HAL HTFE-25 & Other Indigenous Aero Engines Developments

Comparison with Shakti engine (Ardiden 1H1) and HAL HTSE-1200
Screenshot_2019-09-02 Datasheet_Ardiden_1H1 - datasheet_ardiden_1h1 pdf.png

Screenshot_2019-09-02 DHRUV.png

40794458845_9d3d758ccd_b.jpg

HTSE-1200 is heavier but with better power output and SFC at ISA-SLS conditions.

Status Update:

25 KN Hindustan Turbofan Engine (HTFE-25)

Design and development of a 25kN thrust class turbofan engine, which can be used on Basic/ Advanced military trainer, on small business jets and also large UAVs applications is under progress. The engine can be used on a 5-ton weight class aircraft in single engine configuration and on aircraft of up to 9-ton weight class with twin-engine configuration. Two core engines have been produced so far and are undergoing development trials. So far 339 runs have been completed on Core-1and Core-2 engines, of which 96 runs were completed in2018-19. HTFE-25 was successfully completed cold lightup at 14°C with spark igniters and achieving 100 per centmax speed with and without IGV modulation. HTFE-25engine was also successfully tested with a Technology demonstrator of Servo based fuel measuring unit.

The Company has taken up the design and development of ‘Afterburner Technology’ for HTFE-25 aero engine. The afterburner module was mounted on the PTAE engine followed by a successful demonstration of the basic afterburner technology using a fixed area propelling nozzle for HTFE-25 engine, in March, 2019.

1200 KW Turboshaft Engine (HTSE-1200)

The 1200KW Turboshaft engine would be used as power plant for 3 to 6-ton category helicopters. One technology demonstrator of HTSE-1200 engine was built and is currently under testing. Sea level testing was conducted in DefExpo-2018 and a maximum speed of 76 per cent of the engine has been achieved.

Technology demonstrators of Effusion CooledCombustor and High-Efficiency Compressor were developed and built for HTSE-1200 engine and successfully tested on the engine. DirectionallySolidified Gas Generator (GG) Turbine blades were also successfully developed for the engine. So far 250 runs have been completed successfully.

Once certified, the above engine programs promise self-reliance in the critical field of aero engines and availability of core engine technological capabilities within the country

Design and development of a 25kN thrust class turbofan engine, which can be used on Basic/ Advanced militaryUSBJOFST PO TNBMM CVTJOFTT KFUT BOE BMTP MBSHF 6"7applications is under progress. The engine can be used on a 5-ton weight class aircraft in single engine.
Uff............acronyms are strong with this one.o_O

Reactions: GuardianRED
Take it with a pinch of salt.

HAL working on afterburner module for HTFE-25 engine likely for Jaguar fleet

Published November 5, 2019 | By admin SOURCE: RAUNAK KUNDE / NEWS BEAT / ****
1572961394160.png

The Indian Air Force (IAF) has decided recently not to go with “re-engining” of its 80 aging Jaguar fighter fleet after US firm quoted an unacceptable $2.5-3 billion for taking full responsibility for installing its new F-125IN engines in 80 Jaguars, But Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL) actually might be working on an alternative engine which will be able to power IAF’s Jaguar fighter fleet if its plans to develop an advanced version of the HTFE-25 (Hindustan Turbo Fan Engine) materializes soon.

In March this year, HAL has taken up the design and development of ‘Afterburner Technology’ for the HTFE-25 aero engine. The afterburner module was mounted on the PTAE-7 engine followed by a successful demonstration of the basic afterburner technology using a fixed area propelling nozzle for the HTFE-25 engine was also carried out.

Jaguar’s fleet has an under-powered Rolls-Royce Adour 811 engines generating 25 kiloNewtons of dry thrust and 37.5 kN with afterburners, F-125IN selected by IAF earlier could have bumped up the power requirement to 27.7 kN of dry thrust and 43.8kN with afterburners with the new engines. HTFE-25 which is a 25 kn turbofan engine so far has completed 339 runs on Core-1 and 96 runs on the Core-2 engines 2018-19. HTFE-25 with an extra thrust of an afterburner module will be able to deliver 40.39 Kilonewtons (kN) (max afterburner) Takeoff Thrust with its dry 25 kN Takeoff Thrust which is still better than the power generated by the Rolls-Royce Adour 811 engines but slightly short of the F-125IN performance if it can generate above Takeoff Thrust .

