Sports in India : News and Debates

HISTORY MADE !!

Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty have beaten the reigning world champions to win the Thailand Open. They become the first Indian doubles pair to win a World Tour 500 event.

1565000161362.png

India para shooters hit the mark at Croatia event, set 4 world records

August 1, 2019
parashooters.jpg

Indian para shooters have done the country proud at the at the Osijek 2019 World Shooting Para Sport World Cup in Croatia with their rich haul of medals. With this performance, India’s position in the Sydney 2019 World Shooting Para Sports Championships looks solid as its likely to make the minimum qualifying score with eight places.

Five gold medals, two silver, and four bronze. The cherry on top – four world records. It was certainly a good run for Indian para shooters at the Osijek 2019 World Shooting Para Sport World Cup in Croatia. With three of those records in junior events, the future of Indian para shooting looks promising.

Go For Gold in 2020

This is what the final tally looked like:

• 50 Mtr Free Pistol Men - Gold for Singhraj, Manish Narwal and Akash.
  • Air Pistol Men Team - Gold for the above three shooters yet again.
  • Air Pistol Women Individual - Gold for Nisha Kanwar and a silver for Rubina Francis, who also set a Junior World Record.
  • Air Pistol Mixed Event - Gold for Manish Narwal and Nisha Kanwar. Bronze for Singhraj and Pooja Agarwal.
  • Air Pistol Men Individual - Gold for Rahul Jakhar, silver for Manish Narwal and a junior world record.
  • 50 Mtr Free Pistol Men Individual - Bronze for Singhraj.
  • Air Rifle Standing Men Individual - Bronze for Swaroop Mahavir Unhalkar.
  • Air Rifle Standing Women Individual - Silver for Avani Lekhara who also set a Junior World Record.
With this Nisha has won two golds at world cup competitions, raising hopes of more medals at the 2020 Tokyo Paralympics. Pretty amazing given that this was her first world event. “It feels very, very nice,” she said speaking after the event to the official media organisers. “My first competition, and first medal, I can’t believe it. I’ve only been shooting since 2018. I’m very lucky because my coaches and family have been extremely supportive.”

Junior shooters Avani Lekhara, Manish Narwal and Rubina Francis are showing great promise too, making their presence felt in national and international events. Paralympian Deepa Malik attributed the performance to the continuous administrative support and guidance from the Paralympic Committee of India (PCI).

It has been a stunning performance by our para shooters and in a short span of three years a world class level for many new talents has been achieved. Personally I feel more proud as women para shooters are also doing so well. This speaks highly of the growth of Paralympics movement in India. Para Shooting has a great future and sure medal-winning capabilities at the 2020 Tokyo Paralympics, I am happy to see a sea-stride improvement of para shooting in the past three years” - Deepa Malik, Athlete Council Head, Paralympic Committee of India
Colonel J.P Nautiyal, Coordinator, Shooting Technical Committee PCI, says India’s para shooters are performing amazingly well. “Their performances can be attributed to two factors – coaches and the students themselves”, says Colonel Nautiyal, who is a former national-level shooter himself. “The students are giving scores that are on par with International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) shooters like Saurabh Chaudhary. Their performances are on par with non-disabled shooters”.

India’s chances in 2020 now look good. The win has boosted the shooter’s morale. Speaking to the Paralympic organisers after the win, Rahul said he was happy to have broken the record.

“It is some feeling to have broken the record. It is very important for us because shooting is a high priority sport in India. During the gold medal shoot-out with Manish I wasn’t thinking about the medal or scores, I was only thinking about my technique. There’s no rivalry between us, he’s like a brother to me”, he added.

India para shooters hit the mark at Croatia event, set 4 world records

India want Davis Cup tie moved from Pakistan over Kashmir

1 min read . Updated: 11 Aug 2019, 02:51 PM IST AFP
  • India have asked the ITF to shift their upcoming Davis Cup tie from Pakistan to a neutral venue due to escalating political tensions over Kashmir
  • The Indian team are scheduled to tour Pakistan's capital Islamabad for the Asia/Oceania Group 1 tie to be held on September 14 and 15

ITF_1565515275947.JPG

New Delhi: India have asked the International Tennis Federation to shift their upcoming Davis Cup tie from Pakistan to a neutral venue due to escalating political tensions between the two nations.

The Indian team are scheduled to tour Pakistan's capital Islamabad for the Asia/Oceania Group 1 tie to be held on September 14 and 15.

But relations between the neighbours are badly strained after India revoked the special autonomy status of Kashmir, which the nuclear-armed rivals have fought two wars over since gaining independence from Britain in 1947.

