The dmr's will be in 7.62x51. would be good if we buy the sr-25 or the lmt l129 both DI and exceptional reliable gun designs and training won't be much different to the sig 716 with interchangeable mags and ammunition. Sadly knights armament won't pitch there guns butt lmt has a JV with SSS defense so we could see them winning...
There is no tender for DMRs. Its for .338 sniper rifles, 5400 of them.
Dude you are talking to yourself. Are you high🤣
Dude, ignore that handle.

• Agree
Reactions: AbRaj
lmt has a JV with SSS defense so we could see them winning
No, they don't. SSS initially thought of partnering with LMT but that would bring in ITAR complications and SSS also wanted to keep the IP Indian. I believe they must've hired consultants from LMT or other western small arms firms similar to what Caracal did

SSS has a JV with Brazil's CBC to produce ammo in India

No, they don't. SSS initially thought of partnering with LMT but that would bring in ITAR complications and SSS also wanted to keep the IP Indian. I believe they must've hired consultants from LMT or other western small arms firms similar to what Caracal did

SSS has a JV with Brazil's CBC to produce ammo in India
They earlier had one but I don't know the who could be good contender of the DMR contest. Fn could offer there scar 20 or maybe the Russians could offer svch. Because iwi doesn't have a DMR in their portfolio for India. They could offer galatz but who knows. We don't have any companies in my knowledge making dmr's. Maybe rheinmetall could come up with one. Most euro companies are too tired with Indian procurement cycles...

There is no tender for DMRs. Its for .338 sniper rifles, 5400 of them.

Dude, ignore that handle.
They don't have a DMR tender right now but there is a requirement for 7.62x51 mm dmr's for around 7k rifles. The sniper tender is different and is partially fulfilled with Barrett and scorpio tgt. The DMR deal has not released a tender for now maybe they will do it in future since they need a good DMR. The SVD is pretty inaccurate for modern DMR standards so they need a new replacement. The Russians though are offering DMR in .338 in the svch.
Screenshot_20201020-031935__01.jpg

The new Kalashnikov factory could very well manufacture this if they can't get any design...

Reactions: Killbot
They don't have a DMR tender right now but there is a requirement for 7.62x51 mm dmr's for around 7k rifles. The sniper tender is different and is partially fulfilled with Barrett and scorpio tgt. The DMR deal has not released a tender for now maybe they will do it in future since they need a good DMR. The SVD is pretty inaccurate for modern DMR standards so they need a new replacement. The Russians though are offering DMR in .338 in the svch.
View attachment 18368

The new Kalashnikov factory could very well manufacture this if they can't get any design...
SVD is more accurate than most precision rifles. Optics are the only problem

SVD is more accurate than most precision rifles. Optics are the only problem
No they aren't. The gun is nowhere close to the precision given by modern dmr's or even dmr's in its era like the msg90 or PSG90. The scar 20,sr-25 and the lot are way more accurate.
The thing is SVD is similarly idiot proof like the akm...

They earlier had one but I don't know the who could be good contender of the DMR contest. Fn could offer there scar 20 or maybe the Russians could offer svch. Because iwi doesn't have a DMR in their portfolio for India. They could offer galatz but who knows. We don't have any companies in my knowledge making dmr's. Maybe rheinmetall could come up with one. Most euro companies are too tired with Indian procurement cycles...
There were reports of NSG & Para SF testing SSS's Viper (7.62x51) and Saber (.338 LM). Unofficial reports stated NSG was satisfied with their performance. If special forces go for em, there's a good chance IA might give it a shot and eliminate the need for importing and go through a shoddy botched up procurement process

There were reports of NSG & Para SF testing SSS's Viper (7.62x51) and Saber (.338 LM). Unofficial reports stated NSG was satisfied with their performance. If special forces go for em, there's a good chance IA might give it a shot and eliminate the need for importing and go through a shoddy botched up procurement process
But they are not dmr's they are sniper rifles. We need a semi auto gun. I guess the 716 could fit then no point in wasting time in any other solution...

But they are not dmr's they are sniper rifles. We need a semi auto gun. I guess the 716 could fit then no point in wasting time in any other solution...
I'm talking about Snipers since they currently have a requirement. Barrett M95 and Victrix Scorpio TGT were only procured in limited numbers and I heard they're being given to units on a need by basis. There's no active tender for DMRs' and 716 should fulfill the DMR job for now

I'm talking about Snipers since they currently have a requirement. Barrett M95 and Victrix Scorpio TGT were only procured in limited numbers and I heard they're being given to units on a need by basis. There's no active tender for DMRs' and 716 should fulfill the DMR job for now
Is the sniper deal make in India? Or are outside players allowed?

Last edited:
Thats right. Even vanilla Sig 716i with a good LPV optic can do the job out to 600m. IA can always ask Sig to develop/provide existing a 20" barrel upper reciever for DMR if they want ranges of up to 800-900m. Because 716 DMR version comes only in 6.5 Creedmoor.

Is the sniper deal make in India? Or are outside players allowed?
They plan to conduct contest and place orders before December. That is when import negative list is enforced. Same with NSG and ITBP. So I think its gonna be a global contest. Makes sense as SSSD is the only Indian form to have developed a .338 sniper rifle, discounting OFB, cause they don't stand a chance, even though it is just a bolt action gun. I dunno how good SSSD's gun is either, so there us a strong chance that order will be given to a foreign company..

