Twin-Engine Deck Based Fighter (TEDBF)

Could have had two more hardpoints like eurofighter.
images (12).jpeg

Still not an Indian powerplant? What is the actual time limit to get a decent Indian made powerplant for such projects. Two of India's major defence supplier are already engaged in war, France is overloaded with projects, Kaveri doomed and ToT from US is not anytime soon. The Jet Engine deal is still under negotiations.

Still not an Indian powerplant? What is the actual time limit to get a decent Indian made powerplant for such projects. Two of India's major defence supplier are already engaged in war, France is overloaded with projects, Kaveri doomed and ToT from US is not anytime soon. The Jet Engine deal is still under negotiations.
France is not overloaded with projects, and we are continuing to deliver to specification and on time. There are logistical problems with subcontractors for the supply of certain components, but volumes in the military are low compared with the civil sector, and subcontractors are assisted by the prime contractors, for example by financing stocks. For the moment, everything is on track.

15 years atleast.

10 years with French help for AMCA. TEDBF will continue using the F414.
Someone in Twitter wrote, Amca mk1 will be having F414, TEDBF prototype s also will have F414.

So I think AmCA mk2 and Tedbf production variants use French JV engine.

Someone in Twitter wrote, Amca mk1 will be having F414, TEDBF prototype s also will have F414.

Yeah its what DRDO chairman said recently.

On the first two squadrons of Indigenous Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft to be produced together by GE and HAL, DRDO Chief Samir V Kamat says, "... For our next generation aircraft, the first two squadrons will go with the GE 414 engine... But beyond that and for developing the engine capability with 6 generation technologies, we need to develop a high thrust to weight class engine. So hundred and 10 kilonewtons is just a ballpark figure that I have given you, but we need to develop technologies which will allow us to develop a 6th generation engine. And for that, we want to work in collaboration with a foreign OEM to reduce the risks in this development... We have been talking to Safran of France, Rolls Roys of the UK and GE of the US. We will choose the partner among the 3... We hope that within the next 6 months, we are able to take a decision... (LCA Mk2 and 2 Squadrons will be powered by) GE 414 engine, which will be produced in the country. GE and HAL will enter into an agreement..."

It would be great if TEDBF gets the JV engine, but that's only if the IN will be willing to wait.

The goal for TEDBF is IOC in 2032. There's no way the engine will be ready by then.

Yeah its what DRDO chairman said recently.

On the first two squadrons of Indigenous Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft to be produced together by GE and HAL, DRDO Chief Samir V Kamat says, "... For our next generation aircraft, the first two squadrons will go with the GE 414 engine... But beyond that and for developing the engine capability with 6 generation technologies, we need to develop a high thrust to weight class engine. So hundred and 10 kilonewtons is just a ballpark figure that I have given you, but we need to develop technologies which will allow us to develop a 6th generation engine. And for that, we want to work in collaboration with a foreign OEM to reduce the risks in this development... We have been talking to Safran of France, Rolls Roys of the UK and GE of the US. We will choose the partner among the 3... We hope that within the next 6 months, we are able to take a decision... (LCA Mk2 and 2 Squadrons will be powered by) GE 414 engine, which will be produced in the country. GE and HAL will enter into an agreement..."

Sathya is actually referring to TEDBF getting the JV engine. The above was always known.

• Agree
Reactions: Sathya and marich01
Sathya is actually referring to TEDBF getting the JV engine. The above was always known.
It is obvious once the jv enginee gets flyworthy certified almost all latter jets would get that once production commences (and Navy agrees to use it). In the meantime every engine we will use likely to be F414 local made. So if tedbf comes quicker (likely) the early batches will have local 414.

That new engine I think, full certification, enough maturity, its still 20 years away min. It takes time to prove an airworthy system. For initial batches I think navy will opt for a proven engine f414, much like MRSAM/LRSAM on NGC case. Unless they just tweak the snecma core a bit to increase thrust and not much scale up later, very hard to build a new engine with new core and pass it flyworthy within 10 years.

Reactions: Sathya
It is obvious once the jv enginee gets flyworthy certified almost all latter jets would get that once production commences (and Navy agrees to use it). In the meantime every engine we will use likely to be F414 local made. So if tedbf comes quicker (likely) the early batches will have local 414.

That new engine I think, full certification, enough maturity, its still 20 years away min. It takes time to prove an airworthy system. For initial batches I think navy will opt for a proven engine f414, much like MRSAM/LRSAM on NGC case. Unless they just tweak the snecma core a bit to increase thrust and not much scale up later, very hard to build a new engine with new core and pass it flyworthy within 10 years.

Since the numbers are small, the IN will have to settle for one engine type. So I don't think TEDBF will get the JV engine, any jets bought will very likely retire with the same engine. The new F414s can work throughout the service life of the airframe.

Reactions: marich01 and Sathya
Since the numbers are small, the IN will have to settle for one engine type. So I don't think TEDBF will get the JV engine, any jets bought will very likely retire with the same engine. The new F414s can work throughout the service life of the airframe.
Yes true, also on a longer term view, we will definitely have 3 AC for extended period 10-15 years from now. So projection would start from what, min 50 jets excluding the rafales? Repeat IAC no same, 3rd IAC will be bigger we can hope, and post Vicky retirement IN likely to operate nearly 100 jets imo including some shore based squadron. Curious if they spend capex on NLCA or opt for rafale/tedbf more quickly.

Yes true, also on a longer term view, we will definitely have 3 AC for extended period 10-15 years from now. So projection would start from what, min 50 jets excluding the rafales? Repeat IAC no same, 3rd IAC will be bigger we can hope, and post Vicky retirement IN likely to operate nearly 100 jets imo including some shore based squadron. Curious if they spend capex on NLCA or opt for rafale/tedbf more quickly.

Assuming the Rafales will be moved to a CATOBAR IAC-3 and Vikky's out of service, the 2 remaining Vikrants will need 80-90 TEDBF. So the IN needs about 150 jets for 3 carriers. And, unlike the other services, the IN has the money for it.

You mean at least 10 or maximum 10? This is hilarious. Which also means no 5th or 5.5th gen fighter before 2040 as there is no dedicated engine for this.

Assuming a contract is signed next year, we will only have an operational engine in 2034. Then production will take until 2036-37, so at least 2038. Add 2 years for delays, so yeah, 2040 for an FOC AMCA. And that's always been my date for AMCA Mk2.

AMCA Mk1 will give us initial 5.5th gen capabilities before 2035. It just won't be able to supercruise, that's all.