Rheinmetall KF51 Main Battle Tank (NEW)

In Germany, Rheinmetall introduced the new KF51 Panther tank. For the first time since World War II, the tank is again called "Panther". There is little information about the tank, it is known that it has a new 130-mm cannon and a coaxial 12.7-mm machine gun. The new gun was introduced back in 2016, in response to information about the Russian Armata tank. For the first time in German tank building, the gun has a full-fledged automatic loader, where 20 shells are loaded, but after they finish, the rest must be loaded manually. On the KF51 Panther tank, you can install a remote-controlled machine gun of 7.62 mm caliber. The principle of "transparent armor" is implemented in the vehicle, the crew sees the situation around the tank with the help of screens. The tower can integrate a system for launching HERO 120 kamikaze drones and reconnaissance UAVs. The tank has passive protection and reactive protection built into the body, like the "Armata", as well as some kind of "active protection". The crew of the tank is 3 people and it is not placed in an armored capsule like the "Armata", but classically in the tower, the fourth crew member can control the drones. The weight of the KF51 Panther tank is 59 tons, the cruising range on one gas station is 500 kilometers, the price is unknown. The KF51 Panther tank has not yet been put into mass production.

The autoloader is optional apparently. Where did you get the information about the armour?

Last edited:
The KF-51 has an integral short-range air reconnaissance capability, two small UAVs with a few kilometers operational range and 30 min endurance. They are housed on each side of the turret and launched at will to recon the area ahead of the MBT.

1655662281126.png

Also interesting is the modularity of the 2 magazines each housing 10 rounds. For Eurosatory 2022 one was replaced by one with four UVision HERO 120 loitering munitions which are apparently being fired by the main 130 mm gun.

This looks like a Leo 2 hull mated to a new turret. So no armour capsule. It looks like a waste of time, especially the extra space used up for... nobody. With a very likely low production run, the 130mm gun will run out of ammo after a few days.

I hope they build a more modern tank with a new hull and better crew protection. This tank shouldn't scuttle MGCS. In fact, it could be a testbed for MGCS.

Overview I wrote, not sure if I should add something.

No radar?

Reactions: Domobran7
This looks like a Leo 2 hull mated to a new turret. So no armour capsule. It looks like a waste of time, especially the extra space used up for... nobody. With a very likely low production run, the 130mm gun will run out of ammo after a few days.

I hope they build a more modern tank with a new hull and better crew protection. This tank shouldn't scuttle MGCS. In fact, it could be a testbed for MGCS.
Isn't MGCS not even in development yet? From what I understand there isn't anything to scuttle just yet, and if MGCS does not go forward, Panther might be a good alternative.

Isn't MGCS not even in development yet? From what I understand there isn't anything to scuttle just yet, and if MGCS does not go forward, Panther might be a good alternative.

The Rafale is to the FCAS for France as Panther is to the MGCS for Germany. Yeah, politics could kill both and the fallback will be these aircraft.

Reactions: Domobran7
Hatch armour thickness of KF51 compared to T-14 Armata.

1656526681912.png

1656526708150.png

People are probably underestimating the integrated drone capability too.

And this armoured capsule BS is just like when Russian babbled on about the Shtora system before it was found to be worthless. Seems to me that the armour capsule is just making up for the otherwise lack of armour.

Also to be noticed is how far the KF-51's turret armour comes forward of the breach relative to an Armata.

No radar?
Obviously if it has active defence it has a radar, it also has drones to scan for infantry before they even get in radar range. And the active protection works against KE rounds too.

People are probably underestimating the integrated drone capability too.

And this armoured capsule BS is just like when Russian babbled on about the Shtora system before it was found to be worthless. Seems to me that the armour capsule is just making up for the otherwise lack of armour.

Also to be noticed is how far the KF-51's turret armour comes forward of the breach relative to an Armata.
Isn't Armata's turret basically unarmored?

Relatively speaking, yes. People harp on about how the crew and ammo are separate below, but once the turret is gone, the tank is just a lump of junk anyway.
Yeah. My own idea for a tank has unmanned turret, but turret is still armored because that is where the ammunition is. I don't think KF51 does that, though?

Yeah. My own idea for a tank has unmanned turret, but turret is still armored because that is where the ammunition is. I don't think KF51 does that, though?
The turret on the KF51 appears armoured to me.

Relatively speaking, yes. People harp on about how the crew and ammo are separate below, but once the turret is gone, the tank is just a lump of junk anyway.

An unmanned turret makes APFSDS largely useless.