Indian Missiles and Munitions Discussion

Astra is a mission mode project that's why its progress has been kept silent from the media by both GOI & DRDO. We haven't even heard/read a single report about its test firing, but it's common logic to guess that it has already been test fired. Alpha Defense has proven to be quite reliable till now, so I tend to trust him.
Project type has no relation to secrecy. It means that the fundamental technologies for the project have already been realized, so they are confident in delivering quickly in "mission mode" in a timely manner. Almost all projects we follow are MM projects.

Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 9.07.29 PM.png

Well I don't know exct status of mk2, but mk1 at least in delivery stage and from DRDL perspective, has reached APS ie Astra product service stage in the Project Astra. Mk2 related tenders definitely came out several times throughout this FY so that is also definitely at very advanced stage.
BDL even released tender for missile painting of mk1, ie next batch of delivery also near.

Reactions: Rajput Lion
Well I don't know exct status of mk2, but mk1 at least in delivery stage and from DRDL perspective, has reached APS ie Astra product service stage in the Project Astra. Mk2 related tenders definitely came out several times throughout this FY so that is also definitely at very advanced stage.
BDL even released tender for missile painting of mk1, ie next batch of delivery also near.
Tender coming out "several times" throughout this FY conveys exactly what I want to convey @RASALGHUL

For all of BDL's prospect this & that , this would be primarily on Rus platforms. Yet to see similar effort on a western platform with joint collab with the OEM. Both Astra & NGARM should have some appeal but only on Rus dependent platform so far until mk1a matures.

1712409884102.png

For all of BDL's prospect this & that , this would be primarily on Rus platforms. Yet to see similar effort on a western platform with joint collab with the OEM. Both Astra & NGARM should have some appeal but only on Rus dependent platform so far until mk1a matures.

View attachment 32882
MBAs who make these have way less understanding of these things than you.@marich01 . 😄

So you don't believe that it has completed developmental trials? I politely disagree.
These beliefs should be based on actual evidence, not hunches based on the time it could have taken. But eventually, it doesn't matter; the status has to come out at some point. I would be happy if undisclosed trials are happening.

Well from those MoD drdo and IAF videos, mk2 already done some captive release parts and we have seen tenders previously of mk2. So its quite ahead compared to something like mk3 sfdr one. There is not much difference trial process integration & DAS wise due to very similar airframe. IAF will only let know via some video hint well down the line at some point.

Btw saw a TARA related tender recently for some raw materials etc. Prioritising the MM projects like Vshorads mpatgm etc in the short term to meet deadline means this TARA type projects get looked at occasionally and even harder to predict what development stage these are at. In comparison SAAW and EO-SAAW are much ahead of the curve. DRDL also taking in data acq system parts which also hint at some trial activities in near future. KAM-500 systems, data card etc need maintenance after one round of trials, faulty parts fixed by OEM authorise rep so that takes time too.

This navy tender for some naval SAM system got extended again. Any guess what it could be? barak 1 ? shtil missile ?
There have been some rumours about IAF ditching Astra 2 for Astra 3, any idea about this? I think it's a bogus or confused report as I think IAF would ditch Astra 1 once Astra 2 is ready. But Astra 2 and 3 are so different......

Reactions: Lolwa and marich01
There have been some rumours about IAF ditching Astra 2 for Astra 3, any idea about this? I think it's a bogus or confused report as I think IAF would ditch Astra 1 once Astra 2 is ready. But Astra 2 and 3 are so different......
No they mistook, Mk2 astra is vital, any airforce want options for variet of ranges, its such with astra as well. Once mk2 completes development trials, and due to very similar airframe will be regularly used in exercise without much noticeable difference.

Mk3 SFDR , no news on it yet, in fact that is not a priority project & quite far away imo. Solid ducted ramjet is critical tech to mature.

Btw, there is a launcher thing ToT being offered by DRDO called as ASREM-3100P, for some airborne stores. Its an ejector one as well. I am curious if its for astra like or for heavier use (Rudram series and so). Can you please identify it & explain?

1713022352203.png

for reference, there was one similar shown in expo before that Adithya showed me, but that was for saaw type light category , not heavier stores. I am curious if they have made a bigger one given R2 trials ongoing and R3 should follow, plus TARA, PGHSLD etc.

No they mistook, Mk2 astra is vital, any airforce want options for variet of ranges, its such with astra as well. Once mk2 completes development trials, and due to very similar airframe will be regularly used in exercise without much noticeable difference.

Mk3 SFDR , no news on it yet, in fact that is not a priority project & quite far away imo. Solid ducted ramjet is critical tech to mature.

Btw, there is a launcher thing ToT being offered by DRDO called as ASREM-3100P, for some airborne stores. Its an ejector one as well. I am curious if its for astra like or for heavier use (Rudram series and so). Can you please identify it & explain?

View attachment 32998

for reference, there was one similar shown in expo before that Adithya showed me, but that was for saaw type light category , not heavier stores. I am curious if they have made a bigger one given R2 trials ongoing and R3 should follow, plus TARA, PGHSLD etc.

It's definitely for some heavier air to surface missile. RudraM series would be my guess too. Astra 3 weighs around 220kgs while Astra 2 would be around 180(my guess) so maybe the universal Astra launcher that we've developed could eject it too.

Anyways, the above is just my guess and I could be wrong here and it could be for Astra MK3 as well. Let's see.