West Bengal and North East : Political Discussions

Ashwin

Agent_47
Staff member
Administrator
Nov 30, 2017
Bangalore
Sticky Thread for all political discussion related to States : West Bengal and North East.....

Off topics will be removed and poster will be warned or thread banned....

Last edited by a moderator:
Ebar Bangla!

BJP eyes West Bengal Congress chief Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury
DECCAN CHRONICLE.
Published Apr 1, 2018, 1:57 am IST

Updated Apr 1, 2018, 1:57 am IST

Mr Roy, one of the founding members of the TMC, had joined the BJP last year after quitting the Mamata Banerjee led TMC.

dc-Cover-t2ra3bjv45sj6c9oufgjrqe392-20160205124916.Medi.jpeg

Congress MP Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury (Photo: PTI)

New Delhi: After bagging Mukul Roy, speculation is rife that the BJP could get another prominent 'Bengali manus' in its fold. The saffron party is abuzz with rumour that the Congress's West Bengal’s unit chief and Berhampore MP Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury could join the saffron fold soon.

Mr Roy, one of the founding members of the TMC, had joined the BJP last year after quitting the Mamata Banerjee led TMC.

Mr Chowdhury, who had been critical of Ms Banerjee, is apparently unhappy with the growing bonhomie between the West Bengal's ruling party and the Congress. Mr Chowdhury, it was learnt, is also miffed over the manner senior Congress leader Abhishek Manu Singhvi was renominated from the state to Rajya Sabha after TMC supported his candidature. Sources disclosed the BJP leadership has been receiving feelers from Mr Chowdhary's camp for sometime now.

The Congress leader had accused Chinef Minister Mamata Banerjee of trying to project herself as a pan-India leader and trying to advise the Congress.

Original Link: BJP eyes West Bengal Congress chief Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury

Reactions: Ashwin and Bali78
Countering the Opposition’s criticism about the newly formed Modi-Mamata equation, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) state unit president Rahul Sinha said: “It is not political courtesy to criticize the state government in front of the chief minister of that state. This is not right.

Countering the Opposition’s criticism about the newly formed Modi-Mamata equation, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) state unit president Rahul Sinha said: “It is not political courtesy to criticize the state government in front of the chief minister of that state. This is not right.

So courtesy still exists, politically.

Kolkata police detain CBI officials who wanted to question ‘missing’ commissioner
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee said she would stand with her police force and accused the BJP government at the Centre of ‘torturing’ West Bengal.
112158-rnbmvcdkfb-1549204639.jpeg
Kolkata Police team at Police Commissioner Rajeev Kumar's residence. | HT Photo
The Kolkata Police on Sunday detained a team of the Central Bureau of Investigation that arrived at the home of city police commissioner Rajeev Kumar to question him in connection with the Rose Valley and Saradha ponzi scams, ANI reported. The CBI team was taken to a police station.

West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee and state Director General of Police Virendra also reached Kumar’s house, according to PTI. Unidentified officials said that guards stopped the CBI team at the entrance, and a team of police officers asked them if they had the required documents to question Kumar.

Banerjee told reporters that she would stand with the police force, and said the developments showed “the destruction of the federal structure”. “I am proud to say that my responsibility is to give protection to the force,” she said. “Without notice, you are coming to Kolkata police commissioner’s house. We could have arrested CBI [officers] but we left.”

Banerjee accused the Bharatiya Janata Party of “torturing” West Bengal. She claimed that National Security Advisor Ajit Doval was giving directions to the CBI on instructions from Prime Minister Narendra Modi, PTI reported.

Law and order is a state subject, Banerjee said, asking why the state police should give the CBI all documents related to the investigation.

Kumar, who has not been seen in public since the CBI summoned him on February 1, headed the special investigation team that inquired into the two chit fund scams before the central agency took over in 2014 on the Supreme Court’s orders. The special investigation team had been set up by Banerjee the year before.

The CBI has sought documents and files from Kumar. However, he has not responded to notices asking him to produce the documents. Unidentified CBI officials said Kumar may be placed under arrest if he does not respond to the agency’s summons, NDTV reported on Saturday.

Banerjee has extended her support to Kumar, claiming he was “among the best in the world”. She also accused the Bharatiya Janata Party, which rules at the Centre, of “spreading lies” about him. She said Kumar has been “working 24x7, and was on leave for only one day recently”.

“The highest levels of the BJP leadership are doing the worst kind of political vendetta,” Banerjee tweeted on Sunday. “Not only are political parties their targets, they are misusing power to take control of the police and destroy all institutions. We condemn this.”

