Mirage 2000H, MiG-29UPG, Jaguar DARIN III - Medium Multirole Aircraft of IAF

yes. BAngalore works, for instance, because it is the base of Nasscom. Question is, have other industry bodies become as sophisticated- able to influence government and other stakeholders to remove the barriers and promote innovation.
Hire me, it's my job now to organize clusters, execellence centers etc ;)

The usual plan is to store decommissioned airframes in Chateaudun, harvest them for parts as needed while the type is operational, and sell them or scrap them afterwards. They'll only be refurbished if a country expresses firm intent to purchase them.

Keep in mind though that they'll have been rode hard and long, so they'll have very little structural life left in them once they're retired. India would probably be better served by looking at the 60 Mirages of the United Arab Emirates.

Also Chateaudun is planned to close fully in 2021, and I have no idea what they'll do with decommissioned airframes afterwards, as there are no other storage bases. Scrap them as they come?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashwin and Parthu
@Picdelamirand-oil @halloweene @A Person @Bon Plan @randomradio

I'm not aware if this conversation took place before, but what is expected of the AdlA Mirage 2000s after they retire? Are you aware of any plans of refurbishing and selling them to IAF? Has any such solicitation come from the Indian side?

ADLA plans to upgrade some (55 M-2000D), put some into storage and scrap some. They won't give up their stored fleet well after their own M-2000s leave service.

The French will be giving us 2 of their trainers as attrition replacement. I hope that's increased by 1 more to make up for the most recent loss.

If IAF does plan to enlarge the M-2000 fleet, then the best bet would be UAE or Taiwanese Mirages. Both fleets have plenty of life in them and are sufficiently advanced.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Picdelamirand-oil @halloweene @A Person @Bon Plan @randomradio

I'm not aware if this conversation took place before, but what is expected of the AdlA Mirage 2000s after they retire? Are you aware of any plans of refurbishing and selling them to IAF? Has any such solicitation come from the Indian side?
They are very tired. And far from being up to date.
N models : tired. Must be downgraded to remove nuc sub system. only able to made air to ground missions with limited weapon range.
Air defense models : tired. old radars, with no air to air capacity. no more medium semi active missile on production (Matra Super 550 F and D) and short range missile (Magic 2).
I don't know wat about the "D" models not upgraded for FaF, but very few available and old radar not able to fire air to air missile.

I say "No way".

• Informative
Reactions: Parthu
They are very tired. And far from being up to date.
N models : tired. Must be downgraded to remove nuc sub system. only able to made air to ground missions with limited weapon range.
Air defense models : tired. old radars, with no air to air capacity. no more medium semi active missile on production (Matra Super 550 F and D) and short range missile (Magic 2).
I don't know wat about the "D" models not upgraded for FaF, but very few available and old radar not able to fire air to air missile.

I say "No way".
What we want is airworthy airframe with enough life of 10-15 years. For avionics anyway we will be upgrading to H standard.

Last edited:
What we want if airworthy airframe with enough life of 10-15 years. For avionics anyway we will be upgrading to H standard.
I often wonder, why not small qty of F16's. No production line or TOT , just two sqdns of Blk 40 or Blk 52, stored or used f16's for DACT only. That would be quite fun. We anyways operate a bunch of different platforms.

• Agree
Reactions: Parthu
I often wonder, why not small qty of F16's. No production line or TOT , just two sqdns of Blk 40 or Blk 52, stored or used f16's for DACT only. That would be quite fun. We anyways operate a bunch of different platforms.
Handful of is feasible. More than that will be called misplaced priority since sqd numbers are too low.

Handful of is feasible. More than that will be called misplaced priority since sqd numbers are too low.
meh, squid strength has been low since the last Hunter sqdn said bye, bye. But a DACT F16 will toy with PAF's tactics and planning more than anything else can.
On DACT note, the other article on the bison vs F16, apparently F5's wreak havoc in dact as aggressor sqdns. I thought that was quite a novel selection. Now given that we have to contend with F16's Jf17's (and probably a J10b) as the main aggressor platform, what would be a good DACT platform for India?

Last edited:

Considering how badly depleted our squadron strength is, we can't squander our money away after fruitless pursuits.

Anyway, since we already operate many different platforms, we do not need to bring in more for DACT.

It's not like there's any shortage of friendly air forces operating the F-16 that you can train against during exercises.

So for DACT it'd make more sense to buy JF-17! :p

meh, squid strength has been low since the last Hunter sqdn said bye, bye. But a DACT F16 will toy with PAF's tactics and planning more than anything else can.
On DACT note, the other article on the bison vs F16, apparently F5's wreak havoc in dact as aggressor sqdns. I thought that was quite a novel selection. Now given that we have to contend with F16's Jf17's (and probably a J10b) as the main aggressor platform, what would be a good DACT platform for India?

Would have made more sense to get L&T into the picture with a Tejas Prodn line and get HAL to compete, like Kalyani and Tata for the howitzer.

Reactions: Milspec
Considering how badly depleted our squadron strength is, we can't squander our money away after fruitless pursuits.

Anyway, since we already operate many different platforms, we do not need to bring in more for DACT.
Cmon now, the money we are going to spend on statues around India, I am sure we can atleast get some f16's for that; ;) How big is the Yogi governments 221m statue going to be now? assume 3000cr like the one in gujarat and 3.3 in mumbai for the shivaji statue, ; when we can spend 9000 cr on the statues, man a sqdn of used f16 should be chump change.

Last edited:
Would have made more sense to get L&T into the picture with a Tejas Prodn line and get HAL to compete, like Kalyani and Tata for the howitzer.
Sure. that would have been a good plan. hopefully something like that happens with both LCA mk2 and the AMCA.

It's not like there's any shortage of friendly air forces operating the F-16 that you can train against during exercises.

That's true, for example the Singaporeans -

UJ8Bpkaxl76S531vgKS1jYF2JRSWbYI_WNGcWJWqh1o.jpg

So for DACT it'd make more sense to buy JF-17! :p

I hope we can convince Myanmar to sell off some of their JF-17/FC-1s to India at a later stage...or even some extension joint exercises.

Buying some second-hand planes shouldn't cost much at all, if we want to acquire them. A lot of those will sooner or later be up for grabs once NATO air forces start bringing in F-35s and retiring the Vipers.

Cmon now, the money we are going to spend on statues around India, I am sure we can atleast get some f16's for that; ;) How big is the Yogi governments 221m statue going to be now? assume 3000cr like the one in gujarat and 3.3 in mumbai for the shivaji statue, ; when we can spend 9000 cr on the statues, man a sqdn of used f16 should be chump change.

Statues make money, they generate revenue. In fact, we should have built world class statues in the previous century.

Defence expenditure must be pragmatic.

Statues make money, they generate revenue. In fact, we should have built world class statues in the previous century.

Statues are A Five year project

At least they generate jobs

Compared to Universal Basic Income,
Farm loan waivers , MNREGA

Indian Defence Expenditure is Constrained
By the Availability of Dollars

Rupee Expenditure is never a problem

Unfortunately that is oversimplification, States make money, states pay that money to the center, the center then allocates money to state out of it's central budget, and then states use that money for whatever they like, like infrastructure, schools colleges, (oxygen in hospitals); and in this case gigantic statues.
Typically:
1552630613674.png

May be the PMO can convince some of the other CM's in the other 26 states barring the 3 already poised for these beautiful statues, to forgo their pursuits of showing other who can errect the biggest, may be some of those funds could be used to buy some of items which might aid the forces.

Amazing ventures I say, these statue building activities, but lets pic it up on a separate thread.