T-90 Bhishma / T-72 Ajeya of Indian Army : News and Discussions

What is the RHA penetration capability of this round??

From the article you quoted :

The OFB has recently finished supplying over 10,000 tank shells with 460mm piercing capacity. In a bid to continue getting indents, it has now come up with shells having piercing capacity of much beyond 500mm, said sources. Internal trials have been completed over a month ago and the product would be put up before the Army for its final appraisal. The production process takes place in ordnance factories across Vidarbha too.

EKxtBL1UYAAO3f2

The article says, T-90 S/SK Mark-III
Other websites are stating that we are buying T-90MS tanks. Don't know whom to trust.
But T-90MS is really the best bet as the upgraded gun can fire sinvets-1 apfsds round with 750-780mm RHA penetration at 2km. Also, T-90S tech is quite old and is simply out of date in 2019. These tanks are meant for the China border so they better be T-90MS tanks because Chinese armour is much superior to Pakistani tanks.

View attachment 11758
I thought

This is really befuddling... Ok. First it was reported we are procuring 464 T90MS mbts.. now it is reported.. OFB is manufacturing 464 T90S mbts...?? Are these procurement different or t90ms purchase was erroneously confused with T90S.. as it stands now we are manufacturing T90S instead of T90MS..

Now my question is if we are indeed manufacturering T90S.. then isn't it a case of haphazardness.. producing early 2k era specs T90S mbts in 2020-25 instead of modern T90MS model..?? Is their anything else than wht meets the eye??

T90MS fits the bill perfectly with it's improved main gun capable of firing more modern APDS rounds & relikt armour capable against tandem shaped warhead/APDS rounds..then why on earth we are producing T90S instead???

From the article you quoted :

That's not impressive. But it's fine for the subcontinent for now.

Enough for Pakistan, not enough for Chinese tanks.
I hope it is around 700-800mm RHA penetration at around 2km.

Can't be done with tungsten. Can't be done with depleted uranium either.

The T-90S's autoloader is the main limiter, it cannot carry long rod penetrators. Otherwise, the Russian T-90MS and T-90M can fire shells that can achieve 750mm penetration. 450mm to 750mm is too much of a difference for an autoloader that cannot handle anything more than 450mm. Just achieving 550mm will be a big deal.

Of course, if the new order for 464 tanks comes with the 2A46M-2 or 4 or 5, then new Russian ammo will be possible. Right now we are stuck with Mangos (literally). @Falcon

• Informative
Reactions: Gautam

@Falcon

Is this RFI being serious or some badly-written, badly-timed April Fool's joke?

530mm at 60 deg?

For those who want to know what I'm talking about.
tRJuXlJ.jpg

Even the best shell in the world is assumed to do 400mm at 60 deg. Let's say 500mm if the Russians are not being generous. Which means IA is asking for a shell that does better than a shell that's twice the size compared to the one used on our T-90 today.

To put things in perspective, the T-90's shell looks similar to what's on the extreme left, while what IA is expecting looks like the American 120mm shell on the right.
lV668Z4Tu1LKpRmmMDdd4LU3ctbyUjvyWXzMmTZWqJw.jpg

Here's an even better image that highlights the difference.
EEpf-3UUEAAAIKK.jpg

@Falcon
If someone within the DGMF doesn't do better research than this, someone has to get shot. Or give me a gun and I'll shoot myself.

Please direct this forum post to the DGMF at [email protected].

Every second this RFI remains active, a puppy dies somewhere.

• Agree
Reactions: Schwifty
can T 90 or T 90M autoloader hold bigger penetrator rounds like new russian vacuum -1 & 2 ?
T-90 tanks are fitted with 2A46M smoothbore gun which can fire APFSDS with max penetration of 500-550mm at 0° for 2km.
T-90M tanks has the 2A82-1M smoothbore gun(similar to T-14) and can fire APFSDS like Vacuum-1 and Vacuum-2 with penetration of 900-1000mm at 0° for 2km.
Even if we upgrade our smootbore gun on the T-90 fleet to 2A46M-5 std then we will be able to fire Sinvets APFSDS which has penetration of 740mm of RHA at 0° for 2km.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: Hellfire and Nikhil