Indian Defense Industry General News and Updates

Must watch
Bharat Forge is making the 76 mm naval gun. I assume it is the OTO Melara 76 mm that BHEL also manufactures under license. BHEL has got some competition then. I wonder if Bharat Forge has a separate licensing agreement with the Italians or is it an extension of the same agreement they have with BHEL.

Baba Kalyani also says they are getting into making 127 mm naval main guns. He doesn't say if they are going for their own design or is it a license with a foreign OEM.

The last time the Navy put out a tender for a 127mm gun there are 2 main contenders:
1. BAE Systems Mk 45 Mod 4 naval main gun
2. Otobreda 127mm 64 cal naval main gun.

The Italians won the contest & signed a licensing agreement with BHEL to manufacture the guns in India. Then Leonardo got blacklisted. So, the Navy negotiated with BAE, who demanded an exorbitant price for those guns. So, the Navy just went back to their 76mm. That's why our large naval ships don't have a 127 mm main gun.

Recently, Leonardo was removed from the blacklist. The Navy definitely favors the Otobreda over the Mk45. I was wondering how this might go from here. Will the Navy call a separate tender again or will they activate the dormant BHEL license agreement? From the looks of it, the Navy is doing the later.

So where does Bharat Forge fit in this arrangement? Maybe both BHEL & BF will produce these guns under license & the Navy will pick the better manufacturer to order from.

The 1st ships to receive these guns would probably be the Shivalik class frigate when they are sent for their MLUs.

Bharat Forge is making the 76 mm naval gun. I assume it is the OTO Melara 76 mm that BHEL also manufactures under license. BHEL has got some competition then. I wonder if Bharat Forge has a separate licensing agreement with the Italians or is it an extension of the same agreement they have with BHEL.

Baba Kalyani also says they are getting into making 127 mm naval main guns. He doesn't say if they are going for their own design or is it a license with a foreign OEM.

The last time the Navy put out a tender for a 127mm gun there are 2 main contenders:
1. BAE Systems Mk 45 Mod 4 naval main gun
2. Otobreda 127mm 64 cal naval main gun.

The Italians won the contest & signed a licensing agreement with BHEL to manufacture the guns in India. Then Leonardo got blacklisted. So, the Navy negotiated with BAE, who demanded an exorbitant price for those guns. So, the Navy just went back to their 76mm. That's why our large naval ships don't have a 127 mm main gun.

Recently, Leonardo was removed from the blacklist. The Navy definitely favors the Otobreda over the Mk45. I was wondering how this might go from here. Will the Navy call a separate tender again or will they activate the dormant BHEL license agreement? From the looks of it, the Navy is doing the later.

So where does Bharat Forge fit in this arrangement? Maybe both BHEL & BF will produce these guns under license & the Navy will pick the better manufacturer to order from.

The 1st ships to receive these guns would probably be the Shivalik class frigate when they are sent for their MLUs.
Both guns are indigenous developments under MAKE 1 procedure, not licensed production from Italy or anyone.

76 mm Naval Gun : https://www.makeinindiadefence.gov....bid_file/Questionnaire_of_76_mm_Naval_Gun.pdf

127 mm Medium Caliber Gun : https://www.makeinindiadefence.gov....bid_file/SoC_OF_127_MM_Medium_Caliber_Gun.pdf

IMG_3574.jpeg

Reactions: marich01
We need a level playing field with PSU shipyards.

PSUs are literally rigged such way to favour each other in such ways it will never be possible under current process. PSUs are essentially a tool of the govt. Then there is one demanding user who want anything everything custom fitted on the same platform without thinking twice about commonality. Result is long delay between projects and unwillingness to let private sector that is big enough/on par get the projects.

Reactions: Rajput Lion
PSUs are literally rigged such way to favour each other in such ways it will never be possible under current process. PSUs are essentially a tool of the govt. Then there is one demanding user who want anything everything custom fitted on the same platform without thinking twice about commonality. Result is long delay between projects and unwillingness to let private sector that is big enough/on par get the projects.
Things have changed drastically, these shipyards are no longer just tools of government (except HSL). They have became corporate and answerable to shareholders. And the user no longer changes design in midway unless it's a new risky design like NGD. Most of the designs of smaller ships are done between MSMEs and shipyards (Biggest example is new tanker).

So at this point they should stop doing the nomination or atleast deliberately minimise it.

Reactions: Rajput Lion
Another open tender to import Israeli maal instead of giving direct order to drdo arudhra.

When we have such dalali going on openly what is the need of shouting about aatmanirbharta

I don't understand how such things are happening under the nose of RM & no one is raising voice against it. Dalals are literally running the shitshow.

It seems like dalals have taken over complete procurement process.

Could not decide where to put , so here. A very good reading.

Jai Hind is my vision, India should win in all domains, military & non-military: Principal Adviser MoD

Have got time to watch completely, very nicely done.

Some observations from shop floor, there were so many Fans (understandable in India), why not have central HVAC, I think it might cost more but would be worth it with the productivity gain.

I think iDEX can float a project for something similar:

Projected Work Instructions on the F-35 Lightning​

Apr 13, 2018
This video shows how ProjectionWorks is helping Northrop Grumman assemble the F-35. The introduction of this installation into the F-35 program is expected to save over $100 million over the life of the program.

Wire harness assembly with projected work instructions​