HTFE-25 can be used on Basic/ Advanced military in single-engine trainer jets, business jets and UAVs weighing up to 5 tonnes and in the twin-engine configuration for the same weighing up to 9 tonnes. Two core engines have been produced so far and are undergoing development trials.

HAL working on afterburner module for HTFE-25 engine likely for Jaguar fleet – Indian Defence Research Wing

Take it with a pinch of salt.

HAL working on afterburner module for HTFE-25 engine likely for Jaguar fleet

Published November 5, 2019 | By admin SOURCE: RAUNAK KUNDE / NEWS BEAT / ****
View attachment 11179

The Indian Air Force (IAF) has decided recently not to go with “re-engining” of its 80 aging Jaguar fighter fleet after US firm quoted an unacceptable $2.5-3 billion for taking full responsibility for installing its new F-125IN engines in 80 Jaguars, But Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL) actually might be working on an alternative engine which will be able to power IAF’s Jaguar fighter fleet if its plans to develop an advanced version of the HTFE-25 (Hindustan Turbo Fan Engine) materializes soon.

In March this year, HAL has taken up the design and development of ‘Afterburner Technology’ for the HTFE-25 aero engine. The afterburner module was mounted on the PTAE-7 engine followed by a successful demonstration of the basic afterburner technology using a fixed area propelling nozzle for the HTFE-25 engine was also carried out.

Jaguar’s fleet has an under-powered Rolls-Royce Adour 811 engines generating 25 kiloNewtons of dry thrust and 37.5 kN with afterburners, F-125IN selected by IAF earlier could have bumped up the power requirement to 27.7 kN of dry thrust and 43.8kN with afterburners with the new engines. HTFE-25 which is a 25 kn turbofan engine so far has completed 339 runs on Core-1 and 96 runs on the Core-2 engines 2018-19. HTFE-25 with an extra thrust of an afterburner module will be able to deliver 40.39 Kilonewtons (kN) (max afterburner) Takeoff Thrust with its dry 25 kN Takeoff Thrust which is still better than the power generated by the Rolls-Royce Adour 811 engines but slightly short of the F-125IN performance if it can generate above Takeoff Thrust .

HTFE-25 can be used on Basic/ Advanced military in single-engine trainer jets, business jets and UAVs weighing up to 5 tonnes and in the twin-engine configuration for the same weighing up to 9 tonnes. Two core engines have been produced so far and are undergoing development trials.

HAL working on afterburner module for HTFE-25 engine likely for Jaguar fleet – Indian Defence Research Wing
I ask why not? I remember asking this query last year and people thought I was being facetious. Can't the said engine be uprated after this current iteration is thru all its tests & certified? I understand it'd take, say 5-7 years. But, isn't it possible? It's just a theoretical question. Let's not get into debates about the ongoing modernization & upgradation programmes of the IAF where we'd probably be having 72 Rafales, 120 odd Mk1/ Mk1a, etc by 2025-27 & as such the Jaguars already obsolete would be towards the end of its shelf life. There are always counter arguments to be made about quantity & the fact that with the amount of development / manufacturing the HAL/ ADA / ADE / DRDO quartet is undertaking it's always a race against time for organizations not exactly renowned for being nimble & swift.

@randomradio ; @Milspec ; @vstol Jockey

I ask why not? I remember asking this query last year and people thought I was being facetious. Can't the said engine be uprated after this current iteration is thru all its tests & certified? I understand it'd take, say 5-7 years. But, isn't it possible? It's just a theoretical question. Let's not get into debates about the ongoing modernization & upgradation programmes of the IAF where we'd probably be having 72 Rafales, 120 odd Mk1/ Mk1a, etc by 2025-27 & as such the Jaguars already obsolete would be towards the end of its shelf life. There are always counter arguments to be made about quantity & the fact that with the amount of development / manufacturing the HAL/ ADA / ADE / DRDO quartet is undertaking it's always a race against time for organizations not exactly renowned for being nimble & swift.

