Indian Railways Junction

T
All High Speed (Bullet train project) and semi high speed (RRTS) seems to be picking standard guage over broad guage.
That is the result of importing tech instead of developing it yourself.

Shinkasen-
Its understandable, japanese are the most suited parteners for various reasons. Could be some under-the-table type of deal too. But since they operate all their trains in standard guage, we don't have any other option. All the others (chinese, europeans) operate with same track width due to historical reasons.

RRTS-
Now this is the project where they could have gone for broad gauge, since t18 is rated for 180 kmph too. Dunno why they went for standard guage. Could be economics. Could be commonality with parts and spares since majority of delhi metro is standard guage too.

We operate with the widest tracks in the world that measures in thousands of kms, but we won't be running any fast trains on them cause we don't develop anything on our own. Everything related to semi or high speed railway is imported and as a result we'll have to lay down new tracks and abandon our old tracks. God help us.

Reactions: vingensys
Pre Bid meetings have taken place for works relating Ahmedabad-Mumbai High Speed Rail project. The final awarding of works will happen soon.

Reactions: Gautam
T

That is the result of importing tech instead of developing it yourself.

Shinkasen-
Its understandable, japanese are the most suited parteners for various reasons. Could be some under-the-table type of deal too. But since they operate all their trains in standard guage, we don't have any other option. All the others (chinese, europeans) operate with same track width due to historical reasons.

RRTS-
Now this is the project where they could have gone for broad gauge, since t18 is rated for 180 kmph too. Dunno why they went for standard guage. Could be economics. Could be commonality with parts and spares since majority of delhi metro is standard guage too.

We operate with the widest tracks in the world that measures in thousands of kms, but we won't be running any fast trains on them cause we don't develop anything on our own. Everything related to semi or high speed railway is imported and as a result we'll have to lay down new tracks and abandon our old tracks. God help us.
Shinkansen because europian HSR designs can't take large number of passengers like it does. Plus japanese involvement in DMIC , 80% loan. Also remember UPA initiated the project not this government.

Reactions: Ankit Kumar
Shinkansen because europian HSR designs can't take large number of passengers like it does. Plus japanese involvement in DMIC , 80% loan. Also remember UPA initiated the project not this government.
A lot of people are pushing for Chennai- Bengaluru - Mysuru proposal to be the next HSR project to be sanctioned. But with Covid and other lobbies at work, I don't think that will happen. Delhi - Agra might be next though.

I get the Shinkasen, no problem there. I'm aware of the multiple reasons (low interest loan, etc, etc) that got shinkasen selected but RRTS is a missed opportunity. Its something that could have been achieved in collaboration with ICF chennai.

Reactions: vingensys
I get the Shinkasen, no problem there. I'm aware of the multiple reasons (low interest loan, etc, etc) that got shinkasen selected but RRTS is a missed opportunity. Its something that could have been achieved in collaboration with ICF chennai.
Doesn't look like it's feasible to build a whole new set of tracks for semi HSR all across the country. The HSR is a different matter altogether.There must be something we've missed out here.

I don't think i know enough on this. From my understanding, RRTS is more like a speedy suburban rail with metro features. Shorter distance, a high number of stops, and the capacity to carry more passengers. Comfort is less of a requirement compared to HSR because of the distance.

Check this document : https://ncrtc.in/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Presentation-on-RRTS.pdf

Screenshot_2020-05-13 Microsoft PowerPoint - Logistics Meet 16 09 2019_By Sudhir Sharma Sir - ...png

Will be certified for MPS of 130kmph or 110kmph depending upon the section.
That still reduces the speed by half. I was under the impression they were in the 180-200 kph category. The latter ensures rapid transit to attend office 180 kms away within 2 hours. Would be a real boost to the economy too. We can't have semi HSR everywhere. Then again why is everything above 150 kph categorised as semi HSR in India? The bandwidth should be at least 200-300 kph with HSR being 350 kph & above.

That still reduces the speed by half. I was under the impression they were in the 180-200 kph category. The latter ensures rapid transit to attend office 180 kms away within 2 hours. Would be a real boost to the economy too. We can't have semi HSR everywhere. Then again why is everything above 150 kph categorised as semi HSR in India? The bandwidth should be at least 200-300 kph with HSR being 350 kph & above.
These are to replace the intercity express and conventionally pulled 8-12 rake trains. These majorly serve those who struggle to make ends meet. We cannot take their only means of transportation and replace it with something they cannot afford.

For places where middle class is more, which can pay, we will have 160kmph capability rakes. But those will be limited.
One more thing, everything needs money. While Goods transportation shows solid returns on paper, therefore getting easy funding options, same is not the case for passenger segment.

Progress in passenger segment will be slow.

Reactions: _Anonymous_
What does the B stand for ? 6 in total so far or 6 this year ? The target this year was 35.
The initial pair had a derailment during testing, after that modifications were made to the locomotive. And all the locomotives after that are to be named as B variant.

Reactions: Gautam