LCA Tejas Mk1 & Mk1A - News and discussions

""" Aircraft parts if not built to ICY standards, then every time it needs a pipe or panel, a standalone one will need to be manufactured. It will cause serious maintenance headache.

The video showing first forward fuselage built to ICY standards indicates aircraft built and inducted before are not to ICY standards. They will either require stand alone maintenance or need retrofit with ICY standard parts at a later date.

Achieving ICY was a gradual process.

So to summarize from these news reports -
SP3 - 50 Panels and 340 pipelines are achieving ICY
SP4 - Around 100 Panels and 700+ pipelines are achieving ICY
by SP7 - All 147 panels and for 830 pipelines out of 934 pipelines are achieving ICY
SPXX onwards - forward fuselage achieving ICY (October 2020)

This is the reason why the first two squadrons are based at Sulur, Coimbatore, close to HAL Bangalore, so that non-unique parts can be custom built at HAL Bangalore for repairs/maintenance.

Those doing rona dhona on large orders being not placed need to track when ICY is completely achieved so that proper mass production can commence and aircraft maintenance can be standardized at IAF bases.

BTW this is normal growth profile for an aircraft, just like a baby takes 18 years to become a voting adult.

Just like a human doesnt get a job unless he reaches a certain age and maturity.

Reason I am highlighting this is to counter the rona dhona and fake conspiracy theories of IAF not ordering/inducting Tejas."""
:eek::eek:

I wrote that ??? There was a time when I used to remember what SP number meant what. Now I have lost track of everything.
Also the analogies !!!! Eeesh ! baby-adult, human-job. What was I thinking ?!?! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Timeline

Ejj7RxYUcAA0jxL.jpeg

Reactions: Ankit Kumar
By last August, HAL’s Aircraft Research & Design Centre (ARDC) as the lead design authority had completed the structural design of the Tejas Mk.1A. The provisional set of drawings has also since been released for inspection & approval by IAF HQ & CEMILAC. These include those for new airframe-mounted panels to reduce the DI (daily inspection) time. In addition, a new concept called panel-in-panel (derived from the Rafale’s design) will be incorporated to increase the visibility of the components during DI time. Additional systems design activities are currently underway, like cockpit configuration & environment control system (ECS). By February 2021, all the selected imported hardware will start arriving for systems integration. By then, the final systems design is also expected to be completed. This will be followed by series of rig tests of all individual pieces of hardware (like the Unified Electronic Warfare Suite or UEWS, Digital Moving Map Display with 2-D maps & 3-D perspective view, provision for Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System/IRNSS-based navigation positioning system, GAGAN or GPS Aided Geo Augmented Navigation and SBAS or Satellite-based Augmentation System) to ensure compatibility with the ECS, electrical power supplies, MIL-STD-1553B & MIL-STD-1760 databus interfaces, and EMI-shielding. Up to 200 flight tests to be conducted by two LSP-series platforms from mid-2022. Final operational configuration of Tejas Mk.1A will be ready by late 2023. Metal-cutting is expected to commence one year after contract signature (of 73 single-seaters & 10 tandem-seaters) and first flight of the first SP-series Tejas Mk.1A (SP-41) is expected during the last quarter of 2023.

Taken as it was written from PKS blog

Metal-cutting is expected to commence one year after contract signature (of 73 single-seaters & 10 tandem-seaters) and first flight of the first SP-series Tejas Mk.1A (SP-41)
The contract is expected to be inked by Dec '20. If metal cutting begins within a year as per PKS, that's Dec'21. In which case the first flight should occur not later than Dec'22. Incidentally the first flight for Mk-2 is also expected to occur around the same time or by Jan-Mar'23. This is as per the tweet of AM Manmohan Bahadur quoting sources from ADA.

Post in thread 'ADA AMCA - Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft' ADA AMCA - Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft

The contract is expected to be inked by Dec '20. If metal cutting begins within a year as per PKS, that's Dec'21. In which case the first flight should occur not later than Dec'22. Incidentally the first flight for Mk-2 is also expected to occur around the same time or by Jan-Mar'23. This is as per the tweet of AM Manmohan Bahadur quoting sources from ADA.

Post in thread 'ADA AMCA - Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft' ADA AMCA - Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft
MK2 will take a longer time imo.

