Indian Railways Junction

It will be an issue and its a genuine one. Maharashtra needs to spend equal share as of Gujrat. But Gujrat gets all of its major cities and industrial region connected while Maharashtra gets only Mumbai. Its a bit unfair.
Might be an issue, but PMO directly looks into its progress every month. Things will be done at all costs.

Semi High Speed is not the no1 priority. 100% electrification is. Gauge conversion and electrification status is also directly checked by PMO every month.

As and when WDFC and EDFC gets operational, Railways will be able to do funding for upgrade to semi high speed for trunk routes to and from Delhi initially. By that time the Southern railway boards have been directed to patch up their non electrified regions. As and when that happens, they will start receiving newer under development MEMU train sets to replace all the under 6hr trains. And dual headed WAP5 might find their way too.

I know but it is the need of the hour. Take the case of Kannur to Bangalore line. It has to go thru coiambatore, a far longer route. just a line from Kannur to Mysore will create one of the shortest routes to Bangalore from any point in Kerala. Similarly, Madikeri to Mangalore is what is missing. If we can make rail route to Kashmir, I am sure these sections will be a cake walk.
Yes, Kerala CM was pushing for it but people from kodagu opposed. I don't think this line will ever happen without a full Karnataka state support effort. The whole malabar does not have a rail route and the bus mafia taking full advantage.

Not enough traffic from Kannur to bangalore to justify a semi high speed line now. Maybe 2 decades down the line when urbanization increases tremendously down South.
You first need a regular line before SHSR. :confused:

• Agree
Reactions: R!cK
Yes, Kerala CM was pushing for it but people from kodagu opposed. I don't think this line will ever happen without a full Karnataka state support effort. The whole malabar does not have a rail route and the bus mafia taking full advantage.

You first need a regular line before SHSR. :confused:
You can always opt for the Coimbatore - Salem route to Bangalore instead of Coorg.

I know but it is the need of the hour. Take the case of Kannur to Bangalore line. It has to go thru coiambatore, a far longer route. just a line from Kannur to Mysore will create one of the shortest routes to Bangalore from any point in Kerala. Similarly, Madikeri to Mangalore is what is missing. If we can make rail route to Kashmir, I am sure these sections will be a cake walk.

With the exception of Chennai and Hyderabad, Karnataka is not really open to making access to other states a high priority. Too many immigrants. Rather Karnataka is most definitely interested in connecting to all other cities within Karnataka.

There will actually be protests if a Kerala-Karnataka route is unveiled. People will ask for intrastate connectivity first, before going for interstate.

• Agree
Reactions: _Anonymous_
With the exception of Chennai and Hyderabad, Karnataka is not really open to making access to other states a high priority. Too many immigrants. Rather Karnataka is most definitely interested in connecting to all other cities within Karnataka.

There will actually be protests if a Kerala-Karnataka route is unveiled. People will ask for intrastate connectivity first, before going for interstate.
somehow Kannadigas are more friendly with Tamils than Keralites.

I did not say about Kannur only. I meant whole of Kerala. The shortest possible rail route to Bangalore from any place in Kerala os via Kannur.
View attachment 15204

That red route into Kannur is unlikely to happen. Forest area, Nagarhole and Bandipur parks. Actually the entire region from Kasargod to Coimbatore is just hills and national parks.

The blue route is the easiest and most likely.

That red route into Kannur is unlikely to happen. Forest area, Nagarhole and Bandipur parks. Actually the entire region from Kasargod to Coimbatore is just hills and national parks.

The blue route is the easiest and most likely.
The blue route is the existing route. DMRC chairman had also suggested the route which I created with redline. He proposed a 10km long tunnel under the wildlife park.

Frankly, from whatever I've seen & heard from my kin in Karnataka , it's more difficult to like a Tamilian than it's to like a Malayali, not that the latter are likeable in any way.
In Bengaluru it doesn't matter much. But there are still people who even discriminate against people from north Karnataka. So some people from other states wilk surely have 1 off experience.

And what about Telugus?
They mix better. But still one can see the difference. Even in my engineering classes, differences are marked. All the Andhra/Telangana/Tamil guys are more comfortable together and are usually 1/3rd , then the guys from Karnataka forming rest 1/3rd and all the other Ganga belt, Marathi guys and Jatts from Haryana/Delhi we are usually together.

