Indian Missiles and Munitions Discussion

Well, well, well now isn't this some good news?
Good news indeed. I wonder if we will get some photos. New photos should tell use how much commonality the ITCM has with Nirbhay. Wasn't there an article stating the range of the ITCM ? I forget what the targeted range was.
Btw, is our 'Manik' Turbofan Engine totally, completely IDDM? Or is some collaboration, JV or tech absorption was/is absorbed?
Completely designed/built in house. GTRE has enough expertise to design small engines like STFE. It the larger ones that remain problematic.

Good news indeed. I wonder if we will get some photos. New photos should tell use how much commonality the ITCM has with Nirbhay. Wasn't there an article stating the range of the ITCM ? I forget what the targeted range was.

Completely designed/built in house. GTRE has enough expertise to design small engines like STFE. It the larger ones that remain problematic.

No photos then, well that's disappointing. The 150km would be disturbing if the ITCM & Nirbhay had the exact same size/weight/range.

If it is a new missile with a different airframe/range/weight, then the 1st test missile flying 150km is pretty ok. If its a new missile you would have to validate the airframe, solid boosters, intake design etc. Then the next tests can focus on sensors, range etc. ITCM was touted to be a new longer ranged missile & Nirbhay project was closed.

As such ITCM should be bigger & heavier than the Nirbhay. But this is based on a single media article & we all know how reliable the Indian media can be in defence reporting. However, there are some reasons to believe DRDO will go for a longer ranged LACM. There is obviously a need for such missiles & with the 450kgf turbofan Manik engine we have the propulsion system needed for such a missile.

But these are conjectures based on a single article. We can't say anything for sure without at least one photo.

No photos then, well that's disappointing. The 150km would be disturbing if the ITCM & Nirbhay had the exact same size/weight/range.

If it is a new missile with a different airframe/range/weight, then the 1st test missile flying 150km is pretty ok. If its a new missile you would have to validate the airframe, solid boosters, intake design etc. Then the next tests can focus on sensors, range etc. ITCM was touted to be a new longer ranged missile & Nirbhay project was closed.

As such ITCM should be bigger & heavier than the Nirbhay. But this is based on a single media article & we all know how reliable the Indian media can be in defence reporting. However, there are some reasons to believe DRDO will go for a longer ranged LACM. There is obviously a need for such missiles & with the 450kgf turbofan Manik engine we have the propulsion system needed for such a missile.

But these are conjectures based on a single article. We can't say anything for sure without at least one photo.
If I’m not mistaken, this test was mainly meant for validation of the Manik engine

If I’m not mistaken, this test was mainly meant for validation of the Manik engine
Hasn't that happened already ? The last Nirbhay flight on June 24, 2021 was also for the same reason. Maybe this test is about validation of the engine coupled with a new airframe & intake. Again all of this is just guesswork. Why can't they release a photo ?😭

Reactions: Chain Smoker
Hasn't that happened already ? The last Nirbhay flight on June 24, 2021 was also for the same reason. Maybe this test is about validation of the engine coupled with a new airframe & intake. Again all of this is just guesswork. Why can't they release a photo ?😭
Many deny it even happened so I don’t know

specifications of ITCM as per various tenders.

weight- 1000 kg
Diameter- 505mm
length- 5600mm

The nose is more pointed signalling higher cruise speed (or terminal velocity).

Payload is the same.
The equipment bay and fuel tank is much smaller.

The engine and intake section has seen refinement not much different.

weight- 1000 kg
Diameter- 505mm
length- 5600mm

Payload is the same.

The most important parameter will be the Minimum Altitude , that is the key to avoid detection and destroy Enemy SAM sites

Many deny it even happened so I don’t know
Indeed, lot of confusion about that test. No photos released then either.

ITCM-03 ?? Where is 01 & 02 ? Wait, was the previous Nirbhay test actually an ITCM test ?

The new upgraded seeker was also tested, that 150km range makes sense now. Seeker tests don't need to be long ranged. This is getting more complicated.

Why would you put a new seeker on a new missile that can crash? Under normal development cycle, you have to be reasonably certain of a missile's flight characteristics before testing new seekers on them. Otherwise the data generated may be affected by the missile & thus be considered unreliable.

Does this mean that DRDO is reasonably assured about the ITCM's flight characteristics ? How ? Isn't this the 1st flight of the ITCM ? The airframe is not that different from Nirbhay then.:confused:

weight- 1000 kg
Diameter- 505mm
length- 5600mm

Payload is the same.

Wait the ITCM is smaller than the Nirbhay ? We will end up with the same 1500 km range won't we ?:cautious:
What was the need of a new project ?

Do you have any photos/diagrams of the ITCM from the tenders ?

Reactions: Chain Smoker
Some missiles/munitions have satlink with the GAGAN system. There was a plan to augment that with IRNSS/NAVIK. Not sure how that is going.
I mean can these missiles send battle damage assessment back and can communicate with other satcom enabled drones, missiles, aircraft etc. Like this.

I mean can these missiles send battle damage assessment back and can communicate with other satcom enabled drones, missiles, aircraft etc. Like this.
No clue. But Raytheon was involved with the development of the GAGAN system. At least the civilian part of the GAGAN, not sure if they were involved with the military part.

Raytheon: GAGAN System reaches certification milestone in India - Feb 6, 2014