Internal Counter-Terror Ops by Indian Security Forces and NIA : News and Updates

Break down bigger states into smaller ones. Simple.
South Asians are genetically ready to fight among ourselves. The moment we divide states into smaller ones, they will start loosing power.

Reactions: screambowl
The entire Indian opposition to the LTTE is based primarily on your point no 1 followed by their war on the IPKF.

As far as their killing Tamils go , there were more than a dozen Eelam groups operating out of TN & SL in the 80's most of whom were exterminated by the LTTE. That didn't prevent Indian intelligence & the state supporting them although they weren't too comfortable with this internecine warfare & LTTE's policy .

Point 2 & 4 needs to be substantiated for they're baseless in my opinion. The SL Tamil diaspora in the west were extorted coz they had kin back home not the Indian Tamil diaspora whom the LTTE neither targeted nor could they extort. Having said that there were expatriate Tamils of Indian origin who did extend support to the LTTE in spite of the Indian state's opposition to it & it's being proscribed post RG's assassination.

This ban is the reason why action was undertaken against the LTTE apart from SL prompting I suppose , which is why I'm suggesting we relax our vigil.

Perhaps the GoI is playing the waiting game to see how far is SL willing to withstand Chinese pressure.

1. India pulled material and intelligence support from LTTE when LTTE went after Indian assets. Banning LTTE came much later.
2. Tying burning rubber around necks of Indian soldiers and letting them melt wasn't human rights violation?

Reactions: Paro
There's no sarcasm there . It was in response to your rather naive statement that in today's world India can ill afford to back such proscribed organisations which wasn't my stance at all . I merely called for India to look the other way & cited the example of the US .

Your answer seems to suggest that you still harbour doubts in the this regard. It's an established fact that both Turkey & Qatar were behind financing & arming ISIS. This couldn't have been possible without US knowledge or in all probability at the behest of the US .
No, you understood wrongly. I have no doubts on Turkey which was directly responsible for arranging not only funds & weapons but also logistics.

1. India pulled material and intelligence support from LTTE when LTTE went after Indian assets. Banning LTTE came much later.

2. Tying burning rubber around necks of Indian soldiers and letting them melt wasn't human rights violation?
Yes it did . But when did India ban the LTTE & why ?
No, you understood wrongly. I have no doubts on Turkey which was directly responsible for arranging not only funds & weapons but also logistics.
Yes & do you think they'd do it without the knowledge or permission of the US ?

Yes it did . But when did India ban the LTTE & why ?

Yes & do you think they'd do it without the knowledge or permission of the US ?
If I am correct, India was the first country to ban LTTE in 1991, however RAW pulled out its support in end of 1980s, probably around mid 1987 when LTTE went after Indian assets and attacks against IPFK.

If I am correct, India was the first country to ban LTTE in 1991, however RAW pulled out its support in end of 1980s, probably around mid 1987 when LTTE went after Indian assets and attacks against IPFK.
Precisely. We didnt ban the LTTE even after they killed 1500 of our soldiers . We did so only after they assassinated our ex PM.

Unable to understand, where is the disagreement then?
Disagreement is your stand we should have nothing to do with them for which you cited a whole host of reasons without working out why did we opt to support the Eelam groups in the first place.

It all started when SL in clear opposition to India's concerns not to harbour elements inimical to India's interests. The then Government of SL decided to host Voice of America which was a CIA front organization in opposition to Indian objections. In addition to that it openly sided with Pakistan during the 1971 war providing refuelling facilities to their ships & planes then .

It's only after these steps apart from other anti India measures in addition to their open discrimination against the Tamils there - of SL & Indian origin even after India signed an accord with SL, took back a majority of those plantation Tamils back & rehabilitated them .

Once open rebellion broke out in SL , India decided to cut SL down to size . That's the genesis of Indian support to SL Tamil groups.

A few decades later SL or in particular the Rajapakses are back to the same old game game giving China unprecedented access & working against Indian economic & strategic interests.

It's been more than a decade that the civil war has ended . The SL government is bound by law & the Indo SL accord to set up a local governing body to administer Tamil majority areas. They've been postponing it on one pretext or another. In the light of the above information ,What exactly do you suggest we do ?

Disagreement is your stand we should have nothing to do with them for which you cited a whole host of reasons without working out why did we opt to support the Eelam groups in the first place.
Divide & rule policy of Ex PM of India within Sri Lanka and India. Supporting six different extremist groups to entrench India in Sri Lanka and keep Tamils divided to not allow them to become a threat for Indian polity and Indians safety. Where did it lead us to? It's slippery slope on which we don't have any control once it gets out of hand. Similar tactic was adopted by another Ex Indian PM in Punjab, same results. I have given real life example of my cousin experience in NE still facing the similar results.

If Indian intelligence community is going after LTTE current members, I have no doubt it is definitely in our interests.

Note: I am not averse to Indian intelligence ops of divide and rule policy, just not within India's borders.

Nobody wins a war at home, that's a loss if war comes to our shores. War should always be fought on foreign lands to protect Indian interests, that's where I differ.

• Agree
Divide & rule policy of Ex PM of India within Sri Lanka and India. Supporting six different extremist groups to entrench India in Sri Lanka and keep Tamils divided to not allow them to become a threat for Indian polity and Indians safety. Where did it lead us to? It's slippery slope on which we don't have any control once it gets out of hand. Similar tactic was adopted by another Ex Indian PM in Punjab, same results. I have given real life example of my cousin experience in NE still facing the similar results.

True. But we did it in the first place because the Lankans left us no choice. We seem to be going in the same direction today except we haven't reached that far now . Hopefully we don't go down that road again but I'm not too optimistic about this.
If Indian intelligence community is going after LTTE current members, I have no doubt it is definitely in our interests.
GoI must have it's own reasons to crack down on the LTTE. I'm sure this has little to do with what they plan to undertake in SL.
Note: I am not averse to Indian intelligence ops of divide and rule policy, just not within India's borders.
If we host them it'd be within our borders. Secondly most of those arrested were SL Nationals.

• Agree
Reactions: RISING SUN
Nobody wins a war at home, that's a loss if war comes to our shores. War should always be fought on foreign lands to protect Indian interests, that's where I differ.

Indian defence scenario is like Indian cricket, do well on Indian pitch and lose all matches on foreign pitch due to lack of confidence. But the opposition has to win just one time to make whole 1 Billion feel inferior.

While Praveen Swami usually has his own take on issues courtesy his foundational years with The Hindu & The Print its own agenda I agree with his assessment here that the Centre is deliberately ignoring the rise of the PFI .

We've had instances in the past most notably in Punjab where in order to suppress one kind of fanaticism a more extreme kind was encouraged. We've seen what it led to .

I can only imagine what the future holds for states like Kerala the heart of the PFI movement.

Reactions: Paro