INS Vikrant (IAC1) & INS Vikramaditya - News & Discussions

Isn't the "antenna" on the front MF-STAR actually the Varuna ESM ?
Where are you getting this from ? o_O
Mounting anything infront of a antenna that is not radar transparent should cause all kinds of problems. Especially if the radar is as powerful as the MF-STAR.
It actually is. Divided into two halves for 360 degree coverage. It’s kind of distributed aperture now.
I know that. I was talking about how flat the radar antenna looks. MF-STAR's radome (antenna cover) has a rounded appearance.

Kolkata class :
1628092936196.png

Saar 6 class:
1628093021391.png

The size of the radome may vary, but they all have the characteristic rounded shape.

Recvd via WA

Rear Admiral Philipose Pynumootil making the maiden landing with Seaking helicopter onboard indigenously built Aircraft carrier to be christened Vikrant built by Kochi Shipyard

Attachments

• VID-20210804-WA0012.mp4
    10.3 MB
  • VID-20210804-WA0012.mp4
    10.3 MB
Where are you getting this from ? o_O
Mounting anything infront of a antenna that is not radar transparent should cause all kinds of problems. Especially if the radar is as powerful as the MF-STAR.

I know that. I was talking about how flat the radar antenna looks. MF-STAR's radome (antenna cover) has a rounded appearance.

Kolkata class :
View attachment 20463
Saar 6 class:
View attachment 20465
The size of the radome may vary, but they all have the characteristic rounded shape.
Not necessary I believe
ROKS Dokdo class LPH have same MF STAR with flat circular pan
A19A39BE-FEB9-4CF0-AD63-001A7AB6717F.jpeg

Also this site is reserved for Radar in original design itself

F165FCA0-4EFF-4DE6-90F7-13D72982C218.jpeg

in below picture radar is covered by protective covering
6F1D3F67-B79D-4677-8240-C2D383D13A9C.jpeg
A5027F69-305A-4DB0-A282-A64E8FF1FDE0.png
D3B35E5A-724A-4096-9A37-91DC08CA908A.png

Not necessary I believe
ROKS Dokdo class LPH have same MF STAR with flat circular pan
Nope not flat. In fact it is quite similar to the Kolkata class

1628190648637.png

Also this site is reserved for Radar in original design itself
I know the site is reserved, I am wondering if they fitted the radar yet. There were some rumours of the MF-STAR integration being delayed due to supply issues due to COVID.
in below picture radar is covered by protective covering
Protective cover over a radar is usually called a radome.

That doesn't look like a radome at all. Radomes are usually made of ceramic or composite materials having very low dielectric constant. This is to reduce interference & energy losses.

The photo shows a makeshift cover of sheet metal/alloy. Metal/alloy sheets are horrible choice of material for making radomes. Metals get electrically charged when subjected to powerful EM waves. These charges will ten interfere with radar signals creating a very cluttered radar picture.

Nope not flat. In fact it is quite similar to the Kolkata class

View attachment 20485

I know the site is reserved, I am wondering if they fitted the radar yet. There were some rumours of the MF-STAR integration being delayed due to supply issues due to COVID.

Protective cover over a radar is usually called a radome.

That doesn't look like a radome at all. Radomes are usually made of ceramic or composite materials having very low dielectric constant. This is to reduce interference & energy losses.

The photo shows a makeshift cover of sheet metal/alloy. Metal/alloy sheets are horrible choice of material for making radomes. Metals get electrically charged when subjected to powerful EM waves. These charges will ten interfere with radar signals creating a very cluttered radar picture.
It seems you are right. Its quite possible that it’s just a makeshift cover and not radome and the radar is still not integrated.

@Picdelamirand-oil @randomradio @vstol Jockey

Both Rafale & SH are out of consideration for a reason.
Don't know why people are so much against import, if the item we import is top notch & essential for capability increase, we should go for it.

Primarily those who are not in the military are against imports. It's all about ego and pride, zero prudence. Otherwise vested interests.

Jha has no real arguments against imports. He's one of those who'd rather lose a war than import, or is simply far too ignorant to understand the gravity of his opinions. We see plenty of such people on this forum too.

As for HVT, he's obviously speaking up for HAL and not the IN. TEDBF is expected to be operable on both carriers, hence imports will eat into TEDBF orders.

Anyway, SH can fit on Vikrant's lifts and one of Vikram's lifts. A squadron under lease will give us at least half the number for use on a carrier at any one time and can complement the Mig-29Ks. And a squadron of SHs will be better than 2 new squadrons of Mig-29s. Plus it has already undergone STOBAR tests, so we know it works. The interoperability with the USN also helps.

Rafale is useless for both carriers.