And what about Telugus?
From what I understand, there's no enmity with the Andhras. Basically, Tamils see themselves as the salt of the earth and self proclaimed leader & custodian of South Indian culture. Kannadigas would tell them to take a hike. Has always been so though out history.Check on the Chalukyas & their wars with the Pandyas & Cholas. Later when the Cholas were strong they gave the Karnataka based dynasties good. Finally came the Vijay Nagar Empire & it's subjugation of everything South of Tungabhadra. So it's historical.

Back in the 1990's when the Cauvery river agitation was at its peak too & TN was rabble rousing a Kannada chauvinist group went on the rampage in Bangalore targeting Tamil establishments. Bangalore in the 1990's could be categorised as 1/4th Tamil. Most of the local economy was Tamil dominated.

Most of the development & cosmopolitanism you see is all the result of Y2K & the IT based companies there. Otherwise, it was one big sleepy pensioners Paradise till upto 2000. I recall the first time I had sweet corn crab soup in a 5 star hotel in the mid 90's , they had sugar in it. Needless to say the chef was Tamil. That symbolised Bangalore to me.

In Bengaluru it doesn't matter much. But there are still people who even discriminate against people from north Karnataka. So some people from other states wilk surely have 1 off experience.
That's coz most Kannadigas are linguistic chauvinists. Up North there is a dual language culture of Marathi & Kannada with ppl refusing to endorse either tongue as their mother tongue. Something which gets the gall of ppl located in the deep South. Believe it or not, the actual number of ppl who claim Kannada as their mother tongue would be 60-70% . That's an exception for a Southern state & a very touchy issue.

Not with both. Neither respect the local language and culture, so both are hated. And with TN, we have water dispute.
So, how many North Indians speak Kannada in Bangalore? Or Gujjus for that matter? Or even Bongs or other NE guys for that matter. I've never see them complain of discrimination, not that they're completely exempted from it.
It takes 3x time.

Its geography.
Too bad. Karnataka isn't going to oblige Kerala anytime soon. Kerala might as well develop it's own SHSR & link up with TN to form clusters - industrial, residential, academic & commercial.

So, how many North Indians speak Kannada in Bangalore? Or Gujjus for that matter? Or even Bongs or other NE guys for that matter. I've never see them complain of discrimination, not that they're completely exempted from it.

North Indians in general are most definitely hated.

Discrimination does happen here, but it's quite muted and doesn't really affect your lifestyle as such. But within private companies, they create a cultural monopoly and just 1 group ends up dominating the entire hierarchy. So all groups discriminate against the other groups within this setting. For the general public, an auto driver may refuse to take you if you do not speak Kannada, or even attempt to. It's not really serious though.

The blue route is the existing route. DMRC chairman had also suggested the route which I created with redline. He proposed a 10km long tunnel under the wildlife park.

Karnataka is more focused on developing the Bangalore-Chennai and Bangalore-Coimbatore routes instead.

If Karnataka and Kerala get their own dedicated route, then this will create a new industrial competition for both TN and Karnataka. Plus, in commie land, nothing works, so neither state really wants to work with Kerala when it comes to manufacturing.

Mumbai and Kerala are connected via the Konkan Railway though.

North Indians in general are most definitely hated.

Discrimination does happen here, but it's quite muted and doesn't really affect your lifestyle as such. But within private companies, they create a cultural monopoly and just 1 group ends up dominating the entire hierarchy. So all groups discriminate against the other groups within this setting. For the general public, an auto driver may refuse to take you if you do not speak Kannada, or even attempt to. It's not really serious though.
One surprising thing about south is that they all are together in Hating Punjabis but have less hatred for Haryanavis. In fact, when I travel to BLR, I make it a point to speak in Hindi or English and be Loud. It helps always.

One surprising thing about south is that they all are together in Hating Punjabis but have less hatred for Haryanavis. In fact, when I travel to BLR, I make it a point to speak in Hindi or English and be Loud. It helps always.

Bangalore is a problem only for the young folk, especially the ones who come from the North and behave like a typical arrogant North Indian. Those are the people who face the brunt of the discrimination. The ones who attempt to integrate are treated very well. Middle age and above are all fine, they don't face issues.

It's because Bangalore is an immigrant city.

But there are issues pertaining to low skilled and unskilled jobs. Lots of job related discrimination here.