Touching tale of labourer's son who chose Indian Army over US job, IIM

dadeechi

Dec 11, 2017
HYD
Touching tale of labourer's son who chose Indian Army over US job, IIM
Updated: Dec 10, 2017 | 11:22 IST | Times Now Digital
1512922944-yadagiri.JPG

Barnana Yadagiri, the man who cohse to join the Indian Army after rejecting US job | Photo Credit: Indiatimes

Dehradun: A labourer from Hyderabad experienced the best day of his life when he witnessed his son in an Army officer's attire during a passing out parade at Dehradun's Indian Military Academy on Saturday.

Now a commissioned officer, Barnana Yadagiri, has made his father Barnana Gunnaya proud. However, the journey was not easy for Yadagiri, as his father was a daily wage labourer earning Rs 100 per day in a cement factory in Hyderabad.

However, what makes Yadagiri's journey memorable and corageous is the fact that he chose to join the Indian Army after rejecting the oppotunity to work in the US, and a chance at Indian Institute of Management (IIM).

Read: How an Indian drone could expose China's military moves

The newly-commissioned officer, while speaking to The Times of India, said he decided to follow his heart and joint the army.
"My father is a very simple man. He thought that I was getting into the Army as a soldier. In fact, he told me I was making a huge mistake by leaving a highly-paid software job to join the Army," said Yadagiri.

While he became a software engineer earlier, overcoming myriad financial difficulties, after studying from the International Institute of Information Technolgy, he refused a job offer from Union Pacific Rail Road, which is a US-based company.

He also said no to a call from the IIM Indore, where he secured admission after scoring 93.4 per cent in the CAT exam.
Money never tempted him, told Yadagiri, adding that he had the option of sticking to the corporate world and make a lot of money; however, it was not where his heart wanted.

Also read: Navy Day: The night Indian Navy created a 'near perfect blackout' at Karachi

"I decided to follow my heart," he said.

"The kind of mental satisfaction one gets by working for the motherland cannot be replaced by any amount of money," he said.

Sharing some of his future goals, Yadagiri said he already has the "basic character of hard work in my genes".

"I will ensure that I fulfil my duties in a manner that makes the country proud by working in the defence research and development stream," he told TOI.

Times Now

Reactions: Dagger