Nuclear Energy in India : Updates

Also can we consider the projects for 6 French reactors and 6 US reactors dead now? The only PWRs will be 6 Russian VVERs , right?
Yes, I think Cost factors have killed French and the US reactor implementation, in my opinion. we have our own nuclear reactor research on track (IPHWR 700), which I rank second to Russia. China's nuclear reactor design and development are mostly based on the PWR French design. PWR are good for high capacity reactors, but we have our own path because of an abundance of Thorium and less availability of Uranium. The AHWR is an Indian invention that aims to build a hybrid reactor by combining concepts from a Russian PWR (cylinder pressure tube) and an Indian PHWR. FBR we have a working PFBR where Chinese are struggling... They are only talking, same with Molten Salt reactor.

IPWR 900 also has no updates, except for some news articles.
Yes, BARC refuses to put out much data about the IPWR in public. Understandable given the IPWR family originates from CLWR family of marine nuclear reactors.

Conversely, I think BARC could make a case that the IPWR-900 reactor can be built without the need for any prototype reactors as the land based marine reactor S1, CLWR-B1 & CLWR-B2 is sufficient proof of the reactor design, safety & reliability.

I think the approval for the IPWR-900 would largely depend on our ability to source nuclear fuel from abroad for the entire lifespan of the reactor. Obviously, this would be subject to IAEA safeguards & would depend on how much access we are willing to provide to the IAEA. IPWR does not make a lot of sense with domestically sourced Uranium.
Also can we consider the projects for 6 French reactors and 6 US reactors dead now? The only PWRs will be 6 Russian VVERs , right?
Deal with the US has been dead for a decade now, The French PWRs might still have a chance. But these reactors are very expensive. Thus power from these reactors would not be price competitive in our power market.
Yes, I think Cost factors have killed French and the US reactor implementation, in my opinion.
The French are still lobbying for it. But you are right, high cost has killed their prospects. Maybe the French can offer a bundle deal for MRFA orders, P75I & nuclear reactors at a reduced price.

One more event that was on yesterday ,

Indian Atoms towards the Net Zero Course-National Technology Day Symposium-IYNS, PHDCCI & Geostrata​

One more event that was on yesterday ,

Indian Atoms towards the Net Zero Course-National Technology Day Symposium-IYNS, PHDCCI & Geostrata​

These IYNS guys have started designing a micro thorium reactor:
View attachment 1715509494584.jpeg
View attachment 1715509523880.jpeg
View attachment 1715509576066.jpeg
View attachment 1715509596854.jpeg

Some details here:

It's too early to say what will come off of this. But it does feel good to see pvt companies, startups even, go into such a tech heavy sector.

These IYNS guys have started designing a micro thorium reactor:
View attachment 33487
View attachment 33488
View attachment 33489
View attachment 33490

Some details here:

It's too early to say what will come off of this. But it does feel good to see pvt companies, startups even, go into such a tech heavy sector.
As per the description of the video, this innovative 10 MWe reactor is known as Suk-M (Sookshma) and is based on molten salt technology with a refueling cycle of more than 15 years and utilizing thorium as fuel. The prototype is targeted to be ready in 2031. This will be helpful for SEZs and large industries where they can be setup on demand and in remote areas where you do not need to connect with the power grid by electrical cables, like Ladakh or Lakshadeep, a remote island in India, as an alternative to solar energy.

The government should support these entrepreneurs rather than create roadblocks.

Reactions: Gautam