Indian Missiles and Munitions Discussion

From the recent interactions it seems Solar group is going into missiles very much, though it is not clear if they mean as arti long range rockets or sole quasi ballistic missile type, but with improvement in rocket motor making, propellant & DRDO expertise willing to work with Pvt companies, plus emergence of space startups, we can definitely hope it can give indigenous missile sector a big push. If Solar is successful, BDL will have to up their game too, same goes for L&T.

Reactions: Fatalis
Any guess if its related to R2 or R3, assuming NGARM does not need further testing (and an order of 1400crores on the horizon)
This is an active tender for 1 week notice given these are ready to use supply from vendor, hence misc. I think these are usually ordered at much latter stage of projects.

Screenshot.png

4. MP-ATGM : Under Development Trials

5. Amogha : Final Stages of Development Trials

6. NAG : Development Trials completed, awaiting RFP from IA
MP ATGM is under developmental trials since last 4 yrs God knows what they are testing ,after that user trials and long wait for piecemeal orders so it's easily another 4-5 yrs affair. Don't expect it entering servicing before 2028-29 pathetic.

Why can't they merge both developmental and user trials and complete them within short period of time these endless trials are hurting our war preparedness.

I think the timelines are affected by shortage of enough capable scientists & tech stuffs too. Due to that, covid & restrictions there has been some big delays. RM office did mention openly that DRDO has not been able to maintain timeline well so far & there are delays in a lot of projects. Still if we look many pending projects were tested this year. Dr Kamat did say during defexpo that he expects MPATGM to be inducted in next 2 years.
certain changes are also made as you said I think, like dev trials & user trials being done together, prototypes made production ready as much possible. Now pvt companies are production partners so that should also speed up the process. Before DRDO would do the tech, transfer it to psu who would absorb it & then make the product. That is going to change.

I think the timelines are affected by shortage of enough capable scientists & tech stuffs too. Due to that, covid & restrictions there has been some big delays. RM office did mention openly that DRDO has not been able to maintain timeline well so far & there are delays in a lot of projects. Still if we look many pending projects were tested this year. Dr Kamat did say during defexpo that he expects MPATGM to be inducted in next 2 years.
certain changes are also made as you said I think, like dev trials & user trials being done together, prototypes made production ready as much possible. Now pvt companies are production partners so that should also speed up the process. Before DRDO would do the tech, transfer it to psu who would absorb it & then make the product. That is going to change.
Rudram 2 development was supposed to be completed in 2020 but after two yrs they are procuring it's IIR seeker same case with NASM SR as well, they should procure these components within developmental time period so that only testing is left afterwards.

Reactions: marich01
Recent tender for flow forming mandrel for rocket motor casing seems to be SMART related, not sam program as I thought initially. Work period is 580 days if not mistaken.

mandrel1.png

mandrel2.png

MP ATGM is under developmental trials since last 4 yrs God knows what they are testing ,after that user trials and long wait for piecemeal orders so it's easily another 4-5 yrs affair. Don't expect it entering servicing before 2028-29 pathetic.

Why can't they merge both developmental and user trials and complete them within short period of time these endless trials are hurting our war preparedness.
Got this from the other forum
Screenshot_20221020-112927_Chrome.jpg

20221221_233026.jpg

Raflanker on Twitter pointed out that this might be the guidance radar for VL-SRSAM.

If that is the case then what we are seeing here might be the new X-band radar explicitly developed for VL-SRSAM.

I can see 2-3 fixed faces mounted on a mast.

Approvals for procurement of Naval Anti-Ship Missiles, Multi-Purpose Vessels and High Endurance Autonomous Vehicles will further enhance maritime strength giving boost to Indian Navy’s capabilities.

Indian Air Force will be further strengthened with enhanced lethal capabilities by induction of new range of missile system, Long Range Guided Bombs, Range Augmentation Kit for conventional bombs and advanced surveillance systems.

Approvals for procurement of Naval Anti-Ship Missiles, Multi-Purpose Vessels and High Endurance Autonomous Vehicles will further enhance maritime strength giving boost to Indian Navy’s capabilities.

Indian Air Force will be further strengthened with enhanced lethal capabilities by induction of new range of missile system, Long Range Guided Bombs, Range Augmentation Kit for conventional bombs and advanced surveillance systems.

Why do they consider screwdrivegiri as indigenous do they also consider others as dumb like them.

Looking back old stuff thru weekend always spring some surprise, stuff i had seen before but completely forgotten stand out the most.

Screenshot (5).png

remember the IAF video where we saw astra mk2 separation few month ago? many (me included) were surprised with the first time view. I remember seeing this last year and also forget as well. It takes like 6-8 months from procuring materials, parts etc to testing, depending on nature of project.
I have always liked DRDL complete project specific approach. Everything they do they tag in clear specific manner. So hoping for a full mk2 test in early 2023 & also test from Tejas , these are under work from September

Screenshot (2).png

Screenshot (4).png

Screenshot (1).png

Screenshot (1).png

Does anyone know why the Prahaar missile, as shown in the defexpo model, has got 4 canard fins near the top, but those fins were not visible in the test pictures and videos, from 2018? Might be too small to view but most videos from 2018 I could not spot those small fins. See the below vayu tweet Prahaar pic

Could it be the upgraded Prahaar which our army wants? Army wants Prahaar to have 200kms range and as per the brochure of this missile, well, lets take a look:

Screenshot_20221226-231623_Chrome.jpg

@randomradio @_Anonymous_ @Ashwin

Could this be the Pranash or Prahaar 2 which army wants? As per DRDO brochure it's max range of 200kms(exactly what army demanded for).

Yeah its possible, those 2 R-III & that Prahaar models were shown outside, felt like brand new upcoming stuff. I was just curious about those small fins. That would suggest it is capable of very good maneuver to evade air defense, right?

Reactions: Rajput Lion