Project 75 India Diesel-electric Submarine Programs (SSK) : Updates and Discussions

Who will win the P75I program?

• L&T and Navantia

Votes: 12 44.4%
  • MDL and TKMS

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • It will get canceled eventually

Votes: 10 37.0%

• Total voters
No one said any such thing. IN didn't even ask for VL as a must have. Even the French don't know what IN actually want without RFP. Give source for all these then we can talk.

more or less : "Naval Group shown smx 3.0 to win in India"

That I agree on, I made a mistake. Considering an optimistic timeline for desi SSN project, maybe 3 desi SSNs and 1 Akula will be what we may have. That is a big concern.

There was a news report out that the navy is considering leasing ships. So it's possible we may ask for more ships and subs on lease for 10 years from multiple sources to make up for any shortfalls.

But with 3 SSNs, we will at least have 1 at sea and 1 ready to move out. So that's a good thing anyway.

India should opt for the improved Kilo Class submarines as part of the Project 75I (without the vertically launched Brahmos) and order 3 more Scorpene Class submarines. DRDO should focus on building a replacement for Exocet missile, Klub missile and a Heavy weight Torpedo that can be fired from the Scorpene class submarines. Indigenous AIP should be fast tracked and installed on all the Scorpene class submarines.

It is only a old (but very potent) design, improved.
As India is low on Quantity, you need world class brand new design.
We need a potent platform and we need them quickly. We can still go for our own design aka Project 76I and build / deliver it in 10 years time. But with 3 Improved Kilo class and 3 additional Scorpene, we will be good for the next 10 years.

Indonesia having problems with their South Korean version of Type209 submarines. The problems are causing unavailability of the 3 newer submarines for patrolling/training duties.

Problems are two fold , firstly performance issues in warmer waters and secondly the built quality of imported South Korean Kits.

This has resulted in stalling of work on 3 more Type209 submarines for which Indonesia signed up.

PS: Hopefully IN takes into account the actual performance of the OEM in delivering systems. SSKs are way too important, and will be on the frontlines. Unlike tankers where certain compromises can be made.

Indonesia having problems with their South Korean version of Type209 submarines.
South Korea has not the back ground of the french, the german, the japanese... so it's not surprising.

The decision of Taiwan to study and built own SSK will be very interesting to follow.

South Korea has not the back ground of the french, the german, the japanese... so it's not surprising.

The decision of Taiwan to study and built own SSK will be very interesting to follow.
IMO Taiwan will eventually get a foreign OEM (either US/Japanese or French ) to help as atleast consultants. Not 100% of SSK can they design and build themselves. It's still early.

Germany should deliver the Type218SG soon to Singapore. That submarine was said to implement learnings from their advanced Type216 concept. Will be interesting to see exact specifications and initial performance reports.

IMO Taiwan will eventually get a foreign OEM (either US/Japanese or French ) to help as atleast consultants. Not 100% of SSK can they design and build themselves. It's still early.
It is a political decision to help Taiwan (and freeze relations with China). Only US has the balls to do so. But they are not studying SSK for decades...
Or a secret agreement, by sending some retired enginners of Naval Group.... for consulting....