That guy's speculating. It's ****.

This engine will need at least three more years before it can be fitted to any aicraft and its afterburner version will probably need another one year above this.

• Informative
Reactions: _Anonymous_
This engine will need at least three more years before it can be fitted to any aicraft and its afterburner version will probably need another one year above this.
What about the uprated version? How long after that you reckon it'd take for development and certification? Can you enumerate the steps involved from upration to certification & the time taken for all of these ?

What about the uprated version? How long after that you reckon it'd take for development and certification? Can you enumerate the steps involved from upration to certification & the time taken for all of these ?
You need to first get the basic engine certified followed by the afterburner version. Once these two steps are completed, increasing the thrust will be rather easy. But every core design has a limit thrust beyond which it can't be uprated. HAL can go for a high bypass turbofac for use in biz jets. In that case it will need a very big fan and can hit a thrust of about 7k pounds with present core and thrust ratings.

• Informative
You need to first get the basic engine certified followed by the afterburner version. Once these two steps are completed, increasing the thrust will be rather easy. But every core design has a limit thrust beyond which it can't be uprated. HAL can go for a high bypass turbofac for use in biz jets. In that case it will need a very big fan and can hit a thrust of about 7k pounds with present core and thrust ratings.
How about the uprated version of HTFE 25 matching the exact specifications of the F-125 IN? What do you reckon? Going by your previous post of 3 years for certification of this engine + 1 year with AB & say another 2-3 for the R&D + certification for the uprated version? Don't you think we can accomplish this for the uprated version by 2027-28 timelines? Wouldn't that be good enough to go in for re engining whatever Jaguars we've left by those timelines?

How about the uprated version of HTFE 25 matching the exact specifications of the F-125 IN? What do you reckon? Going by your previous post of 3 years for certification of this engine + 1 year with AB & say another 2-3 for the R&D + certification of the uprated version? Don't you think we can accomplish this for the uprated version by 2027-28 timelines? Wouldn't that be good enough to go in for re engining whatever Jaguars we've left by those timelines?
Yes we can. But I will rater go for uprating the engine at this stage and get it certified first for higher rating and after that go for lower thrust version which will be just a FADEC function. From the very begining I had stated that they should have gone for the 40KN thrust version first.

Found an old presentation from Aero India 2015 presented by a fellow named Devanathan, AERDC, HAL. The presentation is titled : "Development of Medium Thrust Class Turbofan Engine – HTFE25". Some of the slides were already posted on this thread page no 1. Anyway here are the rest :

dev_of_htfe25_aerdc_hal_ai15_slide0.png

dev_of_htfe25_aerdc_hal_ai15_slide1.png

dev_of_htfe25_aerdc_hal_ai15_slide2.png

dev_of_htfe25_aerdc_hal_ai15_slide3.png

dev_of_htfe25_aerdc_hal_ai15_slide4.png

dev_of_htfe25_aerdc_hal_ai15_slide5.png

dev_of_htfe25_aerdc_hal_ai15_slide6.png

dev_of_htfe25_aerdc_hal_ai15_slide7.png

dev_of_htfe25_aerdc_hal_ai15_slide8.png

dev_of_htfe25_aerdc_hal_ai15_slide9.png

I know.
Found an old presentation from Aero India 2015 presented by a fellow named Devanathan, AERDC, HAL. The presentation is titled : "Development of Medium Thrust Class Turbofan Engine – HTFE25". Some of the slides were already posted on this thread page no 1. Anyway here are the rest :
Seminars/presentations are goldmines of information. Therefore its better to have the photos posted here, for future reference. In case the blog these pics are sourced from goes down we would lose very valuable pics. So I posted it here.

Don't forget to watermark it lest we have to suffer disputes out here in the future.
I know.

Seminars/presentations are goldmines of information. Therefore its better to have the photos posted here, for future reference. In case the blog these pics are sourced from goes down we would lose very valuable pics. So I posted it here.