Rheinmetall KF51 Main Battle Tank (NEW)

Again, I wasn't talking about the armor, but the turret being manned. Apparently, KF51 has a two-person turret with an autoloaded main gun.
It's optional.

Automation
Fully integrated and automated ammunition handling and target engagement systems pave the way for reduced crew sizes and unmanned turret options.

Reactions: Domobran7
That doesn't even make sense. A KE round will go through any part and if you destroy the turret the tank is nothing.

APFSDS kills via heat from friction, so it needs to go through armour to do that. Once whatever's left of the rod breaches into the turret cavity, temperatures inside go into thousands of deg C, and destroys a lot of stuff inside, including the crew.

But if all it does is go through a steel plate, then it will only make a hole in the armour without doing any damage, 'cause it's just a rod.

So APFSDS is useless against an unmanned turret. It will have to be used to breach the hull instead, which is very difficult due to its low profile and heavy armour of the crew capsule.

HEAT is more effective against an unmanned turret, but we can defeat such rounds using APS much more easily than APFSDS.

• Haha
Reactions: BMD
APFSDS kills via heat from friction, so it needs to go through armour to do that. Once whatever's left of the rod breaches into the turret cavity, temperatures inside go into thousands of deg C, and destroys a lot of stuff inside, including the crew.

But if all it does is go through a steel plate, then it will only make a hole in the armour without doing any damage, 'cause it's just a rod.

So APFSDS is useless against an unmanned turret. It will have to be used to breach the hull instead, which is very difficult due to its low profile and heavy armour of the crew capsule.

HEAT is more effective against an unmanned turret, but we can defeat such rounds using APS much more easily than APFSDS.
Who's to say they will aim at the turret? They usually aim for wherever the ammo is stored, once that ignites the tank is gone. And it can still disable a turret or ignite loaded ammo in the gun. Or destroy the APS.

Who's to say they will aim at the turret? They usually aim for wherever the ammo is stored, once that ignites the tank is gone. And it can still disable a turret or ignite loaded ammo in the gun. Or destroy the APS.

The T-14's ammo is below the gun and is protected.

There's no protection from a KE round doing 2200m/s. And once the turret and gun is disabled, what good is the tank anyway?

You can't disable the turret or gun with just a KE round. Don't you understand the physics involved? KE rounds need to hit armour to do their job. The turret is a steel plate, no armour, no ERA, the KE round will simply go through it without doing any damage, except to whatever electronics has the unfortunate coincidence of being in its path. It's the reason why KE rounds are pretty much useless against light-skinned vehicles like cars and trucks.

The gun is behind the crew capsule, only the barrel is exposed to a KE round and is replaceable in the field. So if you want to hit the gun, the round has to go through the crew capsule first. And in order to disable the turret, the round must explode inside the turret, which a KE round is incapable of doing. Only ATGMs and HEAT rounds are effective against an unmanned turret.

• Haha
Reactions: BMD
You can't disable the turret or gun with just a KE round. Don't you understand the physics involved? KE rounds need to hit armour to do their job. The turret is a steel plate, no armour, no ERA, the KE round will simply go through it without doing any damage, except to whatever electronics has the unfortunate coincidence of being in its path. It's the reason why KE rounds are pretty much useless against light-skinned vehicles like cars and trucks.
Err... wrong.l If it goes through a mechanical or electrical part, it's disabled. Also, if there's a round in the gun, that can be triggered too.

They can go through engine blocks and transmissions too.
The gun is behind the crew capsule, only the barrel is exposed to a KE round and is replaceable in the field. So if you want to hit the gun, the round has to go through the crew capsule first. And in order to disable the turret, the round must explode inside the turret, which a KE round is incapable of doing. Only ATGMs and HEAT rounds are effective against an unmanned turret.
The gun is on the turret, the crew capsule is below. A KE round will go through either. It will also happily penetrate where the armour is stored, especially the next gen 130mm and 140mm rounds being worked on by NATO.