The Kolkata Police has also dismissed the CBI’s allegations against Kumar as “baseless”.

Mamata Banerjee justifies the crores her paintings fetched by claiming she is an artist, asks whether Modi is jealous of her 'talent'

FEBRUARY 5, 2019

mamata-painting-1.jpg
Mamata Banerjee's painting

Engagements2700

West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee’s legendary paintings which fetchedcrores have been in the centre of Saradha chit fund controversy. Last week, the CBI had summoned Derek O’Brien and grilled Mamata Banerjee’s close aide, Manik Majumdar, over the sale of her paintings to chit fund companies. The CBI has reportedly questioned Majumdar over how the proceeds of the CM’s paintings were utilised.

One of the paintings by Mamata Banerjee
While addressing the media earlier today after the Supreme Court verdict which directed the Kolkata Police chief to cooperate with the CBI in the investigation, Mamata said she is a self-taught artist as well as a best-selling author. She asked Modi whether it is because of her many talents that PM Modi is jealous of her.

In the above video, from 18:17, Mamata says questions are being raised about her creativity being used to raise money, part of which goes to the CM relief fund, and hence, she wants electoral reforms.

Another one of Mamata’s paintings.
In the video, Mamata says, “I made paintings. I have written so many books. I have written 87 books. They are best sellers. I can write. Even I can play the songs also. Modi is jealous of this also? I have made paintings. I am an artist. It is not that I have taken a lesson from anywhere. But I can do something. Ask any artist about my paintings. See, 200-300 paintings of mine were sold in the market in an exhibition. Before that, I made it clear in a press conference. This is not my party amount. I will not peg them more than the market value. We will not let anyone take advantage of my creativity. This move should have been welcomed. This is why we want electoral reforms.

Two exhibitions took place. 200-250 paintings were sold and even from that Rs 1 crore was given to chief minister relief fund. Rs 20 lakh were given to governor relief fund. After that CBI sends notice to municipal corporation whether we paid rental fees for the exhibition. Is this CBI’s job?”

Mamata Banerjee justifies the crores her paintings fetched by claiming she is an artist, asks whether Modi is jealous of her 'talent'

FEBRUARY 5, 2019

mamata-painting-1.jpg
Mamata Banerjee's painting

Engagements2700

West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee’s legendary paintings which fetchedcrores have been in the centre of Saradha chit fund controversy. Last week, the CBI had summoned Derek O’Brien and grilled Mamata Banerjee’s close aide, Manik Majumdar, over the sale of her paintings to chit fund companies. The CBI has reportedly questioned Majumdar over how the proceeds of the CM’s paintings were utilised.

One of the paintings by Mamata Banerjee
While addressing the media earlier today after the Supreme Court verdict which directed the Kolkata Police chief to cooperate with the CBI in the investigation, Mamata said she is a self-taught artist as well as a best-selling author. She asked Modi whether it is because of her many talents that PM Modi is jealous of her.

In the above video, from 18:17, Mamata says questions are being raised about her creativity being used to raise money, part of which goes to the CM relief fund, and hence, she wants electoral reforms.

Another one of Mamata’s paintings.
In the video, Mamata says, “I made paintings. I have written so many books. I have written 87 books. They are best sellers. I can write. Even I can play the songs also. Modi is jealous of this also? I have made paintings. I am an artist. It is not that I have taken a lesson from anywhere. But I can do something. Ask any artist about my paintings. See, 200-300 paintings of mine were sold in the market in an exhibition. Before that, I made it clear in a press conference. This is not my party amount. I will not peg them more than the market value. We will not let anyone take advantage of my creativity. This move should have been welcomed. This is why we want electoral reforms.

Two exhibitions took place. 200-250 paintings were sold and even from that Rs 1 crore was given to chief minister relief fund. Rs 20 lakh were given to governor relief fund. After that CBI sends notice to municipal corporation whether we paid rental fees for the exhibition. Is this CBI’s job?”

