Indian Hypersonic Propulsion Developments

1599464479912.png

India joins US, Russia, China hypersonic Missile club

Government sources said that the DRDO will have the capacity to develop a hypersonic missile with scramjet engine in next five years.

Updated: Sep 07, 2020 13:06 IST
By Shishir Gupta, Hindustan Times New Delhi
1599468311059.png

The design of the HSTDV tested by India on Monday. (Pic: DRDO)

India on Monday become the fourth country after US, Russia and China to develop and successfully test hypersonic technology from APJ Abdul Kalam testing range (Wheeler Island) in Balasore, Odisha, paving the way towards development of missiles travelling at six times the speed of sound (Mach 6).

The test of Hypersonic Test Demonstrator Vehicle (HSTDV), developed by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) was conducted at 11: 03 am today and lasted for five minutes using Agni missile booster.

According to top government sources, this means that the DRDO will have the capacity to develop a hypersonic missile with scramjet engine in next five years, which travels at more than two kilometres per second. The test was led by DRDO Chief Satheesh Reddy and his hypersonic missile team. The HSTDV performed on all parameters including combustion chamber pressure, air intake and control guidance.

At 11:03 am, an Agni missile booster took the hypersonic vehicle to height of 30 km after which the latter separated. Thereafter, the vehicle’s air intake opened and that led to successfully firing of the test scramjet engine. The combustion lasted for more than 20 seconds with the vehicle achieving a speed of six Mach. “The vehicle performed successfully on all the pre-determined parameters including the ability to handle combustion temperatures of over 2500 degrees Celsius as well as air speed,” said a senior official.

Defence Minister Rajnath Singh congratulated the DRDO immediately after the test and praised their efforts to indigenously build a scramjet engine.

So what is the next phase ... more test? We haven't seen any missile layout with a Scramjet engine.
This technology will be utilised in multiple civil & military utilities I presume. Let's see what comes in future.

So this will be the design of the HSTDV complete missile system. The HSTDV Vehicle will be inside the upper part (heatshield) after the required Mach speed achieved for scramjet the heatshield will be separated and the glide vehicle travel in direction of target in hypersonic speed, I think the current design of glide vehicle will have a fixed warhead capacity.

So this will be the design of the HSTDV complete missile system. The HSTDV Vehicle will be inside the upper part (heatshield) after the required Mach speed achieved for scramjet the heatshield will be separated and the glide vehicle travel in direction of target in hypersonic speed, I think the current design of glide vehicle will have a fixed warhead capacity.
I think, the aspect ratio of the pic is a little off. Also notice the fins at the tail end ? They will either need to fold those or remove those before cannisterisation. A strategic missile, that too of this size is definitely going in a cannister. I think there will be some changes to the design in the future.

The first stage is probably from an Agni series of ballistic missiles. I suspect this is only the beginning and we will see dozens of more tests soon enough. Let's see what comes out of it.

Edit: Video is out :

:love: :love: :love: :love:

I think, the aspect ratio of the pic is a little off. Also notice the fins at the tail end ? They will either need to fold those or remove those before cannisterisation. A strategic missile, that too of this size is definitely going in a cannister. I think there will be some changes to the design in the future.

The first stage is probably from an Agni series of ballistic missiles. I suspect this is only the beginning and we will see dozens of more tests soon enough. Let's see what comes out of it.

You beat me in posting this video.

It may be using a multistage rocket motor you can see a split in smoke, Maybe a solid booster separated.

So the thing that took off at 17 seconds is the hypersonic vehicle? What was that?

Reactions: RISING SUN

Checking the video, it looks like it was second test. And vehicle seems to be visible, ejecting from the booster?

It may be using a multistage rocket motor you can see a split in smoke, Maybe a solid booster separated.
So the thing that took off at 17 seconds is the hypersonic vehicle? What was that?
Checking the video, it looks like it was second test. And vehicle seems to be visible, ejecting from the booster?

That's the shadow of the missile and the plume on a cloud. Look again. The video doesn't show any stage separation.

• Agree
Reactions: TARGET
That's what I am also assuming.
No.. the HSTDV separation happens at a height of 30 km.. the phenomenon at 17 seconds happens at a much lower altitude.. it appears to be an atmospheric phenomenon when the missile passes through the cloud cover..

Reactions: Volcano
No.. the HSTDV separation happens at a height of 30 km.. the phenomenon at 17 seconds happens at a much lower altitude.. it appears to be an atmospheric phenomenon when the missile passes through the cloud cover..
Yes, I missed that altitude fact. Thanks for correction.

We are still far, far away from making use of this in an operational system.

Right now, all our hypersonic dreams are reliant on the Russians.