"We have asked ITF for a neutral venue because the situation is a bit unpredictable," All India Tennis Association (AITA) president Praveen Mahajan told AFP on Sunday.

"I believe it is a reasonable request because of the current state of affairs."

Pakistan has downgraded diplomatic ties with India over Kashmir and stopped a cross-border train.

The AITA was preparing to send its team to Pakistan despite suspended sporting ties between the two countries but the Kashmir situation has raised fresh doubts.

India cut bilateral cricket ties with Pakistan after the 2008 Mumbai attacks, with authorities blaming Pakistani militants.

An Indian tennis team last toured Pakistan in 1964 for the Davis Cup, where they defeated the hosts 4-0.

Pakistan lost 3-2 when they toured Mumbai in 2006.

Until a few years ago, Pakistan were forced to host home Davis Cup ties at neutral venues as teams refused to travel to the South Asian nation over security concerns.

"I am hopeful they will shift the tie because Pakistan is used to playing in neutral venues," Mahajan said.

"ITF will respond to our request shortly, sometime this week."

Pakistan Tennis Federation president Salim Saifullah Khan had earlier said they would honour the decision of the ITF if the AITA sought a neutral venue.

India named a full strength squad for the crucial tie with the country's highest-ranked players in Prajnesh Gunneswaran (90) and Ramkumar Ramanathan (184) to play the four singles matches.

India want Davis Cup tie moved from Pakistan over Kashmir

Aishwarya Pissay wins FMI World Cup after finishing fourth-place finish in Hungary; becomes first Indian to claim world title in motorsports

Sports
By Press Trust of India
Aug 12, 2019 17:35:52 IST

Varpalota: Aishwarya Pissay became the first Indian to claim a world title in motorsports, annexing the FIM World Cup in the women's category after the final round of the championship.

The 23-year old from Bengaluru also finished second in the FIM Junior category on Sunday. Aishwarya, who won the first round in Dubai and was placed third (Portugal), fifth (Spain) and fourth (Hungary) in the subsequent outings, finished with a tally of 65 points, just four ahead of Portugal's Rita Vieira in the final overall standings for women.

She was placed second in the junior category with 46 points, behind championship winner Tomas de Gavardo (60) of Chile.

Going into the Hungarian Baja, Aishwarya (52) and Vieira (45) were the top contenders for the World Cup. The fourth-place finish earned the Indian 13 points while Vieira, who was placed third, garnered 16.

"It's absolutely overwhelming. I am out of words. After what happened last year, my first international season, when I crashed in Spain Baja and suffered career-threatening injuries, to come out and win the championship, is a great feeling," an ecstatic Aishwarya said after the podium ceremonies.

"It was a tough phase of my life, but I believed in myself and was determined to get back on the bike which I did after nearly six months. So, winning the World Cup is huge for me and I will look to better my performance having gained this experience," she added.

Aishwarya Pissay wins FMI World Cup after finishing fourth-place finish in Hungary; becomes first Indian to claim world title in motorsports - Firstpost

Naib Subedar Deepak Punia of Army Sports Institute Mission Olympic Wing wins gold medal in 86 kg Freestyle weight category at World Junior Wrestling Championships in Estonia. Our sportsmen are striking success after success.

1565968874268.png

1565968911296.png

She has done it. First ever Indian BWF world champion PV Sindhu

1566741258590.png

At last after losing two back to back world championship she deserves to win this. She became the 5th female player in history to have full set of medals at world championship. Gold, silver, bronze she has it all.

What makes victory even sweeter is that the 2019 BWF World Championships Final was against her old nemesis, the Japanese superstar Nozomi Okuhara. PV Sindhu lost in the finals of the last BWF World Championships in 2017 to Okuhara. This time she has done it. The final scoreline read 21-7 21-7.

Look at post #44 on this thread. Suffice it to say Indian Badminton has come of age both for men and women. Special mention to Mr. Pullela Gopichand. What amazing contribution to Indian badminton ! True hero of a coach.
1566742453595.png

This man here mortgaged his home to run the training academy for the world champions we see today. His own fu*king home !! There weren't many private sponsorers back then and the govt. wasn't very supportive.

Not all heroes wear capes, this man is surely a hero in his own right.

Reactions: randomradio
Lieutenant General Anil Puri has become first serving general of the Indian Army to complete France's oldest cycling event, 1,200-km Paris-Brest-Paris circuit. The 56 years old officer completed the circuit on 23 August by cycling non-stop for 90 hours, without sleep.

1566749566800.png