LCA Tejas Mk1 & Mk1A - News and discussions

Can't this drag be reduced by the application of supercritical airfoil so that there is no need of afterburner at all or even then little bit of afterburner is required?
Yes, it can be done but the drag rise due to compressability will still be there. All we can do is that we reduce this transonic regime. I developed an airfoil which does it for my own MSA.

Reactions: Rajput Lion
Since one wingtip(below) pylon would have ASPJ pod, it makes sense to have 2 ASRAAMS in a twin-rake configuration on the other side.
why not carry the ASPJ on the left intake pylon where they attach EO/IR pod. IMHO, the best set up for LCA MK-1A will be to have 3xD/Ts, one each on the centerline, and middle wing pylons. ASPJ on left intake pylon, a triple mount for missiles on inner pylon with one Astra and two ASRAAM and just one Astra on outer most wing pylon. This will allow LCA to carry 4xBVRAAM+2xASRAAM+ASPJ without compromising on range and endurance.

why not carry the ASPJ on the left intake pylon where they attach EO/IR pod. IMHO, the best set up for LCA MK-1A will be to have 3xD/Ts, one each on the centerline, and middle wing pylons. ASPJ on left intake pylon, a triple mount for missiles on inner pylon with one Astra and two ASRAAM and just one Astra on outer most wing pylon. This will allow LCA to carry 4xBVRAAM+2xASRAAM+ASPJ without compromising on range and endurance.
Does ASPJ on the left intake pylon will have the same angular 360° coverage as the planned left 'below wing-tip pylon'? If yes then I hope someone from IAF reads this as this configuration that you're suggesting makes perfect sense.

Here is the current planned position:

Screenshot_20240413-152728_Chrome.jpg

Image source: Bharat Rakshak Forum

Does ASPJ on the left intake pylon will have the same angular 360° coverage as the planned left 'below wing-tip pylon'? If yes then I hope someone from IAF reads this as this configuration that you're suggesting makes perfect sense.

Here is the current planned position:

View attachment 32994

Image source: Bharat Rakshak Forum
Yes it will have better coverage than what is shown in the picture. This one on the left wig outer pylon will get blanked by the loads on the right wing.