They plan to conduct contest and place orders before December. That is when import negative list is enforced. Same with NSG and ITBP. So I think its gonna be a global contest. Makes sense as SSSD is the only Indian form to have developed a .338 sniper rifle, discounting OFB, cause they don't stand a chance, even though it is just a bolt action gun. I dunno how good SSSD's gun is either, so there us a strong chance that order will be given to a foreign company..
It depends on the players that respond to the RFI. But I feel either Beretta or Barrett might win the deal again considering they won the last deals too. Sako guns are more niche compared to them...
Thats right. Even vanilla Sig 716i with a good LPV optic can do the job out to 600m. IA can always ask Sig to develop/provide existing a 20" barrel upper reciever for DMR if they want ranges of up to 800-900m. Because 716 DMR version comes only in 6.5 Creedmoor.
Buying conversion kits won't be bad. But I don't think IA would seriously consider newer calibers even though it would be a great addition. Creedmore would be great in our environment..

It depends on the players that respond to the RFI. But I feel either Beretta or Barrett might win the deal again considering they won the last deals too. Sako guns are more niche compared to them...

Buying conversion kits won't be bad. But I don't think IA would seriously consider newer calibers even though it would be a great addition. Creedmore would be great in our environment..
I'm gonna favor Beretta Victrix, if they participate. Because, even if SSSD participates and makes the cut, does it have large scale production capabilities? Barrets are expensive. So are SAKOs. Idk who else will participate

Let's not talk about more calibers, IA is gonna a *censored*ing zoo as it is.

I'm gonna favor Beretta Victrix, if they participate. Because, even if SSSD participates and makes the cut, does it have large scale production capabilities? Barrets are expensive. So are SAKOs. Idk who else will participate

Let's not talk about more calibers, IA is gonna a *censored*ing zoo as it is.
Yeah but I would love our infantry to have a variety of caliber selection based on mission need. The U.S army uses a whole lot of different calibers for its snipers and spec op operations. Though a lot of them are reserved for the special forces. Part of the reason is that they use the ar15 and ar10 which are modular so you need to replace the upper for changing to some compliant caliber. I wouldn't mind if IA inducts 6.8 creedmore,.408 cheytacc,.338 Norma magnum,9x39mm for its sniper program not for standard issue.

Yeah but I would love our infantry to have a variety of caliber selection based on mission need. The U.S army uses a whole lot of different calibers for its snipers and spec op operations. Though a lot of them are reserved for the special forces. Part of the reason is that they use the ar15 and ar10 which are modular so you need to replace the upper for changing to some compliant caliber. I wouldn't mind if IA inducts 6.8 creedmore,.408 cheytacc,.338 Norma magnum,9x39mm for its sniper program not for standard issue.
No US Army is looking to switch to 2 calibers.. It only uses 4 now. .50, .338 for SOF, .308 and 5.56x45. It is looking to reduce to 6.8 SPC and .338 now. For ease of logistics.. No need for 6.5 CM or .408, or for that matter, .50BMG if you use .338. No need for 5.56, 9mm or 7.62 NATO, even, if you use 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC.

IA uses 7 calibers already; 5.56, 7.62x39, 7.62x51, 7.62x54R, .338, .50BMG and .50 Soviet
All manufactured in different facilities... Its a logistical nightmare. Keeping things as streamlined as possible should be the goal going forward. Fewer calibers is the way to go.

Ask @Milspec or @Parthu .. they'll know better.

I dunno how good SSSD's gun is either, so there us a strong chance that order will be given to a foreign company
Let's see if we could get some feedback from NSG and Para SF's trials. If they find em to be satisfactory and even if limited numbers are procured, that would be a huge boost for SSSD to pitch em to IA and other Paramilitary/State police forces
But I feel either Beretta or Barrett might win the deal again considering they won the last deals too. Sako guns are more niche compared to them
I'm not aware of IA conducting any trials to procure the Scorpio or Barrett. It was more like an emergency purchase since SSG was sniping BSF & IA folks stationed at LoC and we wanted to reciprocate but all we had were Dragunov SVDs. IA didn't even have OFB's Wooden Furnitured Ishapore Bolt Action Rifle
I'm gonna favor Beretta Victrix
The Victrix Scorpion TGT is a $10-14k rifle which is super expensive to meet IA's sniper requirements. SSSD's Viper and Saber should cost a fraction of that

I wouldn't mind if IA inducts 6.8 creedmore,.408 cheytacc,.338 Norma magnum,9x39mm for its sniper program not for standard issue
IA doesn't have a dedicated sniper program or school similar to other major militaries. The best of marksmen are given snipers and trained in basic sniping. That's something we need to look into prior to figuring out the procurement rifles/calibers

• Agree
Reactions: Lolwa and Killbot
Because, even if SSSD participates and makes the cut, does it have large scale production capabilities
SSSD's rifles have been designed by LMT's consultants, so I'd expect they'd stand a decent chance in IA's trials. Also, why'd they require large scale production capabilities when IA's requirement is <10k rifles.

For instance, Victrix's rep in the above video says the company only produces 5k rifles per year and anything beyond that compromises quality. This is the same among other major sniper companies