Indian Missiles and Munitions Discussion

Also there is IFF onboard all fighters , it's for a specific purpose - to determine (identification) friend or foe , in case no response SOP is it is hostile
You do realise that the reliable range of IFF usually is somewhere like approx 150km. Beyond that failures to get response gets higher.

And I believe that IAF goes for the positive identification system. It means that if a response is generated , it confirms the aircraft is positively friendly. But its absence doesn't positively qualify as enemy. British also work on similar lines I think.

• Informative
Reactions: Paro
Generally when people look at those figures they think of range

I think of its NEZ

SFDR whole point is energy management which in turn leads to a expanded NEZ

If any unfortunate aircraft gets into the NEZ , it's escape probability will be low , because the missile will possess enough reserve to generate the kinematics performance required to defeat any attempts at out maneuvering

To think in terms of range for a AAM is a frutile effort of sorts because of the ambiguity in terms of the associated parameters
I agree, If you are only considering the range and weight, you are not doing justice to the technology used in the missile... The Ramjet technology used in SFDR gives the same advantage that Meteor missiles do — the speed and agility remain constant across the complete flight profile.

No

SFDR will be more potent than Astra mk1 mk2 in terms of kinematic performance and NEZ
Wow good to know that we are going to have an absolute potent weapon in our hand. My assertion was due to ramjet A2A missiles being less maneuverable than rocket powered ones and also the fact that a triple pulsed motor A2A missile is reportedly under development by DRDO. Anyway if SFDR can also be used against fighters than certainly IAF will now dominate the airspace against PLAAF.
But i wonder how useful will be development of triple pulsed motor A2A missile if SFDR is already there for long ranges against fighters?

FWQB7W3agAE8Atx

Astra mk3 weight of ~220kg is a respectable number.

Key role of Hyderabad firm in making indigenous anti-tank missile

VEM Tech is part of the Centre’s Make in India scheme

The country’s first indigenous anti-tank missile ‘Asibal’ conceptualised, designed and manufactured in the private sector is going to be manufactured at the city-based VEM Technologies upcoming integrated defence systems facility at National Investment Manufacturing Zone (NIMZ) at Zaheerabad in Sangareddy district, about 120 km from the capital.

“It has been under development for the past few years in association with the Ministry of Defence (MoD) and public sector Munitions India Ltd. supplying the warhead, it is undergoing tests at different places. Once final approvals are in place, we can go for production. We have the licence to develop 10,000 tactile missiles a year,” said founder, chairman and managing director V. Venkat Raju, in an exclusive interaction.

“It is a dream come true for me to establish an integrated defence systems manufacturing facility within nine months of having a pact with the Telangana government. It could be the among the biggest in the private sector and if everything falls in place, we could have 1 million sq.ft work space ready by 2024-25 to begin operations,” he said.

VEM Tech is part of the Centre’s ‘Make in India’ scheme and is into “every vertical” like electronics, sensors, servo systems, rocket systems, onboard computers, three types of infra red, laser and RF seekers, missile systems, etc., with its first facility functioning at Shamshabad.
The 56-year-old entrepreneur said it is proposed to have 1,000-foot long hangar facility to develop the main fuselage for the Light Combat Aircraft and also develop the airframe for the Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft.

A joint venture is proposed to be taken up with a US-based firm for making long range sniper rifles and a drone system with another foreign firm. “By 2029, our firm intends to develop some level of integrating a fighter aircraft. We have orders worth up to ₹1,000 crore,” disclosed Mr. Raju.
The firm eventually plans to have 20 million sq.ft built up space with 40 km of internal roads and green cover with 10,000 saplings across the 511-acre space. “We will not have any township as it is a defence set-up,” he explained.

“All this is the result of sacrifices by my family. It is not easy to be in defence field as we have to have knowledge, technology and compete with the best in the world. We have invested every penny into this company,” smiles the soft spoken Mr. Raju, who started as an trainee in a Patancheru unit in the 80s.