MK2 will take a longer time imo.
Timeline for IOC or FOC is 2026. The former is achievable. If you're referring to the first flight, IIRC, the final designs are on the verge of being frozen. How long do you think it would tane from metal cutting to assembling a prototype?

Lol this is not fan made

It was uploaded by a retd iaf officer who snapped it during a webinar or conference where he was invited to
Hi, do Mk2 will have any 360 deg situational awareness, similar to rafale & f35? In post 2025,i think such capability is very much required i guess.

Hi, do Mk2 will have any 360 deg situational awareness, similar to rafale & f35? In post 2025,i think such capability is very much required i guess.

Timelines are More important

Serial production should start in 2026

The most important change in Mk 2 is more internal fuel , more loiter time
And More payload capacity

Avionics will be similar to MK 1 A

Timelines are More important

Serial production should start in 2026

The most important change in Mk 2 is more internal fuel , more loiter time
And More payload capacity

Avionics will be similar to MK 1 A
Ok, but i feel like that Gripen NG type avionics improvement will be there in Mk2 too, basically much ahead of Mk1a in EW arena. Question is gonna stand against rafale or f35 in terms of situational awareness & EO sensor suite.
No idea

Yes such capabilities will be much desired
Exactly, these type of things ginna a standard thing on fighters in nearby futures.

Ok, but i feel like that Gripen NG type avionics improvement will be there in Mk2 too, basically much ahead of Mk1a in EW arena. Question is gonna stand against rafale or f35 in terms of situational awareness & EO sensor suite.

Exactly, these type of things ginna a standard thing on fighters in nearby futures.

IAF Has said that they only want MK 2 as good as the Present Mirage 2000 -- Upgraded Version

Jaguar , Mirage 2000 and Mig 29 will start retiring after 2028 , ie the older airframes , so we need replacements

Mk 1A is replacing Mig 27 and Mig 21
Mk 2 will replace 3 planes ie Jaguar
Mirage and Mig 29

If Mk2 gets delayed , IAF squadron strength will go below the Minimum requirements

Reactions: Hydra
IAF Has said that they only want MK 2 as good as the Present Mirage 2000 -- Upgraded Version

Jaguar , Mirage 2000 and Mig 29 will start retiring after 2028 , ie the older airframes , so we need replacements

Mk 1A is replacing Mig 27 and Mig 21
Mk 2 will replace 3 planes ie Jaguar
Mirage and Mig 29

If Mk2 gets delayed , IAF squadron strength will go below the Minimum requirements
MK2 will be delayed, no questions about that. Does IAF have a back up plan ?? I don’t think so and hence they will keep flying Jaguars, Mirrage and Mig -29 at least till 2035 and may be 2040.

MK2 will be delayed, no questions about that. Does IAF have a back up plan ?? I don’t think so and hence they will keep flying Jaguars, Mirrage and Mig -29 at least till 2035 and may be 2040.
Not necessarily. I think the ADA / HAL combine will be following the same path as they did for the Mk1. Get the IOC post first flight which is scheduled for 1st quarter 2023 , within 3 years - i.e 2026 , after which HAL draws up a production schedule for 30-40 aircraft to be delivered within 4 years while the FOC is completed by 2028 or 29.

Having said that, the first flight must take place by 2023 & the process for contract negotiations, drafting & signature should occur within a year of the first flight such that by the time of the IOC by 2026 , it can straight away proceed to production . Otherwise we'd see a situation as we do now wherein the procedure for contract negotiations & signature has already taken 4 years since MP & the MoD under him decided on developing the Mk1a. The only saving grace here is that the Mk1a - still under development thanks to the new subsystems being tested apart from a few other minor modifications will proceed directly into production from prototype stage w/o the need for fresh certification based on the certification of the Mk1.

The upgradation of the Mirages is still on & is expected to see the Mirages in service at least till 2035-40. The MiG 29's are sparingly flown & truth be told though it was a fine air superiority fighter in it's time, it hasn't aged well in spite of the upgradations being undertaken.

As far as the Jaguars go even if we did upgrade it with a new engine apart from the DARIN - lll upgrades being undertaken, I can't exactly see the role it's expected to perform except to make up the nunbers . I admit the assessment regarding the Jaguars is a bit harsh but they're certainly of no use on the eastern front. OTOH, on the Western Front, they may see limited utility once the IAF has established total air superiority .

Reactions: Bali78