MDL Indigenous Conventional Submarine Developments

Ashwin

Agent_47
Staff member
Administrator
Nov 30, 2017
Bangalore
Screenshot 2023-07-22 at 2.07.08 PM.png

MISSION ATMANIRBHAR SUBMARINE: As a proof of concept for Indigenous Submarine, MDL successfully pressure tested its Midget Submarine Prototype Hull at unique land based Submarine testing facility developed by MDL.

F1n--00WIAAIobT

F1n-_2wXwAAxOF_

Reactions: marich01 and Gautam
Other than a prototype/TD, what purpose would this serve? I am trying to think of some use case.
We regarded Arihant as a TD submarine, navy still managed to put some armament in it accordingly with K-15.

Reactions: aditya g
Other than a prototype/TD, what purpose would this serve? I am trying to think of some use case.
We regarded Arihant as a TD submarine, navy still managed to put some armament in it accordingly with K-15.
It would serve as coastal submarines. Deploy Navy spec ops personnel. Counter to Pakistani coastal subs. This is a good article for some basic info:

H I Sutton - Covert Shores

Reactions: marich01 and Sathya
80km seems unusually less for the sub. Is it the range of the 2 swimmer delivery vehicles that this sub will carry?
That is the only point I remember from the L&T SOV-400 which I felt was too low, perhaps just a proto and will be scaled up eventually.

EDIT: per this endurance is 21 days, so that figure is probably wrong

submarine-sov400.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Gautam and aditya g
That is the only point I remember from the L&T SOV-400 which I felt was too low, perhaps just a proto and will be scaled up eventually.

EDIT: per this endurance is 21 days, so that figure is probably wrong

submarine-sov400.jpg

Submerged range is 80 nautical miles, that's about 150 km.
Cruising range is 2000 nautical miles. 3700 km.
That's pretty good.

GNikB67WgAADLqK

The MDL has successfully completed the platform design and hull of the midget submarine named ‘Arowana’ which was launched by Shri Giridhar Aramane. The shipyard has been building submarines since 1984 with foreign design. It has also commenced the design and development of an indigenous conventional submarine. Midget Submarine is being developed as a proof of concept. The team is parallelly working on the development of design of full-scale conventional submarine by 2028.

GNikB67WgAADLqK

The MDL has successfully completed the platform design and hull of the midget submarine named ‘Arowana’ which was launched by Shri Giridhar Aramane. The shipyard has been building submarines since 1984 with foreign design. It has also commenced the design and development of an indigenous conventional submarine. Midget Submarine is being developed as a proof of concept. The team is parallelly working on the development of design of full-scale conventional submarine by 2028.

is this related to the requirement for the swimmer delivery vehicles or is this just a model to test technology and make new submarines in the future?

Reactions: marich01
Nothing against it, but this looks like they took a pic of a bomb rack pylon on su30 carrying a 250kg bomb and based the design on its borderline look.

is this related to the requirement for the swimmer delivery vehicles or is this just a model to test technology and make new submarines in the future?
It looks bigger than a swimmer delivery vehicle. Their PR says it's a technology development effort. We would have to go with that.

Curiously, they still have another small sub under fabrication.

5GUEW.jpg