Good looking paintings. On the other hand (read the bold part):

It was coffin scam before the 2004 election. It is Rafale scam before the 2019 election. The coffin scam was a sham, the courts found no evidence of wrongdoing in the import of aluminium “transfer cases” to treat the military dead with dignity. Nothing came of that scam, though Sonia Gandhi-led Congress succeeded in sowing doubts, at least temporarily, about the integrity of then Defence Minister George Fernandes. Likewise, the import of 36 Rafale fighter jets with a deadly payload on board from Dassault of France, is a scam for Rahul Gandhi-led Congress. If post-Kargil the Army felt the need to import the coffins for transporting bodies of soldiers to lend dignity to them in death, Indian Air Force has been crying itself hoarse for years for the medium multi-role combat aircraft to lend teeth to its capabilities. The induction of the latest war planes in the fleet of neighbouring countries has decidedly put the IAF at a disadvantage. Again, if the hullaballoo over the so-called coffin scam was based on deliberate confusion about the plain, one-time use traditional wooden caskets, which cost a fraction of the “transfer cases” made of solid aluminium of at least 22 millimeter thickness, the Rafale noise is over a gross, and, dare we say mischievous, misreading of the composite package that comes with each fighter jet, instead of its bare-body version. The simple, one-time use coffin cost nearly $200, whereas the solid aluminium cases for transferring the dead from one place to another cost nearly $3,000, depending on the prevailing price of aluminium in the open market. But Sonia Gandhi’s Congress, ignoring what Fernandes had sought to import were special “transfer cases”, cried scam from housetops. Just as her son now robotically shouts Rafale scam. Clearly, the mother-son duo seeks to paint the leaders of the rival parties in the same black colour on the eve of elections. How did the so-called coffin scam end? This is significant. The Congress rode to power in 2004. A case was registered. The CBI filed a charge-sheet against three senior Ministry of Defence officials. But, finally, the courts dismissed the charges, finding no evidence to suggest wrongdoing. A PIL in the Supreme Court too was dismissed. Now, come to Rafale. The Supreme Court has already rejected the thrust of the Gandhi charge in the Rafale agreement with the same French firm with which the UPA government had all but signed the deal, but due to vacillation kept it hanging for Narendra Modi to clinch it. If A.K. Antony had pleaded lack of funds, among other factors, for not signing the deal for 126 aircraft, Modi cannot be faulted for buying in flyaway condition at least 36 so that the urgent needs of the IAF can be partially met. The UPA failed to procure even one though it talked of buying 126. Such hypocrisy does not impress anyone. But you cannot educate those whose interests lie in not understanding the obvious. Rahul Gandhi is bent on manufacturing a scam to undermine the credibility of Modi. In order to establish a level-playing field between a corrupt Congress leadership and the BJP, Rahul Gandhi needs must sow the seeds of doubt about the Prime Minister’s integrity—even if, in the process, the effort to augment the fighting capabilities of our Air Force is further undermined. As always, it is family over party and party over nation for the Gandhis. Meanwhile, remember that the coffin scam was thrown out by the courts when the UPA was in power. The Bofors scam too was given a judicial burial when the UPA was in power, the only difference is that in the former they tried hard to prove a scam, while in the other they went out of their way to put a tight lid on one that was 100% a scam. The kindly judge who dismissed the Bofors case soon found himself a post-retirement sinecure. Indeed, one of the most audacious scams of the Manmohan Singh Government, which nobody talks about, is when he dispatched a senior law officer to London to unfreeze the bank account of the Italian bribe-taker Ottavio Quattrocchi. The crook immediately took out more than 20 million pound sterling before, following a furore in Parliament, the gentleman and scholarly Singh ordered the Quattrocchi account to be frozen. How one wishes Singh had more spine and less gentlemanliness! The nation would have been spared the broad daylight loot that went on during his benign rule. HOLD YOUR BREATH: A LITERARY GENIUS IS BORN A report in a leading English language daily that Priyanka Vadra, nee Gandhi has received Rs 1 crore as advance for a book set me thinking. I do not recall anyone even among well-known Indian writers getting that kind of money in advance for their books. Nor do I think there is a market in India for the publishers to recover their costs, especially if they pay such astronomically high sums in advance alone. Besides, Priyanka Gandhi is not known to have written anything which is in public domain which can justify such a payment. There are questions galore, but let us leave that for a moment. Not long ago, when Captain Satish Sharma emerged as then Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi’s closest aide, he was most sought after by the corporate houses. He was Petroleum Minister when his Dutch-born wife, Sterre, emerged as a painter, holding an exhibition-cum-sale in late Lalit Suri’s hotel in Delhi. Small wonder, the great works of art were snapped up like proverbial hot cakes, leaving her richer with vast sums of legit money. A sitting judge of the Bombay High Court, subsequently forced to resign, was paid by a property developer whose case he was hearing, over 3.5 lakh in British pound sterling for books which were no more than mere pamphlets. Again, the wife of an aide to the Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit discovered her artistic and literary talents overnight, holding painting exhibitions and publishing several books which, as expected, were lapped up eagerly by those eager to keep her husband on their side. Also, the 13-year-old son of a minister in the Modi government discovered his artistic talents when his father was a key aide to the then Urban Welfare Minister in the first NDA government. Public sector Housing and Urban Development Corporation, under the ministry, paid lakhs to buy the art of the little genius of whom little has been heard since his father quit the IAS to join politics. Meanwhile, another standard way to corrupt journalists and wannabe writers is to get them to set up think tanks so that corporate houses can bribe over-the-counter. The list of such beneficiaries too is pretty long and cuts across party lines. Of course, all this is not to pre-judge the literary value of the yet-to-be-written Priyanka’s book. For all we know, India might soon be blessed with another world-renowned writer. But till that happens, we will continue to wonder why anyone would pay Rs 1 crore in advance to an untested writer. You get the drift, don’t you?

