-band MF-STAR with a S-band LR-MFR. I hope the LR-MFR uses TSA type antennas with GaN transistors. That should allow it to out perform the MF-STAR.
Anyway, I was referring to Anvesh, not Dhruv, I don't believe the Dhruv carries S band
The primary radar is X-band. The secondary is S-band. Though I am not sure which one is the primary & secondary.
The NGD/NGF will require an X band radar as well, similar in set up to the new American ABs, with the X band sitting on the crown.
Do we have any X-band radars in development ? I can recall the IAF's Ashwini LLTR operates in the S-band. IA's ADTCR is touted to be a derivative of the Ashwini so that's probably in S-band too. IN's Revathi is also in the S-band. We have a lot of S-band radars.

QR-SAM's BMFR is a X-band AESA radar with 80 km range for a RCS of 2 sq. meters. That can be used I guess. What would be the use of the X-band ? FCR ? 80 km is good enough for most FCR applications. You can always make the AESA panels larger to get more range.

I love the flushed panels on the truck. :love:
1631729646174.png

For one, we need to improve the refuelling cycle to 25 years (4th gen reactors) from 10 years (2nd gen). And we also need to introduce electricity in lieu of steam.
Yep I was hoping they could make a IEP set up using that reactor.
Anyway, as per BARC, the sub nukes apparently cannot be used on surface ships because they are not marinized to the level required.
I have read the same. With surface ship the power demands are stringent as surface ships need to overcome weather elements & its effect on sea state. With subs weather is not a constant drag.
As for price, yeah, although there are immense savings in terms of fuel costs, we can't afford to pay higher upfront costs at this stage of our economy.
Yeah. I had this idea going in my head that we could power a 15,000 ton combat ship with the CLWR-B1. Even if project costs can be reduced by scaling manufacturing the up front cost would be enormous.

Reactions: Aditya b7777
The NG's seeker can target TBMs which do go hypersonic in their terminal phase. Whether AD against TBMs translates to AD against hypersonic cruise missiles that remains to be seen. It seems the XRSAM is the Akash NG with a solid booster.

Actually, it appears XRSAM is the Astra Mk2 with a booster. The original speculation was the SFDR version will be XRSAM, but obviously the timelines don't match. Perhaps Astra Mk3 will be the extended range version with 400Km range.

The mechanics for hitting a hypersonic sea skimmer is different from a TBM that falls in an inclination or vertical. The interception profile for a skimmer is very hard to achieve. If the XRSAM can do it, then we will need versions without the booster for this role.

Do we have any X-band radars in development ? I can recall the IAF's Ashwini LLTR operates in the S-band. IA's ADTCR is touted to be a derivative of the Ashwini so that's probably in S-band too. IN's Revathi is also in the S-band. We have a lot of S-band radars.

QR-SAM's BMFR is a X-band AESA radar with 80 km range for a RCS of 2 sq. meters. That can be used I guess. What would be the use of the X-band ? FCR ? 80 km is good enough for most FCR applications. You can always make the AESA panels larger to get more range.

I love the flushed panels on the truck. :love:
View attachment 20953

Yeah, I've only seen the small ones. Perhaps the one on Dhruv is our very first one.

Yep I was hoping they could make a IEP set up using that reactor.

I have read the same. With surface ship the power demands are stringent as surface ships need to overcome weather elements & its effect on sea state. With subs weather is not a constant drag.

Yeah. I had this idea going in my head that we could power a 15,000 ton combat ship with the CLWR-B1. Even if project costs can be reduced by scaling manufacturing the up front cost would be enormous.

Too far away in my books. I'll be happy if NGD is a 10k-ton ship with 90+ VLS using IEPS. What we need is numbers. Our current VLS capability for CMs by 2025 or so is 1/10th of PLAN's. Plus our logistics pacts with many countries gives us plenty of supply options all across the world. And we do not have a nuke carrier to actually make use of a nuke destroyer. Otoh, the Russians and Chinese need nuke destroyers, they don't have many friends after all.

