Tejas Mk2 (Medium Weight Fighter) - News and discussions

LCA MK2 or MCA

Brilliant design.
IMG_20190220_083033.jpg

It's better than I hoped. The fuselage points are the same, with the exception that the MCA can now carry an EW pod and an LDP along with a tank. And the wings have 4 hardpoints each. A full 9+2 configuration.

This will easily meet the IAF's MMRCA specs.

Plus includes IRST.

Include a inbuilt IRST in MK2

The canard position are just placed between existing Space (no change in width between wing and cockpit ) but yes due to longer fuselage the glass cockpit moved little bit forward...that’s my observation.

You missed the cropped delta design. :D

One of the plus 2 pylons is carrying a bomb. Which can mean the same pylon can carry A2A missile as well, as long as there's enough clearance between the landing gear and the missile.

But of course, with options for 8 missiles, it's unnecessary.

Internal fuel : 3300 ltr
Payload capacity 6500 kg
Length : 1.35 mtr longer tha mk1.
IRST
MAWS
UTTAM AESA
Ge 414 engine.
First flight at end of 2023
4 prototypes planned

almost 4.8 ton extra payload capacity including internal fuel, is it really possible considering even empty weight is little more than earlier version? If yes, then efficient use of extra 20 kn.

They are planning first flight in Dec 2023. Which means the aircraft will enter the engineering phase only next year.

So you can expect a full squadron only in 2030.

Reactions: Angel Eyes
They are practically showing off here. ;)

It can carry 8 missiles (4+4) with 3 tanks.

I hope the frontal image of this model comes up soon.

Biggest new thing with regard to hardpoints in my opinion, is the inclusion of wingtip points.

And with a Multi-Ejector Rail on the inner underwing missile hardpoint, you can get 10 missiles and 3 tanks in an A2A mission load (if both points under inlets carry missiles as an A2A load won't require any pods).

Isn't that half the range of the MKI? If true, that's a huge accomplishment over the Mk1 / MK1a

No. The MKI's range is 3000Km on internal fuel.

On internal fuel, the Mk2 will comfortably outrange Mig-29, F-16, LCA Mk1, Mig-21 etc, which have ranges between 1400 and 2100Km. It will match Rafale, Gripen E and SH in the 2300 to 2500Km class.

With 3 drop tanks, at about 4000Km, the Mk2 will comfortably outrange MKI by at least 1000Km.

Of course, we are hoping MKI gets some significant upgrades in fuel carried, like the Su-35, including drop tanks, which will increase MKI's range to 4500Km.

Mk2 will more than meet the IAF's requirement for a single engine 4th gen fighter.

• Informative
Reactions: _Anonymous_
No. The MKI's range is 3000Km on internal fuel.

On internal fuel, the Mk2 will comfortably outrange Mig-29, F-16, LCA Mk1, Mig-21 etc, which have ranges between 1400 and 2100Km. It will match Rafale, Gripen E and SH in the 2300 to 2500Km class.

With 3 drop tanks, at about 4000Km, the Mk2 will comfortably outrange MKI by at least 1000Km.

Of course, we are hoping MKI gets some significant upgrades in fuel carried, like the Su-35, including drop tanks, which will increase MKI's range to 4500Km.

Mk2 will more than meet the IAF's requirement for a single engine 4th gen fighter.

Never seen any Flanker with drop tanks, ever. Su-35 or otherwise.

Biggest new thing with regard to hardpoints in my opinion, is the inclusion of wingtip points.

And with a Multi-Ejector Rail on the inner underwing missile hardpoint, you can get 10 missiles and 3 tanks in an A2A mission load (if both points under inlets carry missiles as an A2A load won't require any pods).

This aircraft gives a lot of options now.

But I'm not sure of the 2 points on the fuselage being able to carry a 3.6m missile. Regardless, 8 missiles is plenty.