After Ferdous, another Bangladeshi actor spotted campaigning for TMC
It seems that Trinamool Congress (TMC) has decided to bank heavily on Bangladeshi actors to campaign for them during this poll season as after Ferdous Ahmed another Bangladesh actor named Gazi Abdun Noor was on Tuesday seen campaigning for the party in West Bengal.

In a video, Noor can be seen campaigning for West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee's party. The Bangladeshi actor campaigned for senior TMC leader and sitting MP Sougata Roy in the Dumdum constituency. He took part in a road show accompanied by TMC leader Madan Mitra.

This incident came to light just a day after Ferdous was caught on camera campaigning for TMC candidate Kanhaiyalal Agarwal from Raiganj constituency. Ferdous participated in a road show and sought votes for Agarwal at Hemtabad and Karandighi.

Talking to Zee Media, TMC leader and Kolkata Mayor Firhad Hakim tried to downplay the matter saying BJP is deliberately raising this issue becuase they are sure of their defeat in the state.

Meanwhile, BJP leader Rahul Sinha expressed serious concern over the matter saying Bangladeshi actors are
coming to India and are campaigning for TMC which is wrong because no foreign citizen can influence our voters. He added that these actors are coming to India on either tourist or business visa but are indulging in political activity.

West Bengal BJP leaders Jay Prakash Majumdar and Sisir Bajoria on Tuesday met Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) Ariz Aftab in Kolkata and demanded that Ferdous should be arrested.

"We understand that foreign nationals can't participate in electioneering process in India. When TMC is using Bangladeshi nationals (actor Ferdous) for campaigning, they are breaking the rules. He should be arrested for breach of visa rules," Majumdar said.

The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) on Tuesday cancelled Ferdous' business visa and issued him a notice to leave India without any delay. The MHA also blacklisted the Bangladeshi actor from the country. The MHA took the decision after the Bureau of Immigration submitted a report that Ferdous had committed visa violations during his stay in India. Ferdous has already left India and returned to Dhaka.
After Ferdous, another Bangladeshi actor spotted campaigning for TMC

• Informative
Reactions: Gautam
India cancels another Bangladeshi actor’s visa
After Ferdous, India has cancelled the visa of another Bangladeshi actor, Gazi Abdun Noor. The actor was asked to leave India by Thursday. He was seen in West Bengal on Tuesday campaigning for Trinamool Congress (TMC) in the ongoing Indian national election.

Gazi plays the role of Raja Rajchandra in the serial, “Rani Rashmoni”, which gets aired on Channel Zee Bangla.
On Tuesday, BJP (Bharatiya Janata Party) submitted a video to the Election Commission. Subsequently, the Indian home ministry asked foreigner regional registration offices (FRRO) for Gazi’s visa related information. Based on the information, the ministry cancelled his visa.

According to Anandabazar, BJP leader Rahul Sinha expressed serious concern over the matter, saying Bangladeshi actors are coming to India and campaigning for TMC, which is wrong because no foreign citizen can influence voters, as reported by Zee News.

He also said that these actors are visiting India on either tourist or business visas, but are indulging in political activity.

The latest incident came to light just a day after Ferdous Ahmed was caught on camera campaigning for TMC candidate Kanhaiyalal Agarwal of Raiganj constituency.

Under the circumstances, the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) cancelled Ferdous' business visa and issued him a notice to leave India without any delay. Ferdous left India and has already returned to Dhaka.

The MHA also blacklisted the Bangladeshi actor from the country.
India cancels another Bangladeshi actor’s visa