Reactions: Aditya b7777
Actually, it appears XRSAM is the Astra Mk2 with a booster.
XR-SAM's upper-stage airframe looked identical to the Akash-NG. Although the Astra Mk-2's airframe is also similar.
The original speculation was the SFDR version will be XRSAM, but obviously the timelines don't match. Perhaps Astra Mk3 will be the extended range version with 400Km range.
A SFDR based SAM is being worked. Who knows when that will arrive.
The mechanics for hitting a hypersonic sea skimmer is different from a TBM that falls in an inclination or vertical. The interception profile for a skimmer is very hard to achieve. If the XRSAM can do it, then we will need versions without the booster for this role.
Yep. To intercept a sea-skimming hypersonic AShM the SAM will need to have active thrusters similar to the DACS on the PDV Mk-2. We will also need hot launch set up & jet vane control system. AESA seekers, 2 way data links etc.

Putting them all on one missile will make it pretty heavy though, especially the DACS. We can use the Shaurya to test interception of hypersonic missiles. The Shaurya can't do sea skimming though, but still can be useful for testing. The building blocks are there, a lot of work to do.
Yeah, I've only seen the small ones. Perhaps the one on Dhruv is our very first one.
The one of the Dhruv would be a bit too big to be superstructure mounted. Would need to be scaled down a bit.
No L band at all on either ship?

Then I suppose they will use a land-based one on the mainland or A&N.
The Dhruv probably has a L-ban. The fore deck has 2 radomes, one for the X-band the other for the L-band. Of course the mid deck has the massive S-band.

There is a C-band AESA under development. Probably for the Swathi Mk-2.

Reactions: Chain Smoker
XR-SAM's upper-stage airframe looked identical to the Akash-NG. Although the Astra Mk-2's airframe is also similar.

A SFDR based SAM is being worked. Who knows when that will arrive.

Astra will have much superior performance though, being lighter and smaller. With an initial high speed release, its 200+Km range at altitude can easily cross 250 or even 300Km.

Yep. To intercept a sea-skimming hypersonic AShM the SAM will need to have active thrusters similar to the DACS on the PDV Mk-2. We will also need hot launch set up & jet vane control system. AESA seekers, 2 way data links etc.

Putting them all on one missile will make it pretty heavy though, especially the DACS. We can use the Shaurya to test interception of hypersonic missiles. The Shaurya can't do sea skimming though, but still can be useful for testing. The building blocks are there, a lot of work to do.

Shaurya is unsuitable for this role. For a 500m interception, it will have to leave behind the booster and 1st stage our own deck. :p

The missile needs to be small and single stage, no different from Barak 8, Akash NG or even Astra.

DACS won't help inside the atmosphere, it's meant for use in space.

Astra will have much superior performance though, being lighter and smaller. With an initial high speed release, its 200+Km range at altitude can easily cross 250 or even 300Km.

Shaurya is unsuitable for this role. For a 500m interception, it will have to leave behind the booster and 1st stage our own deck. :p

The missile needs to be small and single stage, no different from Barak 8, Akash NG or even Astra.

Anti HGV missile with very high lateral acceleration is under development.

Won't the Navy need AWACS for early detection. Ship based sensors can only see so far.

I meant using the interceptor against the Shaurya. Not using the Shaurya as the interceptor.
The Brahmos uses thrusters to go from vertical to horizontal. That's what I meant.

Won't the Navy need AWACS for early detection. Ship based sensors can only see so far.

Definitely. Both AWACS and fighter jets. Even drones. We cannot effectively use long range SAMs without CEC.

I meant using the interceptor against the Shaurya. Not using the Shaurya as the interceptor.

My bad, was blind there.

The Brahmos uses thrusters to go from vertical to horizontal. That's what I meant.

Right, just one of the various types of TVC is enough though. We actually need something that's HTK and a small seeker, so there's not a lot of mass for attitude control, the hot launch itself will get the motor roaring from the start.

We actually need something that's HTK and a small seeker, so there's not a lot of mass for attitude control, the hot launch itself will get the motor roaring from the start.
HTK with IIR seeker or RF seeker ? IIR seekers often need cooling for low altitude uses. That effects total weight. That uncooled IIR seeker seems to be coming along well. One of the spin offs from the Nag project.

Also how much weight can be shaved off before the terminal phase ? Unlike the PDV Mk-2, an Astra based HTK won't do any stage separation.