Russia always promises amazing new armour with every new tank, and always fails to deliver. The T-14 has been broadly cancelled anyway, so it's time to stop dreaming about it.

Err... wrong.l If it goes through a mechanical or electrical part, it's disabled. Also, if there's a round in the gun, that can be triggered too.

It's all hidden behind the crew capsule.

They can go through engine blocks and transmissions too.

:rolleyes:

You mean more stuff behind the crew capsule? :rolleyes:

The gun is on the turret, the crew capsule is below. A KE round will go through either. It will also happily penetrate where the armour is stored, especially the next gen 130mm and 140mm rounds being worked on by NATO.

The gun on regular tanks are also not protected from a direct hit behind the mantlet.

Basically all your arguments are based on where there isn't any armour, but you still don't get it that KE rounds can't damage the T-14's turret.

It's all hidden behind the crew capsule.
The KE round will go through it all wherever it is.
:rolleyes:

You mean more stuff behind the crew capsule? :rolleyes:
Referring to soft-skinned vehicles.
The gun on regular tanks are also not protected from a direct hit behind the mantlet.

Basically all your arguments are based on where there isn't any armour, but you still don't get it that KE rounds can't damage the T-14's turret.
Of course they can, but they can also go straight through the main body where the ammo is. The T-14 is not a well-protected tank.

1. Straight through the side to ammo.

2. Straight through front of turret to round in the breach.

3. Straight through front into the driver/gunner.

4. Gonna be a real joy when a mine explodes right under those shells too.

1673512782754.png

1. Straight through the side to ammo.

2. Straight through front of turret to round in the breach.

3. Straight through front into the driver/gunner.

4. Gonna be a real joy when a mine explodes right under those shells too.

View attachment 25953

All you did is point out weakness in low Pk areas of the tank. The Russians will happily risk those areas.

And mines don't hit the underbelly, they hit the tracks, genius.

Would recommend relearning physics.

All you did is point out weakness in low Pk areas of the tank. The Russians will happily risk those areas.

And mines don't hit the underbelly, they hit the tracks, genius.

Would recommend relearning physics.
You clearly know nothing about tank manoeuvres. When tanks drive out perpendicular to the enemy to present a harder moving target, they will get hit in the side. It's not low Pk, it's high Pk.

Mines will detect the under belly.

Would recommend relearning everything for you, from politics, to history to science, I've never read such crap in my entire life. In fact, as soon as I see what you have typed, I find myself reaching for the toilet paper due to reflex.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: jetray
You clearly know nothing about tank manoeuvres. When tanks drive out perpendicular to the enemy to present a harder moving target, they will get hit in the side. It's not low Pk, it's high Pk.

Mines will detect the under belly.

Would recommend relearning everything for you, from politics, to history to science, I've never read such crap in my entire life. In fact, as soon as I see what you have typed, I find myself reaching for the toilet paper due to reflex.

There's no tank in the world today that can protect itself from a KE round from the side... except the T-14, because it doesn't have armour in the turret. Hitting the hull on the side will kill any tank, which is why other tanks and infantry protect the flanks of the tanks that are on the offensive. Tanks use formations, they don't rambo battles.

Would recommend returning your PhD.

There's no tank in the world today that can protect itself from a KE round from the side... except the T-14, because it doesn't have armour in the turret. Hitting the hull on the side will kill any tank, which is why other tanks and infantry protect the flanks of the tanks that are on the offensive. Tanks use formations, they don't rambo battles.

Would recommend returning your PhD.

Introduction page on phd report, in few words. 😂

jon snow love GIF

• Haha
Reactions: Rajput Lion
why do waste your potential & time by arguing here, I bet you would be greatly useful elsewhere.

Donna Paulsen Sarah GIF

Reactions: Rajput Lion
The KF51 APS can stop KE rounds, and yes the M1A2's armour can stop them. Don't talk about tank-infantry tactics because Russia doesn't have any, and everyone has a plan until they